Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2012, 19:45   #1

Boat: Morris Justine 36'
Painting a Cabinet

I built a cabinet with four drawers on my J/27. The face frame and drawer boxes are constructed from half-inch okoume plywood and the drawer fronts are teak. I want to paint the face frame white because I think it will make the teak stand out. Total area is probably about 5 sq ft. What primer and paint would you recommend--do I need to go to the expense of Interlux? I keep the boat in fresh water (a Minnesota lake) and it is "mostly dry."

Also, should I paint the edges of the plywood (drawer box edges and face frame cut-outs) with a thin coat of West System to prevent moisture from getting between the plywood layers? Do I need to treat the entire drawer boxes with some sort of sealant.

The top surface of the cabinet is also okoume, but I glued a laminate on top of that.

I hope to have the most cruiser-friendly J/27 around. This is my attempt to have both a fun racer for club races and a nice day sailer/cramped weekender for my family.
FecklessDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 20:24   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Painting a cabinet

I would use a marine grade oil based enamel....like Interlux, Duralux, Z-Spar or Pettit.

Latex paints from Home Depot etc are just not as good in a marine environment.

Use an epoxy undercoat, like West System, if you think it will be subject to moisture.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 21:19   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Painting a cabinet

I agree with the Marine enamels +1 and remember what the surface is like under the paint is what makes a GREAT paint job!! spend the time finishing the surfaces to be painted before and after the epoxy under coat !! Pros spend the time to get that SMOOTH surface and get that nice Shine we all love and makes cleaning easier when the paints right !! and Makes your Varnish Outstanding !! Just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 15:45   #4
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Painting a Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FecklessDolphin View Post
Also, should I paint the edges of the plywood (drawer box edges and face frame cut-outs)........ Do I need to treat the entire drawer boxes with some sort of sealant.
You don't have to paint all... In fact, if you leave some edge of the plywood exposed, it gives the water a chance to get into the heart of your furniture so it can start delaminating years earlier than if you diligently cover the entire lot. Thrice.

But don't forget to:

a) make the gaps between drawers and units a few mm bigger than you'd expect, to accommodate the extra layers of paint / varnish / enamel.

b) keep the drawers out of the units until a week (at least) after the paint / varnish / enamel has pretended to dry and set.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 15:53   #5

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

There are a line of products which are perfectly suited to marine duty,,some of these products have an Anti-Mold compound built right in.
Here is a link to one such product. Rhino Hide All Weather Armor - The “Elastomeric” Urethane Armor

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:35   #6

Boat: Morris Justine 36'

Thank you for the responses. At this point things are sanded smooth and ready for finishing. DavidM and bobandconnie both recommend epoxy barrier coating which West System suggests I apply with a roller. Should I attempt to barrier coat the interior of the drawers, rolling as close as I can to the corners, then working it into the corner with a brush--or am I just going to make a mess? Would I be cutting too many corners if I just apply epoxy barrier coat to the edges of the cut plywood to prevent delamination and use a product that is easier to apply on the rest?
FecklessDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote