Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2019, 14:04   #31

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Origo Stoves have been discontinued??

I'm with Pegu on this one. Sounds like corporate Blabla.

The alcohol stoves and ovens are saver than gas if used correctly.

Shame that with this the only proper alcohol oven disappears.

What a shame that Dometic bought Origo, just to let the brand die.

There is also the reason that they do not sell enough off them (cooking takes slightly longer than with gas and most people see that as inconvenient these days) and that they want to sell more of their gas ovens...
Old 12-07-2019, 17:21   #32

Ive used propane for decades on 5 different live aboard cruisers. Can get it cheaply almost anywhere in the world. It is also the hottest (fastest) fuel. But have used Origo on some boats and thought is a good second choice for me. I can be very expensive and hard to find if you are doing extensive cruising.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 18:22   #33

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

I am somewhat limited in my cruising experience, but I would think that denatured alcohol would be an easy get most anywhere. It seems it would be a regular hardware/paint store item. Is denatured alcohol hard to find in Europe? Or the Caribbean? I would suspect it might be a harder get on the Pacific Islands, but then propane might be as well, ??

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 18:46   #34

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Origo Stoves have been discontinued??

Two galley fires since I was a kid. One, my mom’, from a pressurized alcohol stove. Second from me adding wine to seared scallops.
Pressurized alcohol scares me. Origo stoves don’t.
I’ve got pressurized alcohol (Primus) and pressurized gasoline (Svea) stoves from camping. They are not going aboard. Period.
Propane and CNG make me cautious.
Alcohol fuel is ok but not a hot fast fire. But I’ve also had good meals from a sterno powered Sea Swing stove. ( skippers wife’s mother’s jarred beef stew )
I’ll be sad if Origo is gone.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 13:00   #35

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
I am somewhat limited in my cruising experience, but I would think that denatured alcohol would be an easy get most anywhere. It seems it would be a regular hardware/paint store item. Is denatured alcohol hard to find in Europe? Or the Caribbean? I would suspect it might be a harder get on the Pacific Islands, but then propane might be as well, ??

You get it anywhere but in England and some other places the denaturants they add to it result in noxious odors when it is burned.

No one seems to have problems getting fuel to run their propane stove. In some equatorial nations it might actually be butane but that doesn't matter much. There are regulatory differences and connector problems that complicate filling a North American-spec cylinder elsewhere, but they aren't serious.

I have an Origo. The reason I have it is that I don't want to spend the money on a propane locker, regulator, solenoid, and detector, which would set me back $1000 since my boat has none of it.
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 19:49   #36

Boat: Tartan 28

This is a bummer. I hope parts don’t become scarce. I just bought a new 6000 3 months ago to replace my non working pressure alcohol stove. The Origo has worked flawlessly and super easy to use.
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 16:24   #37

Boat: Seeking a Leopard 46 Owners Version

I am trying to get my hands on an Origo 6000 (2 burner with oven). It's for a new boat so if anyone out there has a GOOD condition second hand one they would consider selling please get in touch. I'm in New Zealand but will look at shipping from overseas.

Or if you see a new one on the shelf in a store I would love to know where. I have rung many, many stores in NZ, Aus, UK, USA and Can that are showing them on their websites but no one actually has stock.

I phoned Dometic who confirmed that they have discontinued making these but would not give a reason. (I can only assume it is to reduce the competition for the sales of their own gas stoves).

Thanks!
Olivia
liv-love-sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 17:21   #38

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv-love-sail View Post
I am trying to get my hands on an Origo 6000 (2 burner with oven). It's for a new boat so if anyone out there has a GOOD condition second hand one they would consider selling please get in touch. I'm in New Zealand but will look at shipping from overseas.
https://www.marineoutfitters.ca/inde...=7392991001252

As you said, website shows it in stock. An email only takes a minute...couldn't hurt.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 17:23   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemurray View Post
This is a bummer. I hope parts don’t become scarce. I just bought a new 6000 3 months ago to replace my non working pressure alcohol stove. The Origo has worked flawlessly and super easy to use.
What parts would you ever need? I've had several, both single and 2 burner models, and never needed anything except fuel...and a long lighter.
Old 23-07-2019, 20:14   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
What parts would you ever need? I've had several, both single and 2 burner models, and never needed anything except fuel...and a long lighter.
Hopefully none. We’ll see. I did notice that the “land mines” white cloth type surface burns if you run out of fuel. It hasn’t affected performance yet, but I did get some slight burning on one of them.

As far as why they’ve discontinued, I dont think they bought them to kill off. My stove is actually branded Dometic with a little “origo” in a small corner. The box was also updated with nice Dometic graphics. They wouldn’t have gone to that expense to just kill the stove.
Old 12-09-2019, 16:01   #41

Boat: Bristol 32

Very sad. We love our little Origo! I still have the old pressurized alcohol Kenyon stove that it replaced. It sits in my shed, a monument to poor engineering. Let me know if you want it. Just don't hold me responsible when it sets your boat on fire.
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 07:03   #42

In case someone is looking for a single burner stove....

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details..._source=alerts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	203782   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59 (1).jpg
Views:	231
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	203783  

Old 26-11-2019, 07:07   #43

When you sell a great product that lasts forever:

- no repeat customers
- bad for sales...every stove you ever made is still out there, functioning.

Better to make something flimsy, cheap and disposable. Better for business. See any dollar store for thousands of examples.
Old 26-11-2019, 07:40   #44

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
I am somewhat limited in my cruising experience, but I would think that denatured alcohol would be an easy get most anywhere. It seems it would be a regular hardware/paint store item.
It most places alcohol is expensive and inconvenient to reach without ground transportation.

Propane on the other hand is the world's most common cooking fuel. You can get it anywhere.

Add a 50% increase in morning-time-to-coffee for alcohol (which some people find important) and alcohol just doesn't look very good. I haven't seen a gimballed alcohol cooker in a long time.

That said, I had a wonderful summer with a girl friend on a Catalina 22 with alcohol cooker. Fortunately I am an early riser and could have coffee ready for her when she hauled herself out of bed. She would have drowned me without coffee.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 19:39   #45

The Origo is gimbaled. We have one. And he morning coffee is done in minutes, at less than half heat to not over heat the mocha pot.

I know Alcohol has a lower BTU than propane, but we haven’t really noticed any significant difference in boiling water times or cooking. I suspect some experience the older pressure alcohol stoves that would also be reliant on the amount of pressure, etc. The Origo doesnt use pressure and works very well.

If you factor in having to make room for a propane locker, buy or build a propane locker, and the sniffer, safety shut off, etc.. the cost of that could by a LOT of alcohol. When I looked, it was approaching a $1000 to run propane, not including the stove. Not to mention I really didn’t have any room for a propane locker.

Tags
origo, stove