Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2019, 18:12   #31

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Induction/Expanded Electric vs Propane What Would You Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions as to an induction cooktop brand that can take it down to 100 watts without cycling to do so?
I don't know any induction cooker that will only draw 100 watts without cycling.

On Led Myne, we use a NuWave PIC Flex single burner cooktop. It allows the operator to select three settings - from memory: 1,300 watts; 900 watts; and 600 watts.

That's without cycling.

When using shore power in a marina, we might follow StuM's recommendations. When at anchor, relying inverted AC power from our battery bank, we cook happily at either of the lower power settings (depending on what we're cooking - our usual cruiser style of galley work focuses on the pressure cooker).
Old 25-12-2019, 20:57   #32

Once you get a rig and sails on the boat you shouldn't need to carry 600litres of fuel. We rarely carry half that amount, and most of that gets used in the dinghy.

Maybe stick with propane for cooking until such time as you install LiFePO4 batteries?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 21:07   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgewater View Post
Gas. In Aus. the gas is sold as LPG and the requirements for certification and compliance are extensive, detailed and onerous, especially in Queensland.
!
Not really. The system needs to be inspected and certified before registering the boat in Qld. But it's a one off, and takes less than an hour.

There are sensible and obvious requirements for venting gas storage lockers, and ventilation for cooking areas.

A gas detector with solenoid cut-off valve is a sensible thing to have, whether required or not.

AFAIK, some other states basically have no certification requirements.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 22:08   #34

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
I don't know any induction cooker that will only draw 100 watts without cycling.

On Led Myne, we use a NuWave PIC Flex single burner cooktop. It allows the operator to select three settings - from memory: 1,300 watts; 900 watts; and 600 watts.

That's without cycling.

When using shore power in a marina, we might follow StuM's recommendations. When at anchor, relying inverted AC power from our battery bank, we cook happily at either of the lower power settings (depending on what we're cooking - our usual cruiser style of galley work focuses on the pressure cooker).
Oh no, really??

Not having complete control of the temperature makes this a non starter. If I can't go to a low simmer without cycling, I can't use induction.

Cycling is hard on the electrical system.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 22:53   #35

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Oh no, really??

Not having complete control of the temperature makes this a non starter. If I can't go to a low simmer without cycling, I can't use induction.

Maybe you and I have to do more reading?

Induction Unit Power Cycling on Low Settings
https://www.houzz.com/discussions/22...n-low-settings

Induction or Electric Cooktop Burner Pulsating
Answer: It is normal for Wolf Induction and Electric Cooktop burners to pulsate during use. Burners may be solid on high power setting and start pulsing as temperature is lowered. Low temperatures with large cooking loads may allow the burner to darken before pulsing back on.
Induction or Electric Cooktop Burner Pulsating | FAQ | Sub ...

coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 23:10   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Has everyone read this thread from around six months ago?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...op-221002.html
Reading through now. Good information on specific models.

44c:. I was looking at the fact that we don't actually do any cooking when it's dark out and the fact that I have 1400 watts of solar (currently 700 watts is installed).

Given this setup (plus a generator) I wouldn't run the cooktop off the batteries at all, really.
Old 25-12-2019, 23:19   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I can give you another data point. We have a 4 burner gas stove/oven but the gas system has been down for 1 1/2 years and I have not even bothered to fix it, although I have the part and it's a 30 minute job.

We do all cooking on two portable induction hobs and a microwave oven these days. It's true I can't bake with the gas system down, but this has proven to be amazingly practical.

I have the same invert/charger that Jedi has, and this easily runs the hobs and microwave, maybe not all on high and at the same time, but you learn to regulate and balance this and it is not at all a big deal. "High" on the hobs is 2000 watts and it's never essential -- "Medium" will get any job done (because of the very high efficiency of transfer of power to the food), just taking somewhat longer if something needs to boil etc.

I have a medium sized battery bank of 420ah @ 24v, and I can cook a meal on battery power, but an elaborate meal will take a big bite out of capacity so I will generally start either generator (diesel heavy duty 6.5kW) or main engine when doing serious cooking as opposed to a quick lunch or breakfast. This is not a problem on a long passage under sail as anyway we need to charge batteries at least once a day -- so you just coordinate battery charging you would be doing anyway, with cooking.

I've got no solar, and so far only lead batteries. With solar and/or lithium batteries, this would work even that much better. But I am still totally satisfied -- induction cooking is the bomb.

I'm not sure it's been mentioned in this thread, but there are other advantages to it -- less heat in the cabin, no combustion products, and it simply cooks much better, much more responsive control over heat, once you get used to it. You have separate control of power and temperature and therfore much more control compared to gas where you only control power.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 23:27   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
You know, I think the same thing. It’s all about being able to control the temperature. But from what I understand, induction is actually superior to the flame. The change in heat is actually instant.

Correct.

The experience of cooking on induction is to gas, as gas was to the old type resistance electric cooking, or maybe an even bigger improvement than that.

It's not just the instant change of heat, it's the separate temperature control.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 25-12-2019, 23:30   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Oh no, really??

It's not actually a problem. I'm using the NuWave Pic Gold, with lowest power setting of 600 watts. It does cycle to get a low simmer but this does not cause any issues with the electrical system. The low simmer is absolutely brilliant because it is controlled by the temperature setting, not power.
Walt Whitman
Old 25-12-2019, 23:32   #40

Quote:
Ah, I should mention the generator is only for HVAC and emergency backup power in my design. I worry about making noise in quiet anchorages to cook. I also worry that a mechanical issue with the generator taking out cooking will really upset me. Lol. Trying to design systems that work for extended times away from shore.

However, the generator route is the easiest (no getting propane) and the lightest (use existing onboard fuel). Good points. Probably the most economical as well, other than leaving it all running on propane.

I had seriously considered relying on the generator for everything, but had concerns about the generator breaking down and leaving us with no food, etc.
I share Your points of view.....no food, etc,etc,etc
How would a second generator affect the system on Your boat and Your concerns ?

You have lot´s of solar. You also have a good size of battery.
But with induction cooking You have a constant load for an extensive !!!UNPREDICTABLE!!! period of time unless You want to limit Your menu to romantic hamburgers.

I don´t see this issues sufficiently addressed if at all.
This is an issue that needs to be dealt with in form of light weight for the boat and the cruising kitty. It needs to be reliable during extensive periods, functional, practical and service friendly.

This can not be compared with an RV because with an RV You can comfortable drive to the source of the fuel and on the boat it´s a pain in the rear + all the other inconveniences......but it´s reliable, quiet and service friendly.
Induction cooking is adding new serious watts of HVAC demand EVERYDAY to systems that are designed to produce solar DC
Old 26-12-2019, 00:00   #41

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
We do all cooking on two portable induction hobs and a microwave oven these days. It's true I can't bake with the gas system down, but this has proven to be amazingly practical..
I don't have a gas oven but I have an "Infra-red microwave oven" and I'm told this will bake a chicken with a golden crust.

I also have a bread-maker to bake fresh bread daily.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 00:33   #42
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Interesting. How so?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 00:57   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Interesting. How so?
Slams the governor around when running off the genset, creates higher currents in the genset controls. Puts more stress on the linkages inside the engine as the generator keeps running at WOT momentarily to bring the output from 0 to 1.8kw over and over. Sounds god awful to listen to and will surely pissoff the neighbors.

Also creates higher currents in the control board of the inverter than steady state loads. The additional stress leads to higher incident of replacement of both of these expensive items.

Creates additional stress in your brain listening to it thrashing your expensive equipment around too. Ha ha.

I'm off grid. Don't picture it running off a power company.
Old 26-12-2019, 01:00   #44
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

The power cycling is a problem for simmering and other low heat cooking techniques. I already posted links to the Cooktek Apogee units which are the best and do not have these problems... but are expensive.

There is one other choice that works good and is half the price and that is the Vollrath Mirage Pro. I have that unit as well and use it as our daily cooktop.

I also have some $45 units that work surprisingly good but just not good enough for chef level requirements which is why I recommend to buy one expensive unit (Cooktek or a Vollrath in the US) and one or two of the cheaper ones for the easier tasks like boiling, frying etc.

Here is a good page to read: https://www.centurylife.org/how-to-c...tertop-burner/
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 01:05   #45
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Slams the governor around when running off the genset, creates higher currents in the genset controls and sounds god awful to listen to. Also creates higher currents in the control board of the inverter than steady state loads. The additional stress leads to higher incident of replacement of both of these expensive items.

Creates additional stress in your brain listening to it thrashing your expensive equipment around too. Ha ha.

I'm off grid. Don't picture it running off a power company.
Yes, only talking about off grid.

And for purpose of the discussion, no genset.

Assume inverter is fed by stored energy from a big LFP bank.

In this case, if it's a solid, quality inverter, say Magnum, Victron, Mastervolt,

then even a high current AC load cycling even frequently really should not be a strain.

A big 30+ gph watermaker or SCUBA or aircon compressor would be similar. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, propane