Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2019, 06:44   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Induction/Expanded Electric vs Propane What Would You Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Any idea what watts are used at half heat or at lowest heat settings on an induction cooktop? I suppose 1800 watts is for boiling water.
Yep, 1800W i good for quickly bringing water to the boil or bringing oil up to deep fry temperature. Far too much power once you get to that point.

For steaks, chops etc - I start off at 1000-1200W and then down to 600- 800W once seared.

For boiling eggs, potatoes etc, once the water starts to boil (which happens very quickly) 400-600W keeps them bubbling nicely

Spag bol, chilli, curries etc are quite happy simmering away at 200-400W once up to temperature.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 06:47   #17

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Yep, 1800W i good for quickly bringing water to the boil or bringing oil up to deep fry temperature. Far too much power once you get to that point.

For steaks, chops etc - I start off at 1000-1200W and then down to 600- 800W once seared.

For boiling eggs, potatoes etc, once the water starts to boil (which happens very quickly) 400-600W keeps them bubbling nicely

Spag bol, chilli, curries etc are quite happy simmering away at 200-400W once up to temperature.
Excellent information! Thank you!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to an induction cooktop brand that can take it down to 100 watts without cycling to do so?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 07:15   #18
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Excellent information! Thank you!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to an induction cooktop brand that can take it down to 100 watts without cycling to do so?
Where are you? In the US we got our best cooktop from Cooktek. They have both countertop and drop in models, 1- or 2-burner.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 07:29   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Where are you? In the US we got our best cooktop from Cooktek. They have both countertop and drop in models, 1- or 2-burner.
Yes. I’m in the states. So products that are available here would be good. If anyone from the states knows of any.
Old 25-12-2019, 08:06   #20
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Yes. I’m in the states. So products that are available here would be good. If anyone from the states knows of any.
I can recommend this one: https://cooktek.com/product/one-burner-cooktops/
They also have high power 240V versions. I have a 3,000W drop-in version in my motorhome but use 120V/1,800W versions aboard.

I recommend one single burner unit. For a second unit I would buy a much cheaper one because you probably don’t need the fancy features there.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 09:06   #21
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Of course propane has its issues, and once you've committed to an all-electric gally, there are many ways to make the consumption more manageable.

But there is no question, you need a **much** higher capacity DC electric system to accommodate it, unless it's convenient to run the genset while cooking.

There are many meals need cooking for well over an hour, if conservation is your priority are you willing to only prepare those on shore power?

There is no one solution, just recommending caution before making the jump. Catnewbee's big LFP thread might be overkill, but great details there. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 10:05   #22

Boat: Endeavour Catamaran 36'

Hi, we have been living aboard an Endeavourcat 36 for the past 2 years.. We are also in the process of refitting our galley.. our propane 2 burner stove never really worked well ( removed the propane tank) so, I have had to find different ways to cook..We do have a microwave and an electric tea pot..
I tried using an electric hot plate, but, it did not offer any heat control other than high and low..and it had a high draw...I have since purchased a single hob induction cook top and love it..They say Induction is 90% efficiant compared to 65% for electric and 40% for gas/propane... Of the 1800watts available I have only used 1000watts..it boils water very quickly, has great temperature control..so, you will spend less time and energy cooking..it does not heat the galley(only the pot)..At this point we do spend a lot of time plugged into shore power, but, when on the hook we run the generator briefly(it needs to be run anyway occasionally..use it or lose it) I have also picked up a Convection oven for baking..so, far so good
Our fridge runs off our inverter (2000 watts)and have not had any problems. We have always had to juggle our electric usage anyway..it is not a house..but, once you learn how to shuffle power usage it is easy..We conserve our electric as we do our water and fuel .
We don't have solar, but, it's on the short list..When we fully retire, we will spend more time cruising and on the hook..
My thought is, do your research..
Every situation and application is different , but in my opinion Induction is the way to go!!
Mike Cunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 11:58   #23

Boat: Rawson 30PH

I suggest you also consider diesel for cooking and heating. I really like my Wallas cooktop. It uses induction type cookware and a small electric burner would be a good add to complement

No fire issues and the cooktop is also a heater😀
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 12:12   #24
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
I'm stuck in a bit of a design rut regarding induction cooking.

While it's not fun going to get propane once in a while, I'm looking at putting in induction burners and it's looking pretty bad. I see 1800 watts on these things. I know we spend at least an hour a day cooking on the stove top. This can include 3 burners. What a beast of an electrical consumption issue.

I have a 440AH FLA bank because I wanted to center the systems around the propane refrigerator and propane in general, to keep it light. I'm upgrading to a non propane refrigerator. A household type. This should be fine since I have 1400 watts of solar. Batteries are only needed at night. Note: I still have to pick up a charge controller and 2 more 350 watt panels. I have 700 watts now, designed to 1400.

However, I was thinking of ditching the propane and going to all electric but the weight penalty is making me a bit nauseous. Ha ha. The money aspect isn't great either.

Currently:
Propane refrigerator
Propane hot water heater
Propane cooktop
Gasoline outboards
Enough propane to last 4 months (60lbs)
Gasoline generator
150 gallons gasoline
Electric oven (not used every day, requires generator run)
Microwave
12v spectra watermaker

Was Contemplating:
Electric home refrigerator
Induction cooktop
Electric hot water
Gasoline outboards
Eliminate propane
Keep all else from above list

Looking at energy consumption requirements, I'd have to add an incredible amount of batteries (plus those extra panels and charge controller) or run the generator every time I want to cook in a serious way, which is quite often, almost daily.

What are some opinions on this, keeping in mind weight and money are the two most important design factors?

Should I stick with what I have or try to use induction/electric everything?
Getting back to your original question,

I would advise you stick with your Propane Oriented design for cooking for now........ but get a single plate induction as a backup and to "ease" you into all electric galley while you look at upgraded solar and battery/invertor solutions to keep a larger house bank healthy.

Focus on efficient refrigeration (not house type).

Solar generation is the key and as I now have 1673w of Solar to keep 780AH of batteries @ 24v Full.
......I've gone all electric galley, with backup BBQ on the stern.
I love the cool, no-fuss induction for the tropics . (you can have the hatches wide open when cooking, without worrying about the burner on simmer blowing out)

But.... If you cannot pay the weight penalty of larger storage batteries and accompanying inversion to AC consumers.... then stick with propane where practical.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 12:40   #25

Boat: Taswell 43

Another approach-one we adopted and installed 15 years ago-is still working just fine, and may be worth your consideration. The admiral loves to cook on electric....vs propane. So we have built our boat around the genset. We have a 230vAC watermaker, a 230vAC refer/freezer open-wheel compressor setup(so it can be dis-assembled and repaired anywhere), and a 230v 3-burner Force 10 stove. We run the genset 2x/day, morning and suppertime, making water 1/5 days, pulling down the refer and freezer, cooking, and recharging the 675ahr LA house bank. Yes, we carry spares for the genset, and a couple of times it has quit and needed repairs. But we use a 12v "Cool Box" for a drink cooler that doubles as a refer and/or freezer when needed, and is built into the nav seat so it's out of the way. We do have propane onboard-but only for the Barby. We've sailed Asia, the Medd, and now the Caribb.....and no one has yet to complain about our genset noise in anchorages. Works for us! PS...we also run a windgen and 320watts of solar....I think the windgen makes more noise than the genset!.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 13:41   #26

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

I can answer the idle draw question, for victron 3kva, 2.4 kw phoenix inverter.

It draws 7w in search mode, and, I think 20 watts on normal standby.

There are 3 standby options, approximately 20w, 15w, and 7 watts.

Search mode cycles the unit every 2 seconds, looking for a load. I'm happy with it, so far.

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 13:48   #27

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I would keep the propane stove. I am partial to cooking over a flame. Electric everything else.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 15:21   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril Bham View Post
I would keep the propane stove. I am partial to cooking over a flame. Electric everything else.

You know, I think the same thing. It’s all about being able to control the temperature. But from what I understand, induction is actually superior to the flame. The change in heat is actually instant.
Old 25-12-2019, 16:44   #29

Gas. In Aus. the gas is sold as LPG and the requirements for certification and compliance are extensive, detailed and onerous, especially in Queensland.
If you have gas appliances inside your boat and if any of those have a "pilot" flame (such as refrigerators etc.) you probably have no chance of getting it passed. If there is a gas spill and it settles in the bilges and then rises to the pilot flame, it's all over for the boat and occupants. I have seen this happen in Darwin and the owner was on the deck. He was hurtled a good ten metres off the aft of his yacht. The interior caught on fire. The ply deck burnt and the sails and rigging were damaged before the fire was extinguished. The hull was ferro-cement so it survived, but the rest was generally a complete loss.
A NZ acquaintance had a similar experience when the flexible hose on a gimballed gas stove leaked. The subsequent explosion blew out all the hatches and lifted the cabin side timbers off the deck. Fortunately no one was aboard when this happened.
Because of the complex requirements with LPG, owners install automatic gas detectors with solenoid cut-offs at the gas bottles. The gas installations must be done by a certified gas installer.
Insurance companies also make much and song and dance regarding gas installations.
However, a gas grill on the aft deck is generally OK and off the shelf fittings and installation are usually acceptable.
I just can't believe that anyone would use any gas appliance that had an idle or pilot flame. It's a recipe for disaster. Fortunately these appliances with pilot flames are generally a thing of the past.
This is enough to encourage anyone to consider gas alternatives, particularly inside. I believe that induction cookers will become the preferred standard in the future due to their inherent safety. Also, their cost has really come down. However, matching power supply with cooking demands does surely involve some close attention.
Microwave cookers are also a great alternative and they won't heat up the inside of a small boat as much. Again it's all about the electrickery!
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 16:57   #30

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Has everyone read this thread from around six months ago?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...op-221002.html
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, propane