Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2019, 10:47   #61

Re: Induction/Expanded Electric vs Propane What Would You Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper53 View Post
sv Delos did the conversion to induction cooking. They did a couple videos about it including a QandA. Thy are using Lithium Ion batteries, plus solar, plus wind, plus a generator. You can get all the s0ecif8cs of their install by contacting them a sv Delos.com. They'd be happy to share their experiences with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
Fair point, and as background I live aboard full time and in the last year have crossed the pacific to New Zealand so it's worked in any and all conditions.

Well, this is all very great but it does not answer the questions
&
Thread is NOT Delos, lithium, solar, wind and gen and what not

I am also very interested in applications of induction tech/cooking on the boat.
But there are Pros on CF that derail threads with ABYC standards, rules and regulation for a lot less and I wanna know there position.

And I also wanna know how this company can put this statement in their Spec on there official web site....

You can take your NuWave PIC with you when you travel. Whether you’re ... "on the boat", in the RV, or simply on a weekend camping trip.

Now those are legitimate questions.
But here let me help You

https://www.nuwavepic.com/resource/p...NUM-MANUAL.pdf

OWNERS MANUAL
Page 8 -
Nº 12
Use proper judgement and caution
The appliance should be situated on flat, stable surfaces, away from water sources such as
pools, spas, sprinklers, hoses, etc.

Nº 14
This appliance is for household use only

Page 9
IMPORTANT - FCC information
This device complies with part 18 of the FCC rules

Page 19
WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER
This limited warranty does not cover failure, damage or inadequate performance due to corrosive type atmospheres

Read manufacturer´s obligation

Last page...
Again FOR HOUSEHOLD USE ONLY
designed & developed in USA
Made in China - All Rights Reserved

I can´t find absolute nothing that covers the use on boats.... not even talking about my question in regards to possible interference with Navigation Devices on boats

But if You insist we can kick it under the table and I am sure it will disappear
Old 26-12-2019, 10:59   #62
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

It’s pretty simple: don’t use while underway if you can’t provide a stable platform and pot holders for it. Also, keep it at least 1 meter away from a compass or heading sensor.

For use at anchor, you can put a silicon mat between cooktop and pan to make it sturdier. Some create a swing platform for use offshore.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 11:08   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
It’s pretty simple: don’t use while underway if you can’t provide a stable platform and pot holders for it. Also, keep it at least 1 meter away from a compass or heading sensor.

For use at anchor, you can put a silicon mat between cooktop and pan to make it sturdier. Some create a swing platform for use offshore.
Hahaha, I like the the swing platform for use offshore
What is Your recommendation for inspectors with problem of digestions
Old 26-12-2019, 11:17   #64
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior 90 View Post
Keep laughing, the rest of the world won’t stop enjoying propane free induction cooking
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B8EBA144-243A-4D96-A570-B4D725F0B932.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	205679  
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 11:38   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Keep laughing, the rest of the world won’t stop enjoying propane free induction cooking
Well, I am not laughing but I believe in this case the best is following the......

OWNERS MANUAL
Page 8 -
Nº 12
Use proper judgement and caution

Because I think induction technology is AWESOME

Is that a gimbaled oven ?
Old 26-12-2019, 11:47   #66

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Warrior, u pulling our leg right? Was your toilet lid judged to be marine grade? The boat won’t suddenly sink because you have a useful household appliance on board.

There have been multiple propane explosions on boats this last year. Propane is much more dangerous than electric cooking. My wife is probably the finest cook I have ever met. I worked in restaurants from the time I was 14 till I graduated from university at 26. All kinds of venues and styles. I have lived in Russia for a year and China for 6 months. My father was a professional cook. No one cooks food like my wife can. I am in the heaven. When I rebuilt the kitchen from bare studs I planned it down to ventilation with a commercial grade hood. I solarized my house a year ago. We have surplus electricity. So we went to a Nuwave induction cooktop.
It has 6 cooking levels.

My wife loves the damn thing. No huge heat heating up the kitchen. No fumes from the odorized gas. She has no problem cooking any of her delicious recipes. I can’t remember the last time I saw her use gas top
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 12:17   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Warrior, u pulling our leg right? Was your toilet lid judged to be marine grade? The boat won’t suddenly sink because you have a useful household appliance on board.

There have been multiple propane explosions on boats this last year. Propane is much more dangerous than electric cooking. My wife is probably the finest cook I have ever met. I worked in restaurants from the time I was 14 till I graduated from university at 26. All kinds of venues and styles. I have lived in Russia for a year and China for 6 months. My father was a professional cook. No one cooks food like my wife can. I am in the heaven. When I rebuilt the kitchen from bare studs I planned it down to ventilation with a commercial grade hood. I solarized my house a year ago. We have surplus electricity. So we went to a Nuwave induction cooktop.
It has 6 cooking levels.

My wife loves the damn thing. No huge heat heating up the kitchen. No fumes from the odorized gas. She has no problem cooking any of her delicious recipes. I can’t remember the last time I saw her use gas top
Hell NO, hahaha where did You get this idea ?
I am a practical man
And with a Condor Tri 30 I would also throw that old propane bottle over board the sooner the better.
And with the saved weight looking for a space for a sweet little extra cooler for ice cream and beer.
That keeps the cook in a good mood
Old 26-12-2019, 13:07   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Just set the induction hob on top of your gimballed propane stove and unlock the gimbal. Has worked great for us offshore over thousands of miles even quite rough weather. Or in moderate conditions just leave on the counter and rely on the silicon mat.

I don't understand the last sentence of this post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior 90 View Post
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 13:46   #69

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Coop:. These aren't hot plates. Best to make the distinction in your post to be sure. These are creating a huge electromagnetic field nearby to your cookware that sets up a huge current inside your cookware. The resistance in your cookware to the big current causes heat in the cookware itself. Just like bad wiring in a boat. Ha ha ha.

