Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2021, 07:52   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Prop coating. DON'T DO THIS!!

Hauled for bottom paint in May and installed a new prop. Was trying to decide between PropSpeed and Petit Prop Coat when the geniuses at the marina insisted the best thing ever was black permanent magic marker. I expressed serious skepticism so they produced a couple of boat owners that said they did it on their boats and was the best thing ever. Two years later and the prop clean as new.

Like a fool I thought I would try it. Well the results to say the least were dismal. Getting ready to head back south and found the prop to be completely covered in heavy barnacle growth. Worst I've ever had. I think the stuff must act like barnacle fertilizer. So bad I couldn't get it clean just free diving and ended up renting SCUBA gear. Took almost an hour of scraping to get the prop and all the little nooks and crannies (it's a folding prop) clean.

Think I'm going back to Prop Speed
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 07:57   #2

Boat: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Re: Prop coating. DON'T DO THIS!!

Give the Pettit stuff a shot. I've been using their Black Widow on my running gear and it seems to work well. I think the top coat in their prop coat package is very similar or the same. It's slippery like PropSpeed (although probably not as slippery), can be polished smooth, and has antifouling properties unlike PropSpeed.

At least in fresh water, it's done a great job keeping zebra mussels off the running gear in low water flow areas (like the tops of the trim tabs), slime is minimal and wipes off very easily, and the props themselves were completely clean (visually and by touch) at haulout last year. No slime, scum, or anything. And the stuff seems durable enough, as it didn't show any wear even at the tips.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 08:10   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Give the Pettit stuff a shot. I've been using their Black Widow on my running gear and it seems to work well. I think the top coat in their prop coat package is very similar or the same. It's slippery like PropSpeed (although probably not as slippery), can be polished smooth, and has antifouling properties unlike PropSpeed.

At least in fresh water, it's done a great job keeping zebra mussels off the running gear in low water flow areas (like the tops of the trim tabs), slime is minimal and wipes off very easily, and the props themselves were completely clean (visually and by touch) at haulout last year. No slime, scum, or anything. And the stuff seems durable enough, as it didn't show any wear even at the tips.
Thanks. Was not aware of this other Petit stuff. Last haulout I used their zinc spray. https://www.go2marine.com/pettit-spr...UaArtrEALw_wcB

Will look up the Black Widow.
Old 15-09-2021, 08:18   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Looked up the Black Widow and the main page on the Petit website I didn't see a mention for prop coating, only as bottom paint. Does it say on the can or elsewhere it's formulated for props?

Also, I'm spend time in salt and brackish water so not sure if the Black Widow will do as well for me.
Old 15-09-2021, 08:22   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Thanks. Was not aware of this other Petit stuff. Will look up the Black Widow.
Black Widow is one of Pettit's anti fouling products. Marketed to racers. Not specifically for underwater metals. My experience with it was less than wonderful:

https://youtu.be/mbrRDbcw6so
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 08:25   #6

Boat: Chris Craft Catalina 381

Quote:
Looked up the Black Widow and the main page on the Petit website I didn't see a mention for prop coating, only as bottom paint. Does it say on the can or elsewhere it's formulated for props?

Also, I'm spend time in salt and brackish water so not sure if the Black Widow will do as well for me.

It's not specifically meant as a prop coating, but the paint in their new 2 part prop coating kit (Running Gear Guardian) seems to be Black Widow based on the datasheets (they don't explicitly say it, but everything in the TDS and SDS points to it being the same stuff). I haven't tried the kit, mostly because I had the idea to use it on props before the RGG kit came out. I looked around and started thinking "what's out there that's a durable paint, slippery, and cheaper than PropSpeed?"

The Pettit underwater metals guide does indicate Black Widow can be used on metals with a suitable primer underneath. So based on that, I gave it a try and found that it seems durable enough. If you polish it smooth, I'd expect it to work at least as well as PropSpeed, probably a little better if the boat sits at times, as the stuff is pretty slippery to the touch (although maybe not quite as slick as PropSpeed). PropSpeed doesn't have any antifouling properties as far as I know, it just relies on stuff not being able to stick well, so it sheds right off when moving.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 08:40   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Black Widow is one of Pettit's anti fouling products. Marketed to racers. Not specifically for underwater metals. My experience with it was less than wonderful:

https://youtu.be/mbrRDbcw6so
Thanks.

