Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2024, 02:14   #46

Re: Project boat as first boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaKingFishy View Post
I work in the industry & am a liveaboard- 5 years & counting…Buy a well maintained boat- a “project boat” is likely neglected- wet decks, leaking rudder post,, cracked pulpit, rotten stringers, bad chainplates, etc…I get you’re a DIY guy, but let’s say you need new chainplates…do you have metal fabrication machines? Otherwise just those will run thousands in costs.
Yup gonna stick to a boat that's actually in decent condition and leave the projects for the shipwrights and dreamers
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 08:48   #47

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA

I noticed that boats in Europe seem to be pretty small. I recommend something with two staterooms, and a place for a washer and dryer. In the U.S., that means almost 50 feet long.

I bought a 42ft express cruise for about $100K USD in 2014 and put about $30K in it before selling in 2021 for about $100K USD. It was a 1978 Sealine 420 Statesman that planed at 20kts.

I'm retired and did almost all the work myself; it was a 6hr per day job. It included replacing both engines.

I lived on it a while, but it didn't have enough room. A better choice is a yacht trawler; maybe a fast trawler that goes about 10 kts.

I'm good at mechanical, electrical and fiberglass. All that is necessary to keep cost down. Roller painting with something like Interlux Perfection needs real skill.

I must say all that was definitely worth it, but you have to enjoy maintenance challenges. We explored much of the Bahamas!
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 08:53   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneM View Post
I bought a 42ft express cruise for about $100K USD in 2014 and put about $30K in it before selling in 2021 for about $100K USD.
You bought at the very bottom of the market and sold at the covid heights.
Those numbers will not be repeated in our lifetimes.
Old 09-03-2024, 15:37   #49

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

There are still some bargains in auction boats out there but you really need to know what your looking at. I've been told many times a boat was just in need of TLC then turned out to be total turds when I broke out the extendable mirror and found a damaged keel grid.
On the other hand, one of the best ones I fund was a West Sail 32 at a boatyard auction. Most auctions don't allow you to inspect the boat until about 30 minutes before the auction, for obvious reasons. I went on a late Sunday afternoon a week prior to the auction and gave it a thorough inspection.
The engine only had 60 hours on it, it had an SSB, full instruments still in boxes under the v birth, the interior was beautiful, the rigging heavy duty, new sails in bags, etc, etc. But it looked ugly from sitting in a boatyard for six years.
Scared most buyers away, got it for $6,000.00.
Varnish, lots of cleaning, cleaned fuel and water tanks, buff, polish, motor started straight away. Sold it to a couple who sailed away on it the year after.
But, you better know what your looking at, yard auctions are best since the boat didn't sink, get hit by lightning or hit a solid object underway.
Now that the covid surge is over there might be more yard auction opportunities.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 06:40   #50

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighpilot View Post
It’s a bad idea for a number of reasons. Having no boating experience you’ll be unable to assess how much time and money repairs will cost. Further , you’re unlikely to have the skills needed to fix the boat. And finally , once you have completed the project , you’ll have more in it than it’s worth and most likely have a boat unsuited to your needs.

I’d suggest sailing other people’s boats until you have enough experience to know what’s good or bad and what kind of boat actually suits your needs. In this time keep saving the money you’d have spent on repairs , yard fees and insurance etc and you’ll have enough to buy the correct boat in good condition when you’re ready to go sailing.
Good point.

Many of the sailing schools have "fleet boats" that they will rent out (with/without a captain) for 1`/2 day, full day.

They also have day sails, races where you can participate for a fee.

This allows you the opportunity to sail on different boats in different situations to see what they are like, and to gain experience.

My two cents

cheers
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 07:50   #51

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnerman View Post
Good point.

Many of the sailing schools have "fleet boats" that they will rent out (with/without a captain) for 1`/2 day, full day.

They also have day sails, races where you can participate for a fee.

This allows you the opportunity to sail on different boats in different situations to see what they are like, and to gain experience.

My two cents

cheers
You could do that, but a lot of those schools are crazy expensive.

You can buy a starter sailboat for around $4,000 that's sailable right off.

It's up to you as to which way to go.

I still have my starter monohull for various reasons that I paid under $4,000 for in 2011.

I was sailing it within a couple weeks after I bought it and am still sailing it.

Many times it appears those that want a project boat simply enjoy working on boats sometimes more than sailing them.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2024, 21:41   #52

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You could do that, but a lot of those schools are crazy expensive.

You can buy a starter sailboat for around $4,000 that's sailable right off.

It's up to you as to which way to go.

I still have my starter monohull for various reasons that I paid under $4,000 for in 2011.

I was sailing it within a couple weeks after I bought it and am still sailing it.

Many times it appears those that want a project boat simply enjoy working on boats sometimes more than sailing them.
I think you are right in suggesting some people "simply enjoy working on boats sometimes more than sailing them". I have very much enjoyed building Helenand up until last yearthought of getting a crew to help sail her to Africabut, family wise, time has run out.

Others like spending a fortune belting a little white ball around the countrysideand end up with nothing to show for it
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, project