Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2016, 03:39   #1

Gel Coat Crazing

Am looking at a boat to possibly purchase and it has gel coat crazing on port and starboard where the travel lift straps would have held the boat. There are about a half dozen craze lines about 3 ft long over a width of about 6 inches. The boat is a 1984. Is this a major concern and can or should it be corrected? Thanks for any insight.
Classicsailboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 06:03   #2

Boat: islandpacket
Re: GEL COAT CRAZING

You should list the brand name of the boat, for others with experience with them to respond.
Old 22-05-2016, 06:27   #3

There are lots of these around , and this is the first I've encountered, so feel strongly it is not a problem with the design but how the boat was handled. There is no internal structural issue that is obvious. Other designs must have this issue at some point, just wanting to know if there is a fix. It is an eyesore up close, will it get worse ?
Old 22-05-2016, 06:43   #4

Crazing reveals either a mechanical impact or a flaw in the underlying structure.

Some will say that all boats have such cracks.

You get to choose whether it is acceptable!
paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 06:46   #5

Boat: Able 50

It is unlikely to be crazing but more likely to be the result of the skin of the hull bending beneath the straps during haulout. Boats like that need to be strapped around a frame. This is a common thing with race boats which don't have too many frames and are built to the least weight possible.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 06:47   #6

I don't have to accept it if there is a fix, preferably simple.
Old 22-05-2016, 07:03   #7

There is no fix. The gelcoat has fractured during haulout. Double strapping next time might help to stop it getting worse.
Old 22-05-2016, 07:08   #8

It's only on the bow end so guess I could camouflage it , maybe with a boat name or decal ?
Old 22-05-2016, 07:42   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Crazing may also appear around where the supports were (mis-) placed when the boat spent time on the hard. This may coincide with approximately where the belts fall. Many boats do not take being supported on the softs too good, they should be supported at where the bulkheads are.

At times gelcoat damage is operator's fault, at other times it is just a sign that the boat is flexible because of how she was built/age and or structural issues (e.g. core delamination in sandwich structures).

Each case is different and may tell a different story asking for a different attitude from the potential buyer.

Boat make? Pictures?

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 16:18   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I am surprised at the length of the crazing. 3 ft. long, continuous? I suspect there is underlying problem there. I have seen crazes, but rarely over 1 ft, and often shorter.

Putting a 3 ft long decal over it is a bit like using bandaids for shrapnel wounds.

Really, if you're going sailing, you'll be subjecting yourself and whoever you take with you to a risk. Check out the underlying structural difficulties. And if this is a common brand of boat, learning whether the sisterships suffer a similar problem, and how the problem was fixed, if possible, and at what cost, would be quite useful.

Ann
Old 22-05-2016, 16:32   #11

One side is only about the width of a belt which seems like it could happen, but the other side is much longer, there could be something going on or maybe just a foul up in moving the boat caused the strap to slip, will never know. Don't think it is anything else because it is where the straps would be placed.
Regarding the cure, I thought I was rather clever in thinking of a bandaid, have seen many large names and decals on boats, would look better than what is there, I think.
Thanks all for your comments.
Old 23-05-2016, 04:28   #12

So having slept on it, the solution I've come up with is to camo the crazing with a rainbow from the water line to the hull/deck line, about 3 ft in width. The new name will be "RAINBOW". What do you think ?
Old 23-05-2016, 04:45   #13

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

How about a giant bandaid decal? 😜

If you really think there is no underlying issue, couldn't you have the gelcoat touched up in that area by a professional next time the boat is pulled?
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 05:04   #14

Yes could get it repaired but that is very expensive and could look worse if color not matched perfectly, have had small dings repaired in the past with mixed results. I can do the paint job myself.
Don't own the boat yet and am hoping survey will confirm my assumption, if there is any question about hull integrity then I will have to ponder my next move.
Old 23-05-2016, 10:16   #15

I sure hope that what you want to cover isn't fractured fiberglass, as distinct from fractured gel coat.