Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2023, 16:00   #46

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Opinion on just painting rough surfaces?

5.6 lbs a gallon for polyester fairing compound. We've used about 12 gallons so far, but a lot of that is for backfilling decored fiberglass edges of the furniture. And of the amount used for fairing, most of ours is waste as it gets sanded off since we're not great at applying it smoothly. All in all, I'm estimating under 50lbs to fair everything - hull sides are under 20 pounds of this.
Old 24-02-2023, 16:04   #47

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Johnson View Post
5.6 lbs a gallon for polyester fairing compound. We've used about 12 gallons so far, but a lot of that is for backfilling decored fiberglass edges of the furniture. And of the amount used for fairing, most of ours is waste as it gets sanded off since we're not great at applying it smoothly. All in all, I'm estimating under 50lbs to fair everything - hull sides are under 20 pounds of this.
I believe that’s because your boat came out of a mold. Right? Didn’t you get a kit? Mine’s a one off. Gobs more faring compound needed.

I put all my focus into the exterior. Faired the corecell core before infusion. That allowed me to do the tiniest skim coat outside. It’s still a lot though. I don’t know how you are doing 50 pounds to fair the whole thing. But I think that’s because yours came out of a mold.

Plus I’m going to level with you. I’m not sanding the inside of this boat. Screw that. Ha ha ha
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2023, 16:44   #48

The exterior is molded, but like you, the interior is just peelply'd from the infusion. Same same. It's pretty amazing how far fairing compound goes.

And as I've spent the last two months doing nothing but sanding, I understand not wanting to fair
Old 24-02-2023, 18:03   #49

Good news to hear you’re enjoying the boat!

Re the painting - it sounds like your concern is mostly about resale rather than a personal desire for a faired interior.

If that’s right (it may not be), then I would focus on keeping things simple to get (further) out on the water sooner.

For a couple of reasons:

1. As you said, if you get (eg) cabinetry right, the industrial aesthetic may work, and might even be a selling point given the weight advantages (large or small as they may be).

2. Your boat is a one-off. If it was a series production and all the others were faired, that might be a different story. But if/when you do decide to sell, your buyer will be a particular kind of person, and I suspect one who may well appreciate the ability to see ‘under the skin’ as it were.
torpnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2023, 18:30   #50

Boat: Seeking motor sailer this fall west coast N America

Deck or underside smoother the finish the easier cleaning now or later maybe same man hours….
Old 25-02-2023, 03:43   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpnr View Post
Good news to hear you’re enjoying the boat!

Re the painting - it sounds like your concern is mostly about resale rather than a personal desire for a faired interior.

If that’s right (it may not be), then I would focus on keeping things simple to get (further) out on the water sooner.

For a couple of reasons:

1. As you said, if you get (eg) cabinetry right, the industrial aesthetic may work, and might even be a selling point given the weight advantages (large or small as they may be).

2. Your boat is a one-off. If it was a series production and all the others were faired, that might be a different story. But if/when you do decide to sell, your buyer will be a particular kind of person, and I suspect one who may well appreciate the ability to see ‘under the skin’ as it were.

You are correct. Personally, I don’t mind the rough surface at all. As long as everything else is perfect, to me that looks like part of the design.

My only concern is resale value. Because someday everyone does have to sell their boat. It might not be for a long time, but the day will come.
Old 25-02-2023, 04:39   #52

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
You are correct. Personally, I don’t mind the rough surface at all. As long as everything else is perfect, to me that looks like part of the design.

My only concern is resale value. Because someday everyone does have to sell their boat. It might not be for a long time, but the day will come.

As long as you paint it with stuff that could either be sanded off within reasonable effort, or sanded and faired over, I wouldn't be too worried as you or someone else can change it later.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2023, 04:45   #53

Boat: Lagoon 380

I think mold control will be the boogie here. Those clorox wipes out of a can are quick and effective. If your substrate immediately rips those to threads, i’d say its too rough for me. Rough surfaces increase surface area, make it difficult to wipe and make mold control difficult. U dont want yet another respiratory situation created.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2023, 07:10   #54

Boogie >> bogey
Old 25-02-2023, 08:18   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
I think mold control will be the boogie here. Those clorox wipes out of a can are quick and effective. If your substrate immediately rips those to threads, i’d say its too rough for me. Rough surfaces increase surface area, make it difficult to wipe and make mold control difficult. U dont want yet another respiratory situation created.
But I have a question about that.

I’m in the boat right now. I have been living in here for a few months now.

There is no mold in the boat. The surfaces I’m thinking of painting are fine. They don’t have mold. Why would they develop mold after I paint them if they are mold free now?

Wouldn’t they be less likely to mold after paint, since it will slightly smooth the surface?

PS: I already have serious respiratory problems with mold. That’s why I can’t just buy a cheap production boat and go sailing. All those liners and façades. Mold grows like crazy behind those and in all the inaccessible areas creating “boat smell” (mold and diesel mix).

This boat was designed to be free of all bad air problems so I can live on it. Everything accessible, no hidden areas, no façades. No machinery in the living space. Lots and lots of ventilation.
Old 25-02-2023, 08:27   #56

Summer might be more challenging, in the way of moisture control, thereby mold control. Do u plan on lots of a/c? Or head for great lakes or forced ventilation or ?
Just exhaling generates water vapor.
Old 25-02-2023, 08:27   #57

Sorry Chotu - add another 6 gallons that I forgot about - different brand/order not on spreadsheet. So another 15lbs (half is sanded off).
Old 25-02-2023, 08:32   #58

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Johnson View Post
Look at Dazcat and TS (now ORC) boats. They have the furniture molded, but all the hull sides - called a ceiling - and overheads are just roller painted fiberglass with all tape lines showing through. I didn't mind it, but my wife hated that raw finish.

Voyage catamarans had a very textured surface to cover all the glass work. It's almost like the popcorn ceiling in homes.

Popcorn
That would kill it for me, personal opinion
Old 25-02-2023, 08:36   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
Summer might be more challenging, in the way of moisture control, thereby mold control. Do u plan on lots of a/c? Or head for great lakes or forced ventilation or ?
Just exhaling generates water vapor.

Summer? It’s been in Florida since it was built and has had full time liveaboard going on for 2 years.

I don’t think it can get any hotter than that.

I also think cold weather is more of a challenge than summer for mold. You close the boat up and the hull is cold so you have condensation.

Now that creates mold.

I have 32,000 BTU of AC at anchor and underway by generator if needed.

I’m definitely, DEFINITELY out of here ASAP. Great Lakes? No. Maine? Canada? Yes.
Old 25-02-2023, 08:37   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Popcorn
That would kill it for me, personal opinion
Me too. It makes sense logically, but would be too rough and brittle and just kind of ick to look at.

Tags
paint