Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2020, 00:02   #1

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Installation of rudder angle sensor

I'm nearing completion of the chain and cable steering so I've been wondering how I would mount the rudder angle sensor as it would be quite difficult. I've read several manufacturer's installation instructions but they were no help.

.) Most installations are unique, it may be necessary to construct a platform on which to mount the sender to be in the proper position relative to the steering mechanism. It will be necessary to fabricate a linkage(i.e.; a small diameter stainless steel rod) to connect the sender arm to the rudder’s tiller arm or quadrant.The linkage must be free to pivot at either end. Also,position the sender so that when the steering is turned from “stop to stop the sender arms 6.5 inch travel limit is not exceeded (see Figure 2). Exceeding this travel limit will result in damage to the sending unit.

Why can't I mount the sensor on a bulkhead (where the cable runs past) and attach the sensor arm to the cable? That would be so simple.

Does anyone see a problem?.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-02-23 Rudder Angle Sensor.png
Views:	153
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	209268  
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 00:19   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Installation of rudder angle sensor

If you are sure that a 10° angle of rudder position change is represented on your steering cable to rudder sensor displacement by also a 10° displacement I see no problem.
Just do it if this is the easy solution. You can always go for the complicated solution if it doesn’t work as planned.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 00:45   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

Is this rudder sensor for your autopilot? If so you will disable the AP if the cable breaks.

Most installation build up a small platform.
Old 23-02-2020, 01:33   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Is this rudder sensor for your autopilot? If so you will disable the AP if the cable breaks.

Most installation build up a small platform.
I don't have an autopilot installed but I do intend installing one "down the track".

I did a couple of googles and found some autopilots don't have sensors (Garmin) but Raymarine does. The sensor I am installing will be wired to a gauge in the instrument binnacle but I'd be very surprised if the output signal was compatible with a production autopilot. (I think I'd have to install a second one)
Old 23-02-2020, 01:41   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I don't have an autopilot installed but I do intend installing one "down the track".

I did a couple of googles and found some autopilots don't have sensors (Garmin) but Raymarine does. The sensor I am installing will be wired to a gauge in the instrument binnacle but I'd be very surprised if the output signal was compatible with a production autopilot. (I think I'd have to install a second one)
Then do the quick and dirty install now and build a platform when you install the autopilot.
Most APs without rudder sensors are marketed to boats with outboards.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 03:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Then do the quick and dirty install now and build a platform when you install the autopilot.
Most APs without rudder sensors are marketed to boats with outboards.

Thanks for that. But I'm saddened you think my idea is "quick and dirty" (I thought it was brilliant!)

In the next few days I'll fiberglass some anchor points onto the hull adjacent to the quadrant and worry about sensors when I install the Auto Pilot. (Better get the yacht into the water first)
Old 23-02-2020, 04:32   #7

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

I just installed a platform near a small "tiller" that I had made and attached to the rudder post, and mounted the sensor on the platform.

Connected the two with a threaded rod.
ggray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 05:27   #8

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

We used that exact sensor when setting up the angle indicator for the pypilot.

Having a little difficulty picturing how you want to attach it to a cable. Do you not have an arm attached to your rudder post? A rod as suggested is the most accurate way to attach the sensor to the rudder post arm. You can see a pic in this link how I set up the sensor.

They do make string sensors (retractable reel type) that could be used instead, but are much more expensive.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 07:02   #9

Think about the geometry here for just a second.

How much cable goes by one spot to move the rudder from hard over to hard over? Two feet? More? You'll have a bit of a geometry problem getting that connected in a useful way to the sensor arm that has a throw of 4 or 6 inches.

When you install the autopilot, it needs to know the position of the RUDDER, not the cable. Even a tiny bit of slack in the cable with have you slewing all over the place.

There are lots of good reasons to attach directly to the quadrant or rudder post. No good reasons to attach to anything else. If you were building a boat for me, "easy for you" doesn't count as a good reason for me!

This is a non-starter.

Before you try to get too clever, try a bit more creativity. Nothing says the sender has to sit horizontally. It can attach to a vertical bulkhead, or even upside down. The push arm from the sender to the quadrant can be as long as needed. It fits through a very small hole (slot actually!) in a bulkhead if needed. It can run off a separate small tiller arm off the rudder post if that helps. It is best if it is in a plane normal to the rudder post, but a bit of up down deflection isn't a big deal.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 07:25   #10

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Yes, all kinds go ways you can mount it.

The installation done on our boat at the factory had the "tiller"on the rudder post facing aft, and the "tiller" of the sensor going forward. It seemed to work OK, but I didn't like the geometry as the tillers were parallel only when straight ahead.So the indicated rudder angle would not be accurate, FWIW. I needed to move it all out of the way, so thought it would be better with the tillers both pointing in the same direction.

Ultimately I mounted the sensor upside down, with shows there are all kinds of ways it can be installed. I also made the radius of the tiller arm on the rudder post exactly the length of the sensor tiller arm.
ggray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 08:57   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

In practice, perhaps no problem.

Until I added an autopilot with (of course) it's own rudder sensor, I had a working indicator that was based on a generic fuel tank sensor and fuel gauge from an auto parts store. The arm of the sensor runs over a variable resistor, varying the voltage to the meter. I flipped the meter upside down, and made 1/2 tank midship rudder, empty/starboard/green was full starboard rudder and full/red/port was full port rudder. It wasn't calibrated like my autopilot gauge, but it made it easy to find midship rudder when docking, particularly given a hydraulic steering system that has no center position for the wheel. Crude, but it worked.
Old 23-02-2020, 09:53   #12

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46

I just installed a Garmin GRF 10 rudder sensor replacing a potentiometer in the autopilot drive. This new sensor came with arm and bracket. Just make the sensor arm parallel to the rudder and the arm the same distance from the rudder shaft.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1769 copy.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	429.2 KB
ID:	209291  
SofiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 12:12   #13

Boat: Swan 57

As said above, you need to install the sensor level to your quadrant so it can be attached to the quadrant with a parallel stay. Do not take any short cuts here. If the auto pilot is not installed properly you will regret it every time you sail. sailing short handed, you will use it at least 90%.
Hermia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 14:15   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
We used that exact sensor when setting up the angle indicator for the pypilot.

Having a little difficulty picturing how you want to attach it to a cable. Do you not have an arm attached to your rudder post? A rod as suggested is the most accurate way to attach the sensor to the rudder post arm. You can see a pic in this link how I set up the sensor.

They do make string sensors (retractable reel type) that could be used instead, but are much more expensive.

It's probably not the best picture but yes I do have a quadrant attached to the rudder post. But how do I attach the sensor to the quadrant without building a shelf?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1838.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	209304  
Old 23-02-2020, 14:27   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
In practice, perhaps no problem.

Until I added an autopilot with (of course) it's own rudder sensor, I had a working indicator that was based on a generic fuel tank sensor and fuel gauge from an auto parts store. The arm of the sensor runs over a variable resistor, varying the voltage to the meter. I flipped the meter upside down, and made 1/2 tank midship rudder, empty/starboard/green was full starboard rudder and full/red/port was full port rudder. It wasn't calibrated like my autopilot gauge, but it made it easy to find midship rudder when docking, particularly given a hydraulic steering system that has no center position for the wheel. Crude, but it worked.

What is wrong with that? Why do you need an ultra accurate indicator?

I look at this way: if you wanted to measure the speed of a car you could measure the RPM of a back wheel or you could measure the RPM of a gear in the gear-box.

Measurement of the movement in a steering cable will equal the measurement of the movement of the quadrant.

I'll have another look at your comments and see if I should re-think the exercise.

Thanks

Tags
installation, rudder