Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2019, 21:14   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: How to stop crevice corrosion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
Could the deck mounted flange be constructed of a material other than stainless steel?
It looks like a casting, plated bronze perhaps??
That is actually my thought. I think that ring it's just Chrome plated Steel. It looks hollow inside.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 21:49   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Jim, you gotta look at the big picture and not cherry pick the words. The full description was "air carried low level current (stray current)". The stray current is what gives meaning to the phrase - you gotta know your electrical theory to understand what is happening.

You see real (or proper) current is the current that runs around metal wire and it is kept there by the insulation on the wire but at the terminals of the wire, most folk don't cover them with the right stuff. Some even leave them exposed to the air and this is where the current strays off from the wire. It is called stray current and it then travels around wherever the air carries it. Of course it is low level unless there is a significant thermal updraft that carries it higher.

I'm not sure but I think that if enough of it is carried aloft, it stays there until it rains which washes it out and back to the ground - we call it lightning

By keeping a weather eye on the covering of the electrical terminals, you can stop it straying into the air and causing problems for other nearby boaters.

Simple really
Damn, Wottie, I'm sure glad that you can explain things so well that even I can understand awfully complex stuff like this!

Outstanding effort, old friend!

Jim
Old 27-09-2019, 22:01   #18

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Just for curious minds, have you checked these parts with a magnetic?
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 22:10   #19
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
A lovely discription. Wish i had thought of it....
Well I can't take all the credit!

Some smart guys like Alessandro Giuseppe Antonio Anastasio Volta, André-Marie Ampère and Georg Simon Ohm did most of the onerous thinking and I just put together in a language more comprehensible for the internet era - crikey, even wikipedia isn't across the exquisite attributes of stray current atmospheric channelling and the defilement and vitiation it causes to cowl vents.

The OP is lucky to have caught it in time.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 23:26   #20

Boat: Island Packet 40

If the mob get wind of that one she could go viral.

There is probably a crack there.

I would clean off the rust with a rust remover, give it a spray of Marine Penetrol or boiled linseed oil or epoxy sealer and wipe off the excess. Whatever you use needs to be thin so that capillary action will draw it into the crack. You will probably need to do it regularly to keep the rust away.

Getting back to the airborne electrolysis theory. Could you please give us a run down on the physics using Maxwell's field equations. Might make it a bit easier to understand if expressed mathematically.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 11:33   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I believe Tesla invented the tin foil hat specifically for "electrolysis" or more specifically for those that believe that it is a corrosion process.
Old 28-09-2019, 14:18   #22

It looks like chrome plated steel with a bit of undercut on the weld. Just clean it periodically as outlined above. There are numerous kinds of stainless that have magnetic properties, the old magnet trick doesn't apply to all stainless.
Old_Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 19:16   #23

electrolysis, galvanic, to a yachty it's all the same. We don't get uptight about a bit of vernacular being introduced into the nomenclature ----- or should that be terminology.
Old 28-09-2019, 19:30   #24

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Is this the joke thread?
Old 28-09-2019, 20:43   #25

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Is this the joke thread?
No, but it does have a laughable poster...

Jim
Old 28-09-2019, 22:57   #26

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
No, but it does have a laughable poster...

Jim
Oh Jim, you're so cruel. But so accurate.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 00:30   #27

Well perhaps you folks would like to explain the difference between galvanic and electrolytic action??
Old 30-09-2019, 01:35   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Well perhaps you folks would like to explain the difference between galvanic and electrolytic action??
Is this a trick question???

Assuming the question is genuine, the answer is straightforward.

Galvanic action occurs when two dissimilar metals are placed in conducting medium creating potential difference and current flows between them.

Electrolytic action occurs when two metals are placed in conducting medium and external EMF is applied to them causing current to flow between them.

But I think you know this!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 01-10-2019, 01:25   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Is this a trick question???

Assuming the question is genuine, the answer is straightforward.

Galvanic action occurs when two dissimilar metals are placed in conducting medium creating potential difference and current flows between them.

Electrolytic action occurs when two metals are placed in conducting medium and external EMF is applied to them causing current to flow between them.

But I think you know this!
If one wanted to get pedantic about it might one proffer that PbO is not a metal in the lead acid battery or carbon in the zinc carbon battery.

And that molten sodium chloride is neither and it can be electrolysed to produce sodium metal or water to produce hydrogen and oxygen.

and one might propose that One could use the hull of ones steel boat for earth return instead of running twin cable without corrosion problems since two metals are not involved.

To be nasty in return for the pile on I'll promise not to use terms of more than one or two syllables in future if I think you blokes are likely to read them.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:33   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
If one wanted to get pedantic about it might one proffer that PbO is not a metal in the lead acid battery or carbon in the zinc carbon battery.

And that molten sodium chloride is neither and it can be electrolysed to produce sodium metal or water to produce hydrogen and oxygen.

and one might propose that One could use the hull of ones steel boat for earth return instead of running twin cable without corrosion problems since two metals are not involved.

To be nasty in return for the pile on I'll promise not to use terms of more than one or two syllables in future if I think you blokes are likely to read them.
Well, I do understand single syllables best

Tags
corrosion