Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2023, 19:33   #1

Boat: F&C 44' KETCH
Lithium Batteries in the Forward Bilge?

Folks... I have lean sailboat with little to no stowage at all... She is getting 800amp upgrade from previous 4 Acid Batteries.

Without posting oodles of will pics and how abnormal the boat is-- any ABCY or other issues putting batteries in the HIGH end of the forward bilge below the floor boards?

One alternative --- was taking over my hanging wet Locker in aft cabin and stacking the batteries in there... 8qty LITH Batteries weigh in at 260lbs... Is this too much weight in one area in the after cabin? The hanging locker sits 2 feet in front of the engine... I have min of 1" solid glass hull, in some places thicker....

Appreciate your thoughts and considerations greatly...

Skipper T
PUDDLE JUMPER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2023, 19:58   #2

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48
Re: Lithium Batteries in the Forward Bilge?

Do not put lithium batteries or any other battery any where that at any time they might meet salt water ,lithium hate salt water ,no battery likes salt water ,avoid at all costs ⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 00:50   #3

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searles View Post
Do not put lithium batteries or any other battery any where that at any time they might meet salt water ,lithium hate salt water ,no battery likes salt water ,avoid at all costs ⛵️⚓️

LFP cells/batteries don’t care if they’re underwater, but your terminals, bus bars, fuses etc certainly will care. A wet bilge is not the place for exposed electronics, but at least LFP chemistry won’t gas off or do anything else underwater.

Lithium Ion batteries, yes, they don’t like water at all. But that’s a different chemistry from the LFP cells/batteries that are commonly installed on boats.

There will also be more violent movement up front, which may cause physical damage inside the cells (especially if larger than 200Ah in size). To the OP, your loads and chargers are all much further aft and shorter cable runs for the big carriers is better. On our boat we removed a centrally located water tank to fit our LFP battery and electrical distribution.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 23:42   #4

Boat: Cheoy Lee, Alden Pilothouse 32

Make sure to consider the distance. If you're pulling a lot of amps to a motor in the stern from a set of batteries in the bow, you're going to need to get some extra fat cables or lose a lot of juice on the way.

If you're running in serial, 8x12v = 96v, then you're probably ok with "pretty fat" wires, but if you're going to be just running them in parallel and trying to bring 12v down 30 feet, even with fat wire, you're going to bleed power.

Take a look at this:
https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html

I ended up putting my battery (72v 100amp) right next to the motor to avoid the loss.
coldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2023, 06:33   #5

I have a separate Starter Batter near engine....

Thank you for the calculator link--- super helpful... I built three different Battle born battery options I am considering and trying to figure out where -- on this super narrow boat, to place this 'space consuming' HOGS! HA!

More to come as I have the time to work in this project....

Skipper T
Old 29-01-2023, 06:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfish View Post
Make sure to consider the distance. If you're pulling a lot of amps to a motor in the stern from a set of batteries in the bow, you're going to need to get some extra fat cables or lose a lot of juice on the way.

If you're running in serial, 8x12v = 96v, then you're probably ok with "pretty fat" wires, but if you're going to be just running them in parallel and trying to bring 12v down 30 feet, even with fat wire, you're going to bleed power.

Take a look at this:

https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html

I ended up putting my battery (72v 100amp) right next to the motor to avoid the loss.
Post above was directed to you sir...

Skipper T

Tags
batteries, bilge, lithium