Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2018, 07:30   #1

Boat: Cabot 36 - Que Sera
Running wires from conduit through a mast cap

I'm planning to replace the existing, small-diameter conduit in my 48-foot aluminum mast, which has a large aluminum cap at the masthead. Wondering whether it would be best to drill through the aluminium cap to feed the wiring directly to the masthead as opposed to exiting through the side of the mast and then going to the masthead. Also wondering how to best locate the end of the conduit given that I will be blind as to its location. Perhaps that will be clearer when I remove the mast to do the job... any guidance would be appreciated.
chuck g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 07:35   #2

Re: Running wires from conduit through a mast cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck g View Post
I'm planning to replace the existing, small-diameter conduit in my 48-foot aluminum mast, which has a large aluminum cap at the masthead. Wondering whether it would be best to drill through the aluminium cap to feed the wiring directly to the masthead as opposed to exiting through the side of the mast and then going to the masthead. Also wondering how to best locate the end of the conduit given that I will be blind as to its location. Perhaps that will be clearer when I remove the mast to do the job... any guidance would be appreciated.
Coming out the side of the mast will greatly reduce the amount of rainwater that gets inside. With a little care, you can eliminate water intrustion almost completely. Exiting the top of the mast requires a gland to do the same thing, one you can not easily inspect.

I assume you will be installing the new conduit by sliding it up from the base of the mast... so just measure for the lengthwise location. How are you attaching the new conduit to the mast?
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 07:44   #3

Boat: Cabot 36 - Que Sera
Re: Running wires from conduit through a mast cap

Thanks for the reply; my plan is to install 1-1/2" plastic conduit if possible (assuming I can fit it in) attached by either stainless or aluminum rivets (I lean toward the latter although I've seen threads cautioning that aluminum may not hold up as well. Drilling pairs of holds, with one to clamp down the conduit and the other to secure it, is my leaning. I haven't entirely ruled out using an adhesive to attach the conduit but lean toward rivets do to ease of removal if necessary down the road.
chuck g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast