Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2023, 14:13   #46

Boat: IP 44
Re: Power Tool Brands - Accessibility

I would pick one, maybe two brands for rechargeable power tools and stick with it. The lithium batteries last a long time. But I dont want a bunch of different chargers and battery type taking up space. Spare parts? I dont know what that means. Ive never needed to repair a power tool. Brand is pretty meaningless among the top makers. My personal is Milwaukee and Bosch. But its like asking what your favorite oil is. Just pick one.
CrispyCringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2023, 06:08   #47

I think most folks have already committed to a brand. I've been happy with Dewalt. When I first made the switch to 20v lithium, Milwaukee and Makita only had basic driver/drill, Sawzall, and some other tools. I wanted to go full cordless with circular saw, jigsaw, trim router, etc. Dewalt fit the bill and have worked fine for me. Ryobi has a more expensive selection of tools, but I've always viewed Ryobi as a bargain brand but maybe that's changed. Regardless, I have a couple grand in cordless tools, all Dewalt. Won't switch horses unless a compelling reason arises. I'm sure other brands are good too. Not sure where I'd land if I started from scratch.

BTW - one reason to go with something other than Dewalt is theft. Dewalt is extremely common and the larger batteries very expensive. I lost a couple of 5ah batteries to theft from jobsite workers.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2023, 08:49   #48

What has been people's experience with the harsh, salty environment on boats? Do these tools corrode and stop working pretty quick? And has anyone tried to get repair/replacement under warranty if they do die quickly?
mdhanlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2023, 09:44   #49

I bought in to Makita cordless with a full line of tools. Worst ever. To be fair, that was 20 years ago. Haven't bought a Makita product since though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2023, 11:30   #50

Well, There are times when the choice is not yours. I had been moaning one day about the bluddy cord always restricting me and generally being a PITA.

A kind friend of the female persuasion presented with a kit consisting of drill motor, driver and two 18V batteries with charger with the words: "A tool that calls itself "rigid" just HAS to be good!"

I blushed becomingly, of course, and found myself locked into the Rigid battery pattern, and I've had no reason to complain about the tools. So I wuz sculling around HomeDepot (cries of "Shame!") for a mini-router. The salesman said: "Look 'ere: You buy this 'ere Rigid 4 amp/hr battery and charger kit, and I'll throw in the router!". And so 'e did!

I can only say that for old geezers like me, having Rigid tools is not so bad.

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2023, 12:12   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post

I can only say that for old geezers like me, having Rigid tools is not so bad.

TP
Probably not news to you, but most Ridgid tools carry a lifetime warranty (including sanders!!!). I've heard from others that Home Depot honors these warranties without a hiccup. IMPORTANT: You do need to register the purchase. It's easy to do online, but it must be done. Do it immediate - easiest place to grab the serial number is on the box. And you'll need the receipt (or order number for online orders).
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2023, 14:39   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSboatman View Post
Something that hasn’t come up in this discussion is Li-ion battery safety. I remember reading a thread a couple years back about a ~35’ sailboat being lost on a boisterous Gulf of Mexico crossing due to drill motor batteries lighting off under the Vee berth (presumably due to mechanical abrasion or impact).

It sounded quite harrowing and with a very bad end.

There’s a lot of stored energy in a few drill batteries - and I do remember the poster declining to identify the brand in question, saying only that it was a well known and respected brand.

Anyone have any experience or research to relate on this aspect of small-boat borne tools?
I had a Dewalt NiMH batter start smoking in the charger in our house years ago. I have a bunch of NiMh Dewalt tools, I think 18v, and this was the last working battery. I took it out of the charger, put it in the drill, drilled a few holes in a plastic planter and put the battery back in the charger.

Shortly there after I started smelling something. Got and up and start looking for the source of the smell, and found the battery smoking like a chimney. The battery charger was on a counter under a wall cabinet and if the battery had caught fire it very well could have burned down the house. I unplugged the battery charger, put on some welders gloves we use for the wood stove, and threw the battery and charger outside onto some gravel. The battery case was melted and it was not going to take long before it caught fire.

