Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2019, 13:21   #1

Boat: Hylas 54
How to stop crevice corrosion?

My boat has 4 dorade vents that all show crevice corrosion like the photo. I have treated with rust stain remover, which cleans them up temporarily, but the rust always returns and it is getting worse. Any ideas on how to stop it?

jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 13:28   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: How to stop crevice corrosion?

Not sure how this is crevice corrosion. Looks like normal corrosion, clean up with your choice of cleaner, stainless steel inst as stainless as most think. Also may be lower grade of stainless.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 13:31   #3

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

By the look of it it is caused by the fabrication of this model of vent.
There seems to be a crevice caused by the bending of the metal.
I do not see a solution to this problem, sorry.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 13:50   #4
rbk

Lol it does appear to be a crevice caused by corrosion...
Old 26-09-2019, 14:28   #5

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Very linear corrosion, nature doesn’t like straight lines .....
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 16:39   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 5.1
Send a message via Skype™ to Corrosion-Eng

Please send detailed photo. I will be able to determine if the cause is Marine Electrolysis.
Corrosion-Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 19:39   #7
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion-Eng View Post
Please send detailed photo. I will be able to determine if the cause is Marine Electrolysis.
Looks like all the hair has already been removed...
Old 27-09-2019, 19:39   #8

Boat: Hylas 54

It seems my original photo link died. The corrosion seems to be at a welded joint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190907_144209.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	200637  
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 20:10   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 5.1
Send a message via Skype™ to Corrosion-Eng

Hi,
The corrosion, rust colored, is created by air carried low level current (stray current). Chrome plating would normally stop that stray current creating rust. The chrome has insufficient depth to stop rust forming. Re plating or coating with anything that stops air would stop the rust from forming. Such as a good quality paint or coating. No water based paints.

Detail at: Search for marine electrolysis, click Conquer marine corrosion CAUSE

Corrosion-Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 20:32   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
The corrosion, rust colored, is created by air carried low level current (stray current).
Say what???

"Air carried low level current"... please, some elaboration of this rather novel concept as applied to a s/s cowl vent mounted on a non conductive fiberglass substrate.

I am far from convinced that painting stainless steel is a useful means of stopping such corrosion, nor that it would be an attractive solution to the OP.

And for the OP: one possible approach is to passivate the weld area... something that good welders do routinely. One can buy "pickling paste" at welding shops, or use citric acid, usually sourced from home brew equipment vendors, or phosphoric acid. Returning the surface of the s/s weld area to a passive state should retard the corrosion.

Jim
Old 27-09-2019, 20:38   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt11791 View Post
It seems my original photo link died. The corrosion seems to be at a welded joint.
!not sure if that's a weld joint or just Chrome plated Steel. If it really is a weld this was non ss welding rod. Was this made in China. either way it's not stainless. Get some phosphoric acid from the hardware store and coat all the Rusty bits. That will passivate the rust. Then have a little West epoxy to fill in the cracks and crevices. Then paint with the color of your choice.

It's not stray current. it's probably just cheap material. it would not be the first time I saw stainless steel parts welded with non stainless rod from China.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 20:53   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Say what???

"Air carried low level current"... please, some elaboration of this rather novel concept as applied to a s/s cowl vent mounted on a non conductive fiberglass substrate.

Jim
Jim, you gotta look at the big picture and not cherry pick the words. The full description was "air carried low level current (stray current)". The stray current is what gives meaning to the phrase - you gotta know your electrical theory to understand what is happening.

You see real (or proper) current is the current that runs around metal wire and it is kept there by the insulation on the wire but at the terminals of the wire, most folk don't cover them with the right stuff. Some even leave them exposed to the air and this is where the current strays off from the wire. It is called stray current and it then travels around wherever the air carries it. Of course it is low level unless there is a significant thermal updraft that carries it higher.

I'm not sure but I think that if enough of it is carried aloft, it stays there until it rains which washes it out and back to the ground - we call it lightning

By keeping a weather eye on the covering of the electrical terminals, you can stop it straying into the air and causing problems for other nearby boaters.

Simple really
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 20:59   #13

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Jim, you gotta look at the big picture and not cherry pick the words. The full description was "air carried low level current (stray current)". The stray current is what gives meaning to the phrase - you gotta know your electrical theory to understand what is happening.

You see real (or proper) current is the current that runs around metal wire and it is kept there by the insulation on the wire but at the terminals of the wire, most folk don't cover them with the right stuff. Some even leave them exposed to the air and this is where the current strays off from the wire. It is called stray current and it then travels around wherever the air carries it. Of course it is low level unless there is a significant thermal updraft that carries it higher.

I'm not sure but I think that if enough of it is carried aloft, it stays there until it rains which washes it out and back to the ground - we call it lightning

By keeping a weather eye on the covering of the electrical terminals, you can stop it straying into the air and causing problems for other nearby boaters.

Simple really

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 21:06   #14

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Could the deck mounted flange be constructed of a material other than stainless steel?
It looks like a casting, plated bronze perhaps??
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 21:12   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

Simple really
A lovely discription. Wish i had thought of it....
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrosion