Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2021, 08:23   #46
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Prop coating. DON'T DO THIS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukilaumike View Post
I was more than a little surprised to see the shaft and prop covered in barnacles when I hauled her in the fall. Since I had heard such great things about Propspeed, I figured the problem was in the application.
FYI- Propspeed is not an anti fouling paint. It is a foul release coating. It has no biocide and will not retard fouling. It works by creating a surface too slick for fouling growth to remain attached. But it absolutely requires regular cleaning.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 08:38   #47

We have used Prop Speed for 6 years on our cat with haul outs every 2 years. Some barnacles but worked well IMHO. Had to pull 1 prop for balancing but couldn’t get any Prop Speed locally but was able to get Prop One. It’s a 2 part process and goes on just like Prop One but costs less. After 1 year both props looked the same as far as growth which was minimal.
windcastle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 13:59   #48

Boat: C&C 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Give the Pettit stuff a shot. I've been using their Black Widow on my running gear and it seems to work well. I think the top coat in their prop coat package is very similar or the same. It's slippery like PropSpeed (although probably not as slippery), can be polished smooth, and has antifouling properties unlike PropSpeed.

At least in fresh water, it's done a great job keeping zebra mussels off the running gear in low water flow areas (like the tops of the trim tabs), slime is minimal and wipes off very easily, and the props themselves were completely clean (visually and by touch) at haulout last year. No slime, scum, or anything. And the stuff seems durable enough, as it didn't show any wear even at the tips.
We has a 381 up here in the spring and sold it. I got a call yesterday from Ottawa from someone looking for one the same. I'm in Toronto. If yours is available at some point, please let me know. slowasmolasses@hotmail.com will get me direct.
RLMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 15:41   #49

A treatment I have used on my boats that has been pretty successful is to heat the prop to about 100 deg C with a blow torch and then brush on a coat of raw Lanolin. (Lanocote is one brand I have used)
It is very cheap too. Done every year i have had very minimal fouling from barnacles.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 17:18   #50

Boat: Bristol 29

Skipmac, I see your GPS coordinates put you inland in N Florida. Was the marina Green Cove Springs? They told me the same thing. I tried it and moved the boat to the Indian River in Cocoa Beach where the prop stayed clean for about 6 months, then started fouling horribly. After next haul out I did the marker thing again, for no reason other than I was bored waiting to splash. Since then it hasn't fouled, but I'm now upstream in Palatka where the water is almost fresh. Not sure I need any antifouling at all. I think the theory on the black marker is that the creatures are attracted to light, so it may depend a lot on the particular environment you have.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 01:57   #51

Boat: Lidgard 37

Just stick with Propspeed .. stuff is amazing. Regular 18 month cycle.. it would last longer .. just ..you know ..do it while the boats on the hard.
KiwiSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 15:57   #52

Boat: Express 30

No matter what you put on your prop you will always need to jump in the water every now and then to wipe it off. Hell, you should be jumping in the water at least once a month to wipe the entire bottom. Can't believe the same questions that keep coming up like "my speed impeller keeps getting fouled" I've actually seen people complain to the manufacture that their transducers stop working a month after they launch their boat. They don't clean it again until after the boat is hauled the following fall. Don't these people think the manufacture made these things so you can remove them for cleaning? Why do they supply a dummy plug? In the meantime they spend all summer bashing the depthsounder manufacture. Prop Speed might work but it costs a fortune. Not a good value. $35 cans of spray prop antifouling are a waste of money. If you want great protection from prop fouling just go to Home Depot and buy a $8 can of Rust-Oleum Cold Galvanizing Compound. I've been racing for 25 years and nothing works better and I've tried everything.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 13:06   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by badadim View Post
Used PETTIT PROP COAT back in April 2018. Will haulout in October for the 1st time. Standby for the update...

April 2018 IN
October 2021 OUT

This was my first time using PETTIT PROP COAT, the boat did not move between September 2019 and September 2021.

The outcome seems to be very good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180701_160258.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	246241   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211001_090820.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	246242  

Old 01-10-2021, 20:45   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Moon View Post
Skipmac, I see your GPS coordinates put you inland in N Florida. Was the marina Green Cove Springs? They told me the same thing. I tried it and moved the boat to the Indian River in Cocoa Beach where the prop stayed clean for about 6 months, then started fouling horribly. After next haul out I did the marker thing again, for no reason other than I was bored waiting to splash. Since then it hasn't fouled, but I'm now upstream in Palatka where the water is almost fresh. Not sure I need any antifouling at all. I think the theory on the black marker is that the creatures are attracted to light, so it may depend a lot on the particular environment you have.
Yep, Green Cove. Just got the boat back from MA a couple of days ago, hence the slow reply. Pretty good trip. Nine days from Martha's Vineyard to Jacksonville.

I think the marker thing might work in fresh water or there's just not much fouling there. I can guarantee that it works like fertilizer for barnacles in fresh water.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 20:49   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by badadim View Post
April 2018 IN
October 2021 OUT

This was my first time using PETTIT PROP COAT, the boat did not move between September 2019 and September 2021.

The outcome seems to be very good.
Where was the boat for that time? Water fresh, brackish or salt?

I had similar results with Petit Prop Coat but in salt water after 3-4 months. The barnacles were easy to knock off with a plastic scraper. 10-15 minutes free diving cleaned it just fine.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 19:07   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Has anyone tried ceramic graphene coatings ? I’ve been reading about how hard and how slippery they are. I wonder if that’s what propspeed really is. They’re used a lot in auto detailing and I saw recent article about its use as antifouling.
Old 14-10-2021, 21:00   #57
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
Has anyone tried ceramic graphene coatings ? I’ve been reading about how hard and how slippery they are. I wonder if that’s what propspeed really is.
Propspeed is anything but hard.
Old 14-10-2021, 23:40   #58

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Prop speed works on some but not all
I am yet to see a working commercial trawler with it on have been told the props spin to slow to throw fouling off.
That and the crazy price needed to coat a 52 inch 4 blade fan has turned us off.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 23:45   #59

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
No matter what you put on your prop you will always need to jump in the water every now and then to wipe it off.
If that's the case I may as well have nothing
Oh wait........I do have nothing and every 2 months or more I go over and scrape a relatively light covering of calcium like product and a smattering of barnacles off.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 05:31   #60
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
…have been told the props spin to slow to throw fouling off.

Told by whom? Another commercial fisherman?