That doesn't look too good at all. Assume this is in your usual SF Bay territory. If so then perhaps it does better in fresh water but not so well in salt.

I used an ablative for the bottom on the last haul. Forget the brand but I think was initials like ABC or BCP or something. Just dove the bottom after a season in a very high fouling harbor and a very light brush with a soft sponge was all it took to remove a very light coat of slime.

So what do you like for prop coating? Seems like the Petit zinc spray and Prop Speed are the two most popular.
Old 15-09-2021, 08:44   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It's not specifically meant as a prop coating, but the paint in their new 2 part prop coating kit (Running Gear Guardian) seems to be Black Widow based on the datasheets (they don't explicitly say it, but everything in the TDS and SDS points to it being the same stuff). I haven't tried the kit, mostly because I had the idea to use it on props before the RGG kit came out. I looked around and started thinking "what's out there that's a durable paint, slippery, and cheaper than PropSpeed?"

The Pettit underwater metals guide does indicate Black Widow can be used on metals with a suitable primer underneath. So based on that, I gave it a try and found that it seems durable enough. If you polish it smooth, I'd expect it to work at least as well as PropSpeed, probably a little better if the boat sits at times, as the stuff is pretty slippery to the touch (although maybe not quite as slick as PropSpeed). PropSpeed doesn't have any antifouling properties as far as I know, it just relies on stuff not being able to stick well, so it sheds right off when moving.
Been several years since I tried Prop Speed. If I recall, for a while they only wanted to sell it through yards and professional channels. I just used standard copper bottom paint on the props for a while and that did pretty well. Tried the Petit 1792 spray and it did ok as well. After a summer sitting in a high fouling harbor (had engine problems and didn't use it much) it took about 10 minutes with a mask and snorkel to knock off the few barnacles that were lightly attached.
Old 15-09-2021, 09:24   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
So what do you like for prop coating?
Nothing is better than Propspeed, IMHO.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 09:38   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I am planning on locating my boat in the Mediterranean and am thinking of switching from Micron to Odyssey Triton due to Pettit's advertised test results. My boat will be docked for longer periods of time and I am concerned about an increase in fouling.

From the comments on this subject here, I will also apply PropSpeed to my prop and shaft.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 09:40   #11

Boat: Sunward 48

We've had great success with PropPurr™. Doesn't need professional application and only takes 30-40 minutes for the new coating.

PropPurr™ only works on bronze or brass though, since it chemically bonds to copper for coating adhesion.

It's legal to carry on the plane, in your luggage, so we would bring it down to our boat in the Caribbean.
Locquatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 09:48   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Son in law has been using it on his sport fisherman for a few years and swears by Prop Speed.
Old 15-09-2021, 09:54   #13

Boat: Chapparel Signature 24

Paint choice aside, when a friend of mine left his boat in Panama for 3 months, he put a plastic bag tightly around his props. Upon return, removed bags and there was no growth. Maybe because critters could not get in, or there was no oxygen available for them, but it worked.
tomcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 09:55   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I went with PropGlide last year. Right after splash we spent two weeks in the Marina in Bonaire and, once we were on a ball and in the water, noticed that the port prop coating was taken out by electric current. It turned out not to be a problem with our boat so I suspect that it was current from the very dodgy mono being lived on in the same slip, port side. Starboard prop performed as well as the Propspeed we've used previously.

Initially, I suspected my boat but the yard eliminated that at haulout. Before that I contacted PropGlide for advice and sent them pictures. Even though they didn't see that it was their failure they sent a replacement kit to give their product another try for this season. At USD $400 for a Large kit and not their fault thats some nice customer service.
ixnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 10:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixnax View Post
I went with PropGlide last year. Right after splash we spent two weeks in the Marina in Bonaire and, once we were on a ball and in the water, noticed that the port prop coating was taken out by electric current. It turned out not to be a problem with our boat so I suspect that it was current from the very dodgy mono being lived on in the same slip, port side. Starboard prop performed as well as the Propspeed we've used previously.

Initially, I suspected my boat but the yard eliminated that at haulout. Before that I contacted PropGlide for advice and sent them pictures. Even though they didn't see that it was their failure they sent a replacement kit to give their product another try for this season. At USD $400 for a Large kit and not their fault thats some nice customer service.
A good argument for an isolation transformer. As soon as that leakage current got done with your coating it was going to work on the prop itself!
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote