Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2022, 11:57   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Ventura Harbor
Boat: Cal 2-25
Posts: 83
Outboard service

New owner here, looking at owners' manual for 4 stroke fuel injected outboard on my 25' sailboat. I'm up for routine maintenance but wondering where/how to get qualified service for 100, 200 hours? Looking around me (Ventura harbor) I don't see a lot of options. I mean, there are a couple of boatyards, but they do things like haul outs and major repairs. Would they even be interested in a routine service of a 10 hp outboard? Some other places nearby that look more like they do this type of work but they are not on the water. How am I supposed to get the motor in there for the service? Is there such a thing as a mobile service that comes to you?

Other option is to buckle up, buy required tools and do all maintenance myself I guess. I'd almost rather just pay a bit extra for qualified service, and less chance of getting stranded somewhere.
Welti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 12:18   #2
Registered User
 
Tayana42's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Long Beach, CA
Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Posts: 2,804
Outboard service

Outboard motor service Ventura California. Google it and your will find local options.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 12:32   #3
Moderator
 
Jammer's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Boat: Tartan 3800
Posts: 5,115
Re: Outboard service

I have a 26' boat with an 8hp outboard for a while and have had small outboards for years on other boats.

Finding good service is a real problem. There are lots of service places that aren't really that good at what they do. Lots of stories of people who pay for annual maintenance then get out on the water in the spring and the engine won't start.

Yes, there are places where you take the motor off and bring it in, places where you bring the boat on a trailer, places where you bring the boat in the water to their dock, a few places that will come to you. Most full-service marinas that mainly work on larger boats are also happy to work on a boat with an outboard.

Locally, here, most people bring the boat to someone on a trailer.

I do my own outboard repairs. Most of the 100/200 hour service items are easy to do.
__________________
The best part of an adventure is the people you meet.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 13:43   #4
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lower Chesapeake Bay Area
Boat: Bristol 27
Posts: 10,713
Re: Outboard service

All the maintenance on small outboards is pretty easy if you are that type guy.

Otherwise you can spend hundreds of dollars on say the replacement of a $10 impeller. (yearly requirement but you can easily go two years)

Your 10 hp it's going to be pretty heavy also to remove for maintenance which is another reason I like my 5 hp 4 stroke for my 27' 6600 lb displacement sailboat with almost nothing hooked to it besides a fuel line for long distance motoring.

And at 57 lbs. you can lift it by hand leaning over the stern railing

An since it's about the same size as the PO's dinghy outboard it can fit on the stern railing dinghy outboard mount
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00171.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	268283  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 13:44   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Ventura Harbor
Boat: Cal 2-25
Posts: 83
Re: Outboard service

I suppose I can do most of it but eventually there will be something that is over my head. Maybe I'll check Craigslist for mobile marine mechanics.
Welti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 14:06   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Ventura Harbor
Boat: Cal 2-25
Posts: 83
Re: Outboard service

I did find a mobile mechanic in my area. Retired guy, charges $80 an hour.
Welti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2023, 12:13   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Ventura Harbor
Boat: Cal 2-25
Posts: 83
Re: Outboard service

Update: I found a local guy to work on my 9.8 HP outboard, which has around maybe 100 hours and a year and a half of calendar time on it. I have a plan to get it off my boat and to the mechanic. Now the issue is that the Marina has a clause in the agreement that you can't have a boat without auxiliary power in the slip. So, if I take the motor off for a week to get it to the mechanic, service, and back on the boat, I will have violated the agreement. I know for a fact that many of the boats in this marina do not have reliable/working aux propulsion, but not sure I want to to be in violation. Seems like maybe I'm back to hauling out the boat just for outboard maintenance? It has a 9' beam so trailering it anywhere would be perhaps complicated ( I believe 8' is limit here in CA for trailering without permit).

What do other people do!??
Welti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2023, 13:57   #8
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 14,691
Images: 66
Re: Outboard service

Hi Welti, well, you know I pull my engine and take it to the shop when needed. I haven't checked my marina's rules on that. Perhaps I have been in violation. Really I doubt anyone will notice and/or object to the boat missing its engine for a week or so. And how would they know? In any event, you are welcome to borrow my oars for the time needed!
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2023, 14:12   #9
Registered User
 
Kettlewell's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Finnsailer 38
Posts: 5,703
Re: Outboard service