Hot plates have a coil inside the burner that has resistance and makes the burner itself hot. Then you place the pan on the burner to get the pan hot from the pan conducting the heat same as a pan over a fire.

Two very different things.

Simmering by quickly switching on and off the current is the cheap way to do it. Simmering by providing a weaker electromagnetic field is the proper way to do it but takes more engineering.

Thanks for that but I am aware of the difference between induction heating and thermal heating. My understanding is that the hot plates on which we put our saucepans at home are heated thermally.

Sorry!!! The penny dropped: I called them "hot plates" but on an induction cooker they don't get hot. What are they called on an induction cooker? Maybe induction hob? I think I've got it!!

I'm quite sure the hot plates in our home maintain a "medium" (or "low") heat by cycling on and off. The Wikipedia quote says induction heating does this also but does it far more efficiently than thermal. (That's the way I read it but I'll go back over it)

I'm sure I have braised meat on my stove (thermal hot plate) at home (maybe that's why it tastes so awful?)

QUOTE " and off the current is the cheap way to do it. Simmering by providing a weaker electromagnetic field is the proper way to do it but takes more engineering."

I wondered about that and couldn't work out why some portable induction cookers cost $49 (like mine) and others cost $200+
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 14:13   #70

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Thanks for that but I am aware of the difference between induction heating and thermal heating. My understanding is that the hot plates on which we put our saucepans at home are heated thermally.

Sorry!!! The penny dropped: I called them "hot plates" but on an induction cooker they don't get hot. What are they called on an induction cooker? Maybe induction hob? I think I've got it!!

I'm quite sure the hot plates in our home maintain a "medium" (or "low") heat by cycling on and off. The Wikipedia quote says induction heating does this also but does it far more efficiently than thermal. (That's the way I read it but I'll go back over it)

I'm sure I have braised meat on my stove (thermal hot plate) at home (maybe that's why it tastes so awful?)

QUOTE " and off the current is the cheap way to do it. Simmering by providing a weaker electromagnetic field is the proper way to do it but takes more engineering."

I wondered about that and couldn't work out why some portable induction cookers cost $49 (like mine) and others cost $200+

Ok. Sorry!!!

No harm intended.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 14:24   #71

Boat: Oyster 66

Does nobody miss a 3 or 4 burner cooker? A proper meal is meat and 2 veg. That adds up to 3 burners. I just couldn’t do with any less and you can’t 3 or 4 of fit those induction units in the space of the cooker top. A row of them on the worktop wouldn’t seem right and no use underway.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 14:32   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
Does nobody miss a 3 or 4 burner cooker? A proper meal is meat and 2 veg. That adds up to 3 burners. I just couldn’t do with any less and you can’t 3 or 4 of fit those induction units in the space of the cooker top. A row of them on the worktop wouldn’t seem right and no use underway.

I have two induction hobs and occasionally use both at the same time, if I need to simmer one thing while cooking another.

My gas stove has 4 burners but on boats you are lucky to be able to use 2 at once, much less three or four, so I haven't noticed any big difference. YMMV! If you want to use 3 or 4 burners at once, then you need a bigger stove than what they put in even large sailing yachts.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 15:29   #73
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
I was concerned about the same thing as on our original Smeg gas cook top it had 4 burner rings 1 large 2 medium and 1 small.
My partner often used 3.
So when redoing the galley, I managed to find a 4 hob Elba induction top that had the same footprint as the Smeg and 9 power settings plus power boost. She loves it and the new cookware we got for it.

On the issue of Simmer, we just did a big pot of hearty beef stew for frozen meals (18 servings) made in a large pressure pot.

Simmering on low setting for 90 minutes one of the biggest advantages over gas is that you can freely open up the galley hatches, portholes and fans without worrying about the burner blowing out.

Our power does fluctuate ramping slowly up and down within a 2-3amp cycle on our 220v meter.

Stews or spaghetti sauce simmers to whatever size bubbles you want, but it does get a touch livelier on the ramp up for about 2 seconds.

We can definitely live with that as neither of us are professional cooks and we just love the clean no fuss, no sweat joy of induction cooking on a boat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191227-070349_Chrome.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	205687Click image for larger version

Name:	20191220_095727.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	205688
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 15:57   #74

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Our power does fluctuate ramping slowly up and down within a 2-3amp cycle on our 220v meter.

Stews or spaghetti sauce simmers to whatever size bubbles you want, but it does get a touch livelier on the ramp up for about 2 seconds.

We can definitely live with that as neither of us are professional cooks and we just love the clean no fuss, no sweat joy of induction cooking on a boat.

Attachment 205687Attachment 205688
Now wait a second. You are seeing a slow transition from 2-3 amps as your cycle??? Or between 40 and 60 amps at the 12v battery? 4-6 amps on a 120v generator?

That's a completely different story.

Not having owned one of these before, I was assuming it cycled like a microwave.

7.5 amps on for a second or two at 220, then 0 amps for a second or two.
15 amps on for a second or two at 120, them 0.
150 amps at 12v, them zero.

Cheap and dirty binary cycling.

It's a COMPLETELY different situation if it is hunting around a bit but maintaining the load, going from a little too cold to a little too hot for a simmer.

That's completely workable. Just a little annoying.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 16:18   #75
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I have not monitored fluctuating load at all 9 power settings since we normally bring food to a sizzle at 5 back down to 3 or 4 to mix and add then simmer at 2 ... keep warm at 1.

When simmering, the bubbles don't stop, constant tiny bubbles, but when cycles up, speed of bubbles increases for two seconds.

Doesn't annoy me in the least
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, propane