After that near miss, I lived for many years without a battery power tool and just used corded tools.

However, a few years ago, I HAD to have a battery powered drill so I bought a new Li battery powered Dewalt on sale. I only charge the batteries where I can watch them, thankfully they charge fast and hold the charge, AND if they do catch fire, they are in a place where the house won't burn down.

The batteries are too danged expensive compared to corded tools but there was not power where I needed to drill so battery power would have to do.

I am very, very careful with these batteries both during charging and storage. On a boat I would create some sort of padded box to protect the battery contacts and the battery case.

There are many, many, many videos of skate, scooter and bike batteries catching fire and they are scary. On a boat it would be a nightmare with a high chance of destroying the boat and killing people...

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2023, 15:24   #53

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColourfulOwl View Post
I'm sure this might open a right can of worms....

But I'm interested in hearing from you all as to which power tool brand has been the most accessible and had readily available parts (batteries)? As well as having a diverse range of tools to cover all your boating needs.

I'm currently in the process of moving all the tools and supplies on to my boat, but my home tool collection is filled with random tools, mostly from different manufactures (Dewalt, Ryobi, Worx, Bosch, Milwaukee etc etc). This means they all have different batteries, with different chargers... etc etc...

It's a bit of a mess really. Going forward I'd rather invest into one ecosystem so I don't have so much tool clutter!
Well, Colourful Owl, ours are a mad mix, ranging from an old B & D cord type electric drill through our Milwaukee 28 v. cordless, and tools we picked up for jobs as needed. Even in the islands in the Pacific (pretty undeveloped by modern standards) you can usually find a way to complete an urgent job.

So, I'd say, take with you what you feel are essential tools, with updated batteries; figure out how to make one charger work for all; and plan to buy more when they fail due to age or succumb to planned obsolescence. Plan, also, ways to amuse yourself while you wait for them to arrive where you need them.

From the posts above, it seems to me that Milwaukee or Rigid, Makita or Bosch all make good quality tools. So choose, and stick with one of them for your replacements.

Ann
Old 20-07-2023, 16:52   #54

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColourfulOwl View Post
I'm sure this might open a right can of worms....

But I'm interested in hearing from you all as to which power tool brand has been the most accessible and had readily available parts (batteries)? As well as having a diverse range of tools to cover all your boating needs.

I'm currently in the process of moving all the tools and supplies on to my boat, but my home tool collection is filled with random tools, mostly from different manufactures (Dewalt, Ryobi, Worx, Bosch, Milwaukee etc etc). This means they all have different batteries, with different chargers... etc etc...

It's a bit of a mess really. Going forward I'd rather invest into one ecosystem so I don't have so much tool clutter!
Really, everything is available worldwide, with online ordering.
From all the above posts it is clear that most brands will work. I would say these are the considerations:
- Some tools are still best as corded, ie items that are used hours at a time (large sanders), or anything with motors larger than 1500 Watt, ie circular saws, large grinders, large routers, large beltsanders)
- Yes, it is best to use one battery system
- Determine what tools you need or want
- Ensure your selected brand has them in their range
- Check if the prices are in your budget, or do no cause cardiac failure
- Maybe the availability of a charger that works straight of the ship's battery is important (without using an inverter)

I have a large range of corded tools (mainly Makita, and many 30-40 year old), but none of that is on the boat.
I have also a large range of battery tools, and I tried to stick to one brand over the years. Was unsuccessful. Main reason was a specific tool I needed, ie 90 degree drill Milwaukee 28 Volt, or I wanted the Milwaukee polisher M18FAP180 , so got also a 18 Volt battery setup.
I have now Milwaukee 12, 18 and 28 Volt, AEG 12 and 18 Volt, and some Ryobi 18 Volt. All good. But on the boat I have AEG 18 Volt, and Milwaukee 12, 18 and 28 Volt.
BTW, I believe AEG (sold in Oz only by Bunnings and TDK) is from the same stable as Ryobi and Milwaukee and quality and price wise, sits in between these.