You've found your guy, but one way to find this type of service in the future is to look around the marina for other folks with a similar motor and ask them what they do. Don't immediately dismiss the boatyard or marina mechanic--sometimes they are the best around. I have found in general independent mechanics are better and less expensive than going to the dealer that also sells the motors, but not always. The dealers will usually have all the parts, but they tend to be the most expensive too.
__________________
JJKettlewell
"Go small, Go simple, Go now"
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2023, 18:43   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Ventura Harbor
Boat: Cal 2-25
Posts: 83
Re: Outboard service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Hi Welti, well, you know I pull my engine and take it to the shop when needed. I haven't checked my marina's rules on that. Perhaps I have been in violation. Really I doubt anyone will notice and/or object to the boat missing its engine for a week or so. And how would they know? In any event, you are welcome to borrow my oars for the time needed!
HI Don, I LOVE it! Even just one oar.
What size is yours?
Welti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2023, 18:48   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Ventura Harbor
Boat: Cal 2-25
Posts: 83
Re: Outboard service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
You've found your guy, but one way to find this type of service in the future is to look around the marina for other folks with a similar motor and ask them what they do. Don't immediately dismiss the boatyard or marina mechanic--sometimes they are the best around. I have found in general independent mechanics are better and less expensive than going to the dealer that also sells the motors, but not always. The dealers will usually have all the parts, but they tend to be the most expensive too.
I have asked around once or twice when I ran into someone on the dock. It seems they are all inboard, or they just pull the whole boat every couple years. One guy said just leave it. Change the upper unit oil and spark plugs yourself and don't worry about lower unit. That doesn't match what I'm seeing in the owners manual though.
Welti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2023, 08:54   #12
Moderator
 
Jammer's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Boat: Tartan 3800
Posts: 5,115
Re: Outboard service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welti View Post
Update: I found a local guy to work on my 9.8 HP outboard, which has around maybe 100 hours and a year and a half of calendar time on it. I have a plan to get it off my boat and to the mechanic. Now the issue is that the Marina has a clause in the agreement that you can't have a boat without auxiliary power in the slip. So, if I take the motor off for a week to get it to the mechanic, service, and back on the boat, I will have violated the agreement. I know for a fact that many of the boats in this marina do not have reliable/working aux propulsion, but not sure I want to to be in violation. Seems like maybe I'm back to hauling out the boat just for outboard maintenance? It has a 9' beam so trailering it anywhere would be perhaps complicated ( I believe 8' is limit here in CA for trailering without permit).

What do other people do!??

Take the motor to your outboard repair guy. 90% odds no one will care. If they do, well, figure something else out for next time. Or purchase a cheap, lightweight used motor that you can install so that you are in technical compliance with the agreement.


A fact of life with marinas is that there are usually extensive contract provisions that, in reality, are selectively complied with and selectively enforced.
__________________
The best part of an adventure is the people you meet.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2023, 09:00   #13
Registered User
 
Chotu's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Posts: 11,832
Re: Outboard service

Stupid marinas and their rules. Maybe while itís at the shop you could hang a piece of cardboard like this off the back. Lolol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C4CF9BD5-5B86-4C2D-BDA3-8E10373D6D0A.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	282480  
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2023, 09:54   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Ventura Harbor
Boat: Cal 2-25
Posts: 83
Re: Outboard service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Stupid marinas and their rules. Maybe while itís at the shop you could hang a piece of cardboard like this off the back. Lolol
Very creative. That and the oar!
Welti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2023, 09:56   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Ventura Harbor
Boat: Cal 2-25
Posts: 83
Re: Outboard service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Take the motor to your outboard repair guy. 90% odds no one will care. If they do, well, figure something else out for next time. Or purchase a cheap, lightweight used motor that you can install so that you are in technical compliance with the agreement.


A fact of life with marinas is that there are usually extensive contract provisions that, in reality, are selectively complied with and selectively enforced.
I wouldn't have even asked except I wanted to reverse the boat stern-in to make it easier to get the engine off/on and I thought there might be an issue with that, since no one else parks their boats that way.
Welti is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
outboard, service

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Outboard Service Dockhead Construction, Maintenance & Refit 15 10-05-2020 15:59
Outboard Service in the Tampa Bay Area denverd0n Engines and Propulsion Systems 2 02-05-2020 08:36
Yamaha Malta 6L5 S 020723 Dinghy outboard service manual? Franziska Engines and Propulsion Systems 0 15-11-2015 07:27
Honda 2 hp outboard PDF service manual model BF2D hapibeli Engines and Propulsion Systems 1 07-07-2015 11:17

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:04.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.