Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 08:00   #46

Boat: '83 Endeavour 40
Re: Nice Galley Details

I think this is a pretty slick solution for cutlery.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2014, 08:17   #47

access to icebox from both inside galley and from cockpit
otterbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:44   #48

Boat: C&C Newport 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Does anyone have a fore/aft facing stove? Hows it been?

Matt
i have never been underway on a boat without a gimbled stove... is it not necessary?

more to the point, if the stove is facing fore or aft, it cant be gimbled...

anyone with experience cooking on a fix mounted stove?

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:48   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

A gimballed counter -- cooking is hell on a long upwind passage with the boat heeling. One gimballed counter would make a huge difference.
elaborate...
Old 04-09-2014, 08:57   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

My ice box drains into the shower sump, and I think that's better than a separate container.
As far as a vent hood, I've been playing with the idea of a couple of 120 mm 12V computer fans that will fit inside of the port light above my stove, thought about powering them at least for a proof of concept off of a light that is there, pop the bulb out and have the fan power soldered into a bulb base. At least to see if it works and if it works installing a plug, but have the fans easily removable.
It's that or put a fan in the hatch above the stove. A hood at least on my boat wouldn't work and would take up too much room
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:04   #51

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanzone View Post
i have never been underway on a boat without a gimbled stove... is it not necessary?

more to the point, if the stove is facing fore or aft, it cant be gimbled...

anyone with experience cooking on a fix mounted stove?

-steve
If you read any of Dashew's book, he feels the stove mounted fore and aft without gimbal is safest at sea. One issue is that this typically puts the sink on the hull side and you would need a macerator pump to drain on a tack. He also likes the fridge to be centerline since it allows the most area/depth and no UV from hull sides.

A lot of his boats have this set-up, but the only person I personally know with one of his boats has it set-up like most boats. Wondering who has this set-up and how it works out? Also, I'm not sure how well it translates to smaller (under 50') boats.

Matt
Old 04-09-2014, 09:13   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liunatic View Post
I think this is a pretty slick solution for cutlery.
This is kinda what I am thinking except I was planning on incorporating a magnetic strip holder beneath the counter top. Prolly a drawer is the most secure spot underway but for me I like to have easy access to the knives.

It means cutting a slot in the counter top which isn't a problem, but I think it's another spot to consider having a coaming to prevent spills from leaking into the cabinet below.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:14   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
My ice box drains into the shower sump, and I think that's better than a separate container.
As far as a vent hood, I've been playing with the idea of a couple of 120 mm 12V computer fans that will fit inside of the port light above my stove, thought about powering them at least for a proof of concept off of a light that is there, pop the bulb out and have the fan power soldered into a bulb base. At least to see if it works and if it works installing a plug, but have the fans easily removable.
It's that or put a fan in the hatch above the stove. A hood at least on my boat wouldn't work and would take up too much room
wiring would b the easy part of this...

the question then becomes, do you want to run the fan without turning on the light and / or do you want / need a switch on the fan. all pretty easy to do once you make the initial decisions.

might be a cheat which is a quick disconnect off the galley light so you could 'plug in' the fan on demand.

follow up question: how would you mount the fan so that it does not prevent you from closing the port? i like the idea (a lot) but cant imagine how the fan is in the port when i an using the stove, out of the way when the port is closed, not at risk of me head butting when out of the port, aiding in cabin circulation when not serving as an exhaust fan and 85735 things i have not even thought of yet

-steve
Old 04-09-2014, 09:25   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
If you read any of Dashew's book, he feels the stove mounted fore and aft without gimbal is safest at sea. One issue is that this typically puts the sink on the hull side and you would need a macerator pump to drain on a tack. He also likes the fridge to be centerline since it allows the most area/depth and no UV from hull sides.

A lot of his boats have this set-up, but the only person I personally know with one of his boats has it set-up like most boats. Wondering who has this set-up and how it works out? Also, I'm not sure how well it translates to smaller (under 50') boats.

Matt

hmmmmm. intriguing.

anyone with working experience that can share their thoughts?

i have already pulled the stove, sink and counter tops with the intention of moving and increasing the size of the sink. i could, easily, move the sink port and stove forward.

my fridge is tucked into the corner which is a good use of otherwise inaccessible space so i am disinclined to move it.

i am right in the middle of the design phase for the galley and am not constrained by existing plumbing of electrical. while i had made the major decisions (positioning/ equipment / lighting), i havent started designing the cabinets / pantry etc.

-steve
Old 04-09-2014, 09:33   #55

Boat: Bristol 35

I love all these thoughts and ideas. I am going to look at a basic bare hull Sat. and will be rolling many of these ideas around as I poke and prod the boat. It's a small 27' so it will be important to the cook to make the layout as user friendly as possible. I love the knife idea btw.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:34   #56

anyone have supplemental (dry) icebox?

i have a forward dry food pantry (canned goods, bulk grains etc) and have the space to build another if i wanted to in the lazarette. i dont think i can justify the expense of a 2nd fridge but i could easily insulate build an insulated box (and use dry ice or block ice or something.

if it could be easily accessible i would just do it as it would be great as a color for day sails or to toss fish in to be cleaned and cooked later but that would require a huge amount of work i am not willing to do.

thoughts?

-steve
Old 04-09-2014, 10:31   #57

Couple companionway step drawers I thought were kinda interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12-05-16-15-Companionway-3.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	87667   Click image for larger version

Name:	594880_0_220620101710_16.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	87668  

Old 04-09-2014, 10:32   #58

Also, I really like this profile on the fiddles. Nice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4114159_2_20121023123032_12_0.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	87669  
Old 04-09-2014, 10:54   #59
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

* Cabinets that lock EVERY time you close them. If it takes an extra step, you will forget.
* Narrow enough to use in a seaway. Only passing by skinny people.
* +1 on the spice cabinet. Up-grading mine was an early project.
* Secure drying rack that will hold dishing in a seaway. Clean dishes used each day tend to get stored there, so it needs to be solid. Mine occupies one sink but can be lifted out, beside the sink, when need be.
* Hood. I would love to add one, but the stove position is not conducive. As others have said, spicy foods, heat and humidity. Really, more important than at home.
*-1 microwave. I have one but use it little. Mostly we store stuff in it. But I don't hate it enough to take it out.
* Filtered water (NSF 53). $25 can build a first-rate system, capable of providing bottled water quality. Of course, filtration at loading and light chlorination are also part of the program. What is the point of washing dishes and preparing food with crappy water?
Old 04-09-2014, 11:03   #60

Kitchen sink flip out tray. Pretty common in residential kitchens these days with hardware available from a variety of manufacturers. Good use of the dead space in front of the sink.

Usually on shore people put dish sponges and scrubbie pads in them. I thought it was interesting to see them on boats either for spices or knives.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	915
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	87672  
Attached Images

Tags
galley