My worst experience is using non-genuine batteries, None of them lasted over 2 years.
Old 20-07-2023, 17:35   #55

Surprisingly, code doesn't require a smoke alarm in the garage. Our bedroom is directly above it. Bedrooms and living spaces do require smoke alarms.

I put a smoke alarm in the garage, on the principle that it should at least increase the time available to evacuate, and maybe even allow us to put the fire out.

I leave batteries charging in there. Including the e-bike.
Old 20-07-2023, 17:55   #56

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
There are many, many, many videos of skate, scooter and bike batteries catching fire and they are scary. On a boat it would be a nightmare with a high chance of destroying the boat and killing people...

There is wide variation in the quality of Li-ion cells. There is wide variation in the care taken in bundling these into packs.

High quality cells are safer than sloppily made cells. There are safety standards. There are tests. The good quality cells pass these. Careful pack makers cushion the cells, balance voltages, and limit temperature.

The cheap scooter/ebike battery packs built by no-name makers from the cheapest obtainable cells in places where there is no product liability are examples of what can go wrong with sloppy, irresponsible design.

The risk from well-made packs is not zero but neither is a carefully designed propane system, shore power, diesel, dinghy gas, etc.
Old 21-07-2023, 06:48   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Milwaukee.

We started with 28 volt Milwaukee 1/2 inch right angle drill with 2:1 reduction for power driving winches. That dictated the remainder of the tool package to use the same batteries and charger. These are very powerful and most get used often. These are available individually or in sets as factory reconditioned for a lot less than new. Sets often include batteries and a charger. This amounted to two chargers and three batteries on board.

The Other tools as a set in a bag:
Big reciprocating saw
Drill with 2-speed and variable, torque control and impact capable.
Circular saw
Right angle grinder
Light
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0149.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	278412  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 06:55   #58

I am dedicated to Milwaukee. The big brands are all good but once you starting investing in batteries that form factor is yours for life. Milwaukee has always had a wide range of tools. Last winter I bought an M12 (12v) pvc pipe shear to speed the winter storage frame build. It seemed silly bordering on extravagant as the old M18 mini Sawzall worked well in past years. Wow was I wrong. That Milwaukee tool was brilliant. First no saw dust! The shear sliced off pvc sections with clean edges and no mess. If I were starting over I would focus on their M12 tools. Their motor technology has advanced to the point that these smaller, lighter tools are perhaps more powerful than the old M28 tools I have. Some of them are 15 years old which also says something about their durability. I have never broken a Milwaukee cordless tool. On the hard, it’s a 12 foot drop deck-to-pavement—takes a lickin’ and keeps on ticking.
Laxlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 07:10   #59

No matter how you look at it, most, if not all these power tools are made in that wonderful country, china. If your looking for something you may use just a few times get the tool from Harbor Freight. I'm partial to just about anything that's not dewalt, just think that particular brand is overrated and overpriced.
Battery powered tools are convenient, the problem is the technology is changing and so will the type of battery fitment, when that happens your tool will become obsolete or you'll have to purchase some aftermarket battery that is not worth the powder to blow it to hell.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 07:23   #60

Boat: Mariner 38 Pilot House

This is an easy one.

Milwaukee M12 is compact and if you can imagine it they have a tool for it. They’re compact and have plenty of power for boat projects. Add to this the Pack-Out line of tool box’s that are sealed and lock to both a base and each other allowing you to store tool’s safely aboard with zero risk they’ll fly across the locker or cabin.

Don’t take my word for just look in the back of any tradesman’s van as the products are taking over.

Mikita was my previous go to but Milwaukee has decimated them in recent years.
mcon12000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power