Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2023, 16:22   #1

Running wires thru the deck

After a very long ordeal to get my rigging replaced, it's finally done.

The old wires that run thru the mast and into the boat, were glued and glassed in. It would have been a huge job to redo it all, something I didn't want to get into.
I need to run the wires from the mast thru the deck to the interior.
I got three wires and antenna cable to bring in.
on the outside I were looking to use a cable clamp.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...000MMH1B2&th=1

or something like this

https://www.amazon.com/SEAVIEW-Water...1K6TFWE8&psc=1

or this

https://www.westmarine.com/west-mari...ch-117283.html

From the look of it, inside the boat I would have wires just sticking out from the roof. I might have to drill three holes.

What can I do to make it look clean?
can I just run all the wires together and use a sealer to make sure water don't get between?

My mast has only the basic wires for lights and antenna.

Thanks
fireant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2023, 16:35   #2

Re: Running wires thru the deck

Is it a keel stepped mast? Typically wires run thru the mast and out somewhere inconspicuous inside.

If deck stepped mast, wires can run down the compression post, with a cover on them that matches the interior. My compression post has a groove in it for wiring.

If you are avoiding the mast for some reason, a strip of wood that matches your interior would be a good way to hide them on the ceiling. Groove cut in the back for the wires.

For sealing, in my experience nothing really sticks to wires over the long term, so doing this inside the mast with "drip loops" is ideal, to avoid sealant all together, or the need for ugly cable clams.
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2023, 16:50   #3

I always use the BlueSea ones. Simple installation with a hole saw. I’ve never had one leak. Use only one wire per fitting so the rubber clamps tightly (this can be a round multiconductor wire). It really doesn’t look bad if you put the wires in a sleeve or wrap with tape from the mast exit to just above the deck.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2023, 17:37   #4

The original wires went through the mast compression post. At some point in its life someone sealed the wires in. Only way was to remove everything and drill it/break it loose. with my work schedule it would have been another two months if everything went perfect.
So had the mast reinstalled and now would run the wires on the outside of the mast.
The rigger also said that would be the best way. as someone sealed everything.
I didn't think of using wood for cover. It would need to be about 4-5in in length at the most as I would need to run it just around the post on the inside.
I will get the BlueSea ones thanks
Old 28-08-2023, 18:12   #5

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I use Index glands similar to this one - which is similar in turn to your Blue Seas one https://www.indexmarine.com/product/...i_cable_gland/
All my masthead wiring goes through two glands - 25 years and still going strong.

Inside they go to a junction box https://www.indexmarine.com/product/..._junction_box/ secured to the deckhead next to the compression post - Except for the VHF which has its own coax plug . From there the wiring all goes under the headliner to the switchboard. So removing the mast only involves removing about 12 inches of wiring.

Hidden from view by a bit of boxwork around the post which also houses a couple of cabin lights.
Old 29-08-2023, 10:31   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

When drilling holes thru deck for wires if the deck is cored with wood, you will need to drill an oversized hole think twice or three times as large as you need for the wires. Tape the bottom of the hole over then fill with epoxy. Let dry. Now drill hole for wires thru epoxy. This seals your deck from water intrusion. Drill a small depth larger hole where your wires are going thru like you were going to countersink a screw. Next put your blue seas cable gland in place. When drilling your hole thru the rubber part of the cable gland make it slightly under sized. This will help the gland to seal. I put a small amount of butyl tape under the gland and around the wires As the gland is screwed down the butyl is forced into that cavity you drilled on the top. Of the epoxy. This ensures you have a watertight seal. Takes a little time but mine never leak. The screws that hold the cable gland should likewise go into oversized epoxy holes if the deck is cored. If it is solid fiberglass you can skip the epoxy part. For below decks they make trim pieces that stick on have a channel for cable and snap shut. Easy to cut and trim. Office Depot stocks it in various colors.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2023, 15:57   #7

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

SS Swan neck cable fittings https://www.amazon.ca/Replaces-Premi.../dp/B09Y5D827X

You could build your own from PVC plumbing components-painted white.https://www.homehardware.ca/en/2-pvc...-hub/p/3622823
Cheers/Len
Old 29-08-2023, 20:34   #8

Medehn, It got plywood core. I was planning on doing just that. I think I got everything I would need to.

deblen, that's interesting I seen it on some boats. will see how it might work on my.

Thanks
Old 30-08-2023, 10:32   #9

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

SS gooseneck is the best fit for me
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck