Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2020, 16:17   #1

Limber hole from bow compartment or no?

Ahoy.

My 1980 Hunter 36 has a vast compartment under the V berth from the bow aft to a bulkhead about 1.5 ft forward of the aft end of the berth itself. As is, almost certainly from the yard, there is no drainage, no limber hole to connect this forward compartment to the bilge. If water from condensation or another source collects it just sits there.

This is not causing a major problem now. However, I'm about to build out this hold for better storage and likely a small integral tank at the aft end. In a distant future I may even want to use the space forward of the new tank as rode storage, which will involve some water.

From reading the various forums it seems many production boats (seemingly catalinas for example) often have one or more forward compartments which do not drain. Many choose to simply cut a limber hole. I could do thus, and if applicable even plum some PVC pipe under the new integral tankage.

Or, I could just leave it. If water ever becomes a problem, such as when using it for direct from deck rode storage, I could install a bilge pump for the compartment perhaps. But I need to choose and plan now before I build into this space, and certainly before building an integral tank on the hull.

My questions are these: Is there some beneficial reason that this forward V compartment is isolated from the bilge, that it is essentially a separate watertight compartment? Conversely, is this specifically bad in some way? Is it very dumb to make a second bilge requiring its own pump in the bow? Am I going to terribly regret not plumbing under this new tankage?

Would love to hear all your thoughts and opinions. Particularly if there is some basic principle of boat building and flotation that I am missing entirely.

Thanks, Greg
Hunter36Naiad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men