Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 14:47   #1

Nice Galley Details

I tore out my galley this weekend, started a mock-up, and I'm interested to know what are some details people really love about their galleys.

Spice racks, garbage bag holders, a spot for the toaster, whatever.

My project also includes a new cooler and counter tops, so I am particularly interested to see ice box lids, if any have built their own. If I had the loot I would spring for a nice prefab unit like can be had from Glacier Bay. Instead I will build my own, such is life.

Here's a couple things I found on the web I thought were interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130405_82.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	87562   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3019 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	87563  

Name:	galley2.jpg
Views:	844
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	87564   Click image for larger version

Name:	pantry.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	87565  

Name:	img_7547.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	87566   Click image for larger version

Name:	L175-50-Catalina-Morgan-504-Galley-Refrigeration-7.jpg
Views:	1142
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	87567  

Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:08   #2

Boat: '83 Endeavour 40
Re: Nice Galley Details

Don't love the galley yet, as it needs updating. Some things I would love in the future galley:

- place for trash that is out of the way.
- secure wineglass storage.
- those hinged refrigerator lids look sweet , so they will be added to the list.

Would love to see pics of your project as it goes along......maybe you could start a thread
Old 03-09-2014, 08:00   #3

I am planning on using this Hafele push button door pull, which can be seen in the picture of the pull-out spice cabinet.

I've been on a couple boats that have them and liked them. Pretty simple mechanism. Beats sticking your fingering in a hole and trying to find a latch while being tossed about.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	64477-04-1000.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	87603  
Old 03-09-2014, 08:25   #4

Boat: 44 footer

Look into Lamp brand push button latches... Product Detail | Cabinet Hardware, Adhesives, Abrasives, Fasteners, Laminate, Knobs, Tools | Würth Baer Supply Company

44lb locking latch.

If you can find a cabinet shop that the Wurth truck stops in front of, they aren't super yacht expensive either... Grin.

They have a double acting latch, and last nicely.

"Grass America" brand European hinges are nice too, as they've got a lot of adjust-ability to square up openings, if you'll have any cabinet style doors. They are one of the few that sell cast stainless. Very little plastic.

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:39   #5

Been thinking about an over head dish drying cabinet with a permanent home for all of our daily use items. Not sure why you don't see these more often and a boat-specific image search comes up empty. I would be very interested to see any photos if anyone has on their boat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dish drying overhead cabinet.JPG
Views:	501
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	87605  
Old 03-09-2014, 08:44   #6

I always thought tip out garbage seemed like a good idea for a boat, but I don't know if I ever saw one. I have seen holes cut in counter tops with a lid that goes over them been have never lived with one. Do people who have them like them?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tipout.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	87606  
Old 03-09-2014, 08:49   #7

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Been thinking about an over head dish drying cabinet with a permanent home for all of our daily use items. Not sure why you don't see these more often and a boat-specific image search comes up empty. I would be very interested to see any photos if anyone has on their boat.
My Boat has that.
Works great, but the coated wire racks are starting to rust.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:51   #8

Boat: Stevens 47

Ensure the galley sinks are not too deep....when too deep for the dishwashing person...being hunched over to reach the bottom can be a pain in the....over time. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but it can make washing the dishes a real pain.

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I always thought tip out garbage seemed like a good idea for a boat, but I don't know if I ever saw one. I have seen holes cut in counter tops with a lid that goes over them been have never lived with one. Do people who have them like them?
I dislike anything that requires two hands to dump trash. At home, my family's practice has been to put trash under the kitchen skin, so one has to open the door first. At my in-laws, they even have TOPS on the trash cans beneath. Drives me nuts!!! And I'm nuts to start off with.

Best arrangement I ever saw was at my friend's house: his wife bought a plastic bin that had a swinging top. One hand, but the stuff was out of sight.

Just something to consider, depending on your tastes. On our boat we have a medium sized plastic bin with no top, firmly held in with shock cord. One of these days I'll find one with a swinging lid, but this has worked for 16 years and still hasn't gone flying.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:46   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy!

I like to cook, and cooking good meals while at sea is either a hassle or an adventure but usually the most important thing one can do for good morale for a crew on a longer voyage.

I also like to see good "smart" design in boats.

So, thanks for posting the photos you did above. While I liked some of what I saw, I see a difference in others images.

For example, looking at one of those photos (image 5) what struck me was how much cabinet space was wasted by those HUGE stacks of dishes. Count the dishes in one stack! While the dish holders may look cool and "clean" it looks like there is enough dishes for a crew of 20 people! In short, it looks like overkill on the amount of dishes and the use of the "design" for dishes. Look at image 5 above. Perhaps they are planning on having big dinner parties or have dinners with multiple courses.

