Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2022, 11:15   #1
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: How to fix my hatchboard. I broke off one edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarratt View Post
I have settled on West System's G/Flex 655-1 (1 oz syringe). That is the smallest quantity of a teak epoxy I can buy. $19.99

I called West's technical support and they said to make sure I mix the epoxy for 1-2 minutes. Sanding both pieces of wood with 80 grit on a Dremel was good. And the best way to mix the epoxy was by weight, not volume. West system's directions say to alcohol wipe, but the tech support guy also said acetone was good.
They must be confused, because it is automatically dispensed in correct ratio from the syringe.

Don’t sand it at the broken tenon if it fits together when test dry fit it. The rest of the surface it’s important to sand to remove the old glue residue down to clean wood.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 11:22   #2

Boat: Pilot Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
They must be confused, because it is automatically dispensed in correct ratio from the syringe.
Yep. It does. But, when you read the directions it gives the option of by volume and by weight so I asked the tech support guy for specifics. He said that by weight was best.

I'll use our digital kitchen scale.
esarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 23:42   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarratt View Post
Yep. It does. But, when you read the directions it gives the option of by volume and by weight so I asked the tech support guy for specifics. He said that by weight was best.

I'll use our digital kitchen scale.
The syringe has two tubes with each part in it’s own tube, but the plungers are mechanically linked. You can’t just get one part out for weighing it.

Go with the flow, not against it. Just dispense enough from the syringe, mix it well and glue it up. That is how the product is designed to be used. Scales are nice for when the two parts come in separate containers.

Old 13-12-2022, 00:12   #4

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The syringe has two tubes with each part in it’s own tube, but the plungers are mechanically linked. You can’t just get one part out for weighing it.

Go with the flow, not against it. Just dispense enough from the syringe, mix it well and glue it up. That is how the product is designed to be used. Scales are nice for when the two parts come in separate containers.
Agree, but have to ask, is the product an adhesive or a resin, in my experience adhesives are formulated to be thicker with some gap filling ability and normally supplied in individual containers whereas resins are usually thinner and sometimes supplied as you describe.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 07:20   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Agree, but have to ask, is the product an adhesive or a resin, in my experience adhesives are formulated to be thicker with some gap filling ability and normally supplied in individual containers whereas resins are usually thinner and sometimes supplied as you describe.
The 655 G/flex is a thickened epoxy adhesive. The smallest packaging is a double syringe, like many epoxy adhesives are sold in big box stores, like from Lock-tite etc.

I use the next size packaging up, which is two tubes which you dispense separately. Even these I don’t weigh, just squeeze out equal length beads, then mix and use.

The 650 G/flex is an un-thickened, liquid epoxy adhesive. It’s the same as the 655 before they add a thickening filler. Which one you must use depends on what you are gluing, how much gap filling properties you need. If you use the 650, you can add fillers yourself.

I normally use the base 205 resin and mix in fillers as I need, often two different ones in the same batch, like microfibers plus cabosil.

Tags
hatch