Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31-07-2022, 17:48   #6

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Should I put a Ferris Wheel in my Fridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
No, it's nonsense
No, it is actually awesome.

I was doing my morning coffee and newspaper thing at my favorite diner this morning and, having finished the paper, but having a couple of sips of coffee left, starting pondering on the OPs idea.

One of those blinding flashes of inspiration, which had I been standing up would have driven me to my knees, struck me and I realized that the "ferris wheel" refrigerator configuration would be an excellent way to build a eutectic refrigerator.

Now, instead of using just an axle we have a cylindrical eutectic tank for the axle. Being in the middle it would be in proximity to all the buckets. It would not rotate and the bucket cage would have a number of cam rollers fitted in order to rotate around it.

If one then used a motor with a planetary gearbox and a worm drive on the bucket cage you could power rotate the buckets around and with a timer do so at intervals do that all the buckets experienced the colder part at the bottom of the box. This drive arrangement would be on a pinned attachment at the off worm end so that the cage and buckets could be rotated manually.

I think it's a brilliant idea and would implement it myself if I didn't have my fridge rebuild 3/4 parts done.

Tags
ferris wheel, food storage, fridge, wheel