Since I have done my time as a cook and galley slave (cooking and washing dishes too) I know that having MORE dishes than necessary is a waste of space and time and effort.

Seems to me that most boat galleys are designed for use while anchored (naturally, as that is easier use of the stuff and most cruising time is spent on anchor). That said, my remarks below are aimed at a boat that is intended for making longer passages and with a galley designed for making meals while underway.

What I enjoy seeing is a smart galley designed for use while underway, if one assumes the cruiser is used to move from place to place and some occasional long passages.

To that end the things I appreciate seeing on a boat galley include multiple handholds around the galley, good footing (as there may be spills or wet decks), good dependable water pump that can be used without any hands (foot pump), and stowage that will not allow anything sharp or heavy to go flying across the boat when a boat possibly drops off a larger than normal wave.

Sinks were mentioned above. I don't share the opinion of the other person. In my view, deep sinks are preferred (because the boat is heeled and the shallow sinks will not hold much water prior to spilling). So, when I look at a boat galley sink, I imagine the boat heeled for many hours at 20+ degrees and consider how much water will be in the sink PRIOR to it spilling. Deeper is better in my opinion. This is not to say that the sink will be FULL of water at anytime, rather it should have the minimum amount needed to do the task (and that may be something simple like preparing (washing) potatoes or other food items that are held IN the sink while preparing the meal).

Very importantly, I think there should be some safety consideration for the cook who may be working with hot liquids and flames while standing on a sloping floor/deck and on a voyaging boat that may be pitching and rolling while underway.

So, things such as movable safety bars in front of the stove and some stove top pot holders (that hold a pot or kettle ON the stove top). I would incorporate some way for the cook to comfortably and easily brace and secure themselves while cooking as that will lead to less fatigue, and a happy cook makes for better meals!

Most importantly, there should be safety consideration for the boat (as everyone depends on it). So that means nothing that can be inflamed or ignited just above the stove. For example, I have seen some boats with ports a few inches above the stove that had curtains on them (an accident waiting to happen).

And proper placement of a fire blanket and fire extinguishers (close but NOT right next to the stove).

I also like to see good sized fiddles on the counters. Fiddles that will stop the sliding pots or stuff from going over the edge of the counter.

Similarly, when looking at cabinets in boat galleys, I consider what will happen when the galley is on the windward side of a heeling boat WHEN the galley cabinet/lockers are opened to get something out of them. Will the contents of that cabinet/locker come flying out when the door is opened?
_______

One thing I don't like to see in a Galley:
I think it looks ridiculous on a boat to see a dozen exposed long stem wine glasses hanging above a sink from some boat "interior" designs that mimic apartment decor (I had a luxury apartment in NYC that had a similar "wine bar look" in the kitchen. Where will all those long stemmed glasses go when the boat is riding rough seas?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:00   #11

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

We have the tip out trash can solution...it is great. Our sink is centerline, and the trash is at the end of this mounted so you can remove it and get great access to the bilge area. Its an easy option to implement and I would have this again.

Matt
Old 03-09-2014, 10:01   #12

Boat: Hunter 450

Example of an overhead dish drying cabinet at the 3:30 mark of this youtube video.

engine1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:04   #13

*The fold up extra counter space is great, I've put it on about 3 boats.
*The garbage receptacle can be a tip out as you show, or can be on a little shelf built onto the inside of a door that swings out. ..... if that makes sense. Another thing I've done in probably 4 or 5 boats.
Both these are invaluable.
*Remember, anything overhead like that dish drying rack etc need to be super secure.... not easy to do on the overhead.
*Remember to leave a space in your fiddles (if you have them) to wipe crumbs etc off the counter. I've been on boats without that and it's a PITA. I'm on the fence regarding fiddles in general. On my boats , if under way the stuff is stored or in the sink. Unless it's a real tall fiddle it's just good at tripping the dish/glass over, rather than letting it slide off. either way it's a problem... so put stuff away!
*A refrigerator away from the galley is nice, no moving everything to get something out while you are preparing a meal!
*My favorite Refridge boxes had a top door and a lower swing open door. Quick and easy to open the lower and get something out rather than removing half the stuff to get at it!
* Forget those tiny double sinks. They are terrible to work in. Get a big single deep one that will hold a big fry pan! You can rinse with a dribble from the faucet with less water than filling a sink.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:06   #14

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Dashew's Cruising Encyclopedia does a pretty good job of describing desirable traits in a boat. Funny, most of his designs don't follow this.

Matt
Old 03-09-2014, 10:09   #15

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Deep double sink with extra high faucet.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley