Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2016, 10:20   #16

Re: GEL COAT CRAZING

Agreed, that will have to be determined for sure, but ASSUMING it is just the gel coat, is there an easy fix ?
Classicsailboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 10:29   #17

As one person suggested it may be possible to live with it, the boat looks good, it is just that up close it has this crazing , will it get worse ?
Old 23-05-2016, 10:35   #18

Boat: Able 50

Are you sure you have crazing? This is crazing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	crazing_2.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	124777

With fiberglass boats it is caused by too many years in the sun plus not enough waxing and polishing.

What you have described is something more serious.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 10:40   #19

It isn't like that, don't have a pic, it is several long lines spaced maybe an inch apart. Maybe a stress fracture is a better word, I don't know, but in any event the gel coat is fractured. I used crazing as it was what I would call it.
Old 23-05-2016, 11:47   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

My last boat had what you describe, it came from the PO's contact with a dock and they were at most 6" long.
What you describe I would be very suspicious of, Gelcoat cracks from the underlying fiberglass laminate being displaced enough that the Gelcoat can't flex, so it cracks. Of course the question is what else was damaged, and what happened to flex the glass that much?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 11:47   #21

whats crazing...is that the same as stress cracks...
mikeyboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 11:58   #22

Savior, thank you for educating me on crazing, it isn't that.
A64pilot thanks for that impact possibility, think I got locked into thinking it was from the travel lift and maybe it wasn't .
I have not made an offer, and this discussion leads me to think I will have another look, and take a pic so you can see it.
Thanks again for all comments.
Old 23-05-2016, 12:05   #23

Pics would help. Where exactly is it? Gel is very brittle and doesn't like to flex. That may be all it is. Hard to say. If it's in a corner on a moulded linear piece, it could be because there was an air gap between the glass and the gel.... it's hard to get the glass into a sharp corner.
I would call crazing any cracking that is in the gel and not in the structure... a surface condition, from flexing the gel or from the gel shrinking as it ages. Of course the term is used a lot in pottery... as a desired effect sometimes...Here's something called crazing in a non pottery item:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_065.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	124782  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 12:15   #24

It's not in a corner, it's half way up the top sides, since it is on both sides where the travel lift straps would touch it could be that, but also it could be where the boat hit a dock, will never know is about all we can say. I didn't pay much attention at first as it was one of several boats I had been looking at, but I did point it out to my wife and made a mental note of it. This is all I know, but will get more info, you guys are good, you are persistent as a group, that is important. Thanks again.
Old 23-05-2016, 12:29   #25

i think an impact would cause more damage than crazing,more than likely the straps as u say,causing the weakest to give-being the gel coat..also known as stress lines in fibreglass terms and usually the damage is found in the outer-coats...the cracks would need to be sealed or they can take water overtime.
mikeyboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 14:33   #26

Some boats flex a lot. It's just hard to say without knowing/seeing more. I have seen a brand new sailboat with a huge crack in it when it was delivered to the dealer. The Gel must have had too much catalyst in it. It was built by one of the yards with a very high reputation also.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 14:33   #27

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Most of the crazing I've seen has been in the vicinity of genoa tracks, and some of it, where the gelcoat makes sharp turns. You can learn to repair your own, and to match the colors.

I have never seen gelcoat crazing in topsides, never 3 feet long, and I think there must be an underlying problem. I have seen lightly built hulls flex from the jack stands, never from being in the slings of the travel lift.

I see that Classic Boats is fairly new to CF, so he may be unaware there is background information available from some of the posters with experience here. We have a few boat wrights here, and they will be able to assess from the pictures CB will supply, better than I can.

Ann
Old 24-05-2016, 04:51   #28

Having slept on it again have decided the prudent thing is to walk away. This will be my last boat and it has to be the best in class, this was except for the crazing. Am thinking that it was from the straps and the fracture on one side is creeping, but not on the other. I don't want the trouble of trying to set it right and not knowing for sure. Glad I asked the forum, thanks again.