Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2012, 11:17   #1

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Painting ally masts?

After a lot of thought and after removing all the old paint from both masts, I’m just about to buy Interlux Brightside paint, along with associated precoats and primers .
I’ve never painted masts before, and would value helpful comments and/or tricks from members who have used this paint on old ally masts. We propose to use the roll and tip method.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 11:43   #2
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Painting ally masts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
After a lot of thought and after removing all the old paint from both masts, I’m just about to buy Interlux Brightside paint, along with associated precoats and primers .
I’ve never painted masts before, and would value helpful comments and/or tricks from members who have used this paint on old ally masts. We propose to use the roll and tip method.

Personally I would never use a one part paint to topcoat aluminum. When coating anything aluminum 95% of the job is in the etch, alodine, epoxy primer, and prep. After all that saving a few bucks on the topcoat is unwise IMHO. Also most of the benefits of the roll and tip method are negated when shooting a stick, ie no overspray. It's very easy to build a mini "tube" tent around the stick with an intake fan in one end and an outtake fan in the other so you can spray with total protection. This also provides protection from dust and pretty much gaurantees a great finish. However if you just don't have or can't get spray equipment or don't want to deal with it, you can get a nice finish brushing too-no roller needed or wanted on such a small contoured surface. But I wouldn't recommend doing it with Brightsides. Use an LPU instead.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 11:54   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

ditto minaretts comment,a 2 pack polyeurathane will still look good in 10+ years time,where as a single pack paint will have faded and peeled long before.

false economy with all the effort envoled dropping the mast.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 11:57   #4

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

might wanna read thru this one
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ick-50186.html
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 11:58   #5

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

opps just read that they were painted, in which case you should repaint with 2 part...

and anodized mast that has never been painted is another story, why paint...
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 12:21   #6

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter

Just wanted to give you some insights... we finished painting a 52' aluminum boat and a 72 foot mast and boom.
Thoughts about painting aluminum have changed; the experts no longer embrace all the solvents and etching which often leave moisture in the metal and cause corrosive creeping.
Current best practice is to lightly sandblast aluminum, vacuum and immediately apply chromate primer. We actually purchased a small sandblaster for boat parts and it worked great. After the chromate primer comes the paint primer and then the paint. I second the thoughts on two part; you can either brush or spray as you will get a great finish either way. We used Alexseal paint and are very happy two years later.
With all aluminum, the devil is in the prep..... and light sandblasting is way ahead of any kind of sanding or grinding.
Hope this helps. Fair Winds, Dr. Michele
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 12:28   #7

Well I did start by reading the Allgrip data sheets, but even though my boat is near the space center, I don’t actually know any rocket scientists to help me.
I can't possibly set up anything to spray the masts in this boatyard, so I've got to paint it by hand.
I've never used a two part paint before, so I was more after trying to keep it simple, rather than saving pennies.
I guess you are all saying, if I use interlux I should use their two part system?
Old 26-03-2012, 12:36   #8

Hi Sailnautilus.
Everyone says the result is in the preparation, so I don't mind spending a bit more time on it all.
Could you give me information about the sandblaster. Unless the same restrictions apply as with spraying, I could maybe use one of those, then Interlux perfection.
Old 26-03-2012, 12:39   #9
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Well I did start by reading the Allgrip data sheets, but even though my boat is near the space center, I don’t actually know any rocket scientists to help me.
I can't possibly set up anything to spray the masts in this boatyard, so I've got to paint it by hand.
I've never used a two part paint before, so I was more after trying to keep it simple, rather than saving pennies.
I guess you are all saying, if I use interlux I should use their two part system?

Start here- http://www.awlgrip.com/ProdLit/ApplicationGuideR.pdf

Surface Preparation and Priming - Aluminum

And remember that you do know some rocket scientists here on the internet who are always happy to help with advice!

Interlux Perfection requires you to prime with 2000e, which I feel is too soft a primer for topsides applications that see high chafe/wear like a stick, though it certainly has it's place. This is the same product used for barrier coating bottoms. I much prefer 545 to any other epoxy primer for this sort of application, whatever topcoat you use. Perfection is also not a true LPU, though it is 2 part. Sterling or Awlgrip are much better choices. Sterling is easier to brush, but Awlgrip lasts longer, wears harder, and is glossier.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote