Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2022, 11:37   #16

Location: Brisbane Australia, heading west after cyclone season
Boat: 2015 Hylas 56
Re: Should I put a Ferris Wheel in my Fridge?

I use the different color net bags. Red for meat, green for veggies, etc.
Work great in the freezer where things are frozen solid. Might be more difficult for the fridge but some things in fridge will work. You can mix the trays and the bags by putting a tray in a bag to hold things upright and you may need to pull out things on the top to get to something on bottom but it is much easier when it is contained in a bag.
Ardens2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2022, 13:58   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinF View Post
Seriously, I have an easy to implement method of improving access to top-loaded fridges and freezers. Keep the food in a small number (4?) of colour-coded plastic shopping bags. Then you only need to lift out one or two to get access to everything.
That work fine up to about the 4th beer.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2022, 15:01   #18

Boat: Island Packet 40

The problem with lust stacking everything in, no matter how it's packaged, is that with time it tends to get all frozen together in one big mass. And even if it does not you have to remove everything on top to the stuff on the bottom.

On my previous boat I put horizontal cleats along the inside walls and used pieces of ply with holes cut out into which I could suspend plastic containers. I could slide the containers back and forward to get at the lower layers.

I am in the process of rebuilding the box in the boat I have now but instead of plywood supports have SS steam table trays suspended on frames with rillers which roll on SS rails.

Ready access to everything in the box and high packing density are what needs to be achieved. If you have the room the newer drawer type refrigerators achieve this nicely.
Old 20-07-2022, 15:38   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
The problem with lust stacking everything in, no matter how it's packaged, is that with time it tends to get all frozen together in one big mass. And even if it does not you have to remove everything on top to the stuff on the bottom.

On my previous boat I put horizontal cleats along the inside walls and used pieces of ply with holes cut out into which I could suspend plastic containers. I could slide the containers back and forward to get at the lower layers.

I am in the process of rebuilding the box in the boat I have now but instead of plywood supports have SS steam table trays suspended on frames with rillers which roll on SS rails.

Ready access to everything in the box and high packing density are what needs to be achieved. If you have the room the newer drawer type refrigerators achieve this nicely.

Your method is a really good idea! ...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 20-07-2022, 20:30   #20

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

I think you've eaten the wrong mushrooms...
Bent Bugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2022, 22:08   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent Bugle View Post
I think you've eaten the wrong mushrooms...
So you have issues with folks who like to keep a tidy fridge?
Old 21-07-2022, 03:22   #22

https://theboatgalley.com/store-food...-organization/

Carolyn has spoken…

https://theboatgalley.com/store-food...-organization/
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2022, 03:59   #23

You could put all that effort into organizing the fridge or into modify the access.

Today I spent a couple of hours looking for an autopilot component to install it then gave up. Later on I accessed the computer and found the wiring for the component already installed. Tomorrow I'm going to crawl all over the boat trying to find where I installed the component. There's no way I would remember what's any further down than about two layers deep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20220123175638.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	441.5 KB
ID:	261319  
Old 21-07-2022, 06:34   #24

Quote:
Yeah, I love how people think top loading is so much more efficient because the cold air doesn't fall out...

But then they take 15min with the door open and half the contents sitting on the counter (warming up) as they dig for stuff.

I get that some boats simply don't have a place for a front loading fridge but for many it's penny wise, pound foolish.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2022, 07:34   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Yeah, I love how people think top loading is so much more efficient because the cold air doesn't fall out...

But then they take 15min with the door open and half the contents sitting on the counter (warming up) as they dig for stuff.

I get that some boats simply don't have a place for a front loading fridge but for many it's penny wise, pound foolish.

All the more reason for the Ferris wheel.
Old 21-07-2022, 07:50   #26

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Murphy says that for a top loader what you want will always be on the bottom, and that for a front loader what you want will always be in the back.

Forget the fresh food, just fill the box with beer, then you'll always get what you want no matter which way the door or top opens.
Old 21-07-2022, 08:53   #27

Boat: Catalina 270, 27 ft

Waste of space.
Bawlmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2022, 09:03   #28

Do you have a wind generator? I'm thinking you could bolt it on there and it would fling you a beer now and then..?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2022, 12:00   #29

Front loaders are not problem free, including everything toppling over or sliding out the door when the boat heels.
Old 21-07-2022, 12:10   #30

Quote:
Front loaders are not problem free, including everything toppling over or sliding out the door when the boat heels.
I had 2 boats with both front and top options. It was great, Best solution for finding things on the bottom for sure. I never had an issue with the front opening, but those doors had secure Fridge style latches too... Neither of these designs had a door that opened flush to the bottom of the fridge... there was a lip there at least 2" high. Not sure I've ever seen one with a flush bottom to door... complete with water leaking out and staining the cabinet front if they are.. I imagine they are out there from some home brew builds I suppose.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ferris wheel, food storage, fridge, wheel