Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2007, 06:31   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Best paint for inside hull surfaces?

I have a number of cubby holes, etc. that need to be cleaned (i.e., de-mildewed) and then painted. What brand of paint I use is less important than what type, I think. Would enamel be best?
Old 11-07-2007, 06:43   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Would enamel be best?
Epoxy would be better. Consider if you got mildew again. Odds are you could get it. Even an oil based enamel finsh can be damaged from mildew.

A one part epoxy paint I would think would be good enough for non UV applications. In the end, the cost is a bit more but you'll spend a lot of time and money doing all the prep work cleaning and priming no matter what paint you use. It would be nice if you got a bit of mildew down the road you could just clean it up and not have to do this again.

Interior home bathroom paints add a anti microbe growth agent to reduce the mildew problem, but it does not last forever nor works perfectly. On a boat it would be a joke.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:42   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
After a thorough cleansing (thorough mold kill and removal*) of the surfaces to be painted, use a Mold & Mildew-Proof Paint, or one to which your local paint retailer has mixed in a Mildicide.

* After the killing of all visible surface mold, the next step is to remove and to clean off as much surface mold growth, mold stains, and mold odors as possible. Dead mold may still cause allergic reactions in some people, so it is not enough to simply kill the mold - it must also be removed.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 22:56   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Ventilation?

If you are getting mildew then your first line of defense is to make sure that there is good ventilation and all water drains freely to the bottom of the boat.

Then make sure there is no sugar (wood?) for the fungus to grow on.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 05:59   #5
learningcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman
I have a number of cubby holes, etc. that need to be cleaned (i.e., de-mildewed) and then painted. What brand of paint I use is less important than what type, I think. Would enamel be best?
Interlux Bilgekote might work. It is tough (intended for painting bilges), oil and water resistant. I havent used it myself (yet) but this is what the guys in the local yard like to use. It is an enamel.

But it only comes in two colors. Grey and White.
Old 13-07-2007, 12:43   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
NEVER EVER use water based Acrylics!!!
Enamels are good all round paints. Polyurathanes are better at scratch resistance. Two pot poly's are hard wearing and scratch resistant. Notice a trend here. The better the paint, the more expensive it is.
International has a single pot polyurathane that has teflon in it. This is an excellent paint for cabinets and shelves as it is hard wearing and easy to clean. It's a nice paint to apply.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 13:47   #7
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
Here is what I use:
McMaster-Carr

Epoxy Paint Grey 7829T3 $64.69 gallon

This stuff is as tough as nails.
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 17:18   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay
If you are getting mildew then your first line of defense is to make sure that there is good ventilation and all water drains freely to the bottom of the boat.

Then make sure there is no sugar (wood?) for the fungus to grow on.
Amen to this. In the past I have set up my solar panels through a Flex-charge regulator with a funtion on it that diverts excess voltage to computor fans distributed around the boat (dorades, mushromm vents, engine room, ect.). Every 1/2 hour or so, the fans would run for a few minutes. Since I had done this the mold situation came to a screaming halt. You could smell the difference upon entering the boat. Or maybe I was doing my laundry more often.
P.S....I think it is defeating saying "never ever" to anything. There are no absolutes in life. We all find our own way.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull paint