Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2024, 14:31   #1

Drilling Holes in Gelcoat

Need to drill a couple larger 1 1/8" holes in gelcoat over RFP (no core just solid glass) regardless I have historically struggled to drill clean holes through gelcoat (of any size) without splintering/chipping the edges of the gelcoat surrounding the hole.

Any thoughts or advice on tools, bits, technique, etc.- Thanks!!!!
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2024, 14:37   #2

Re: Drilling Holes in Gelcoat

For that size I would use a hole saw. If you have to sand up to 1-1/8" from a smaller hole saw, use a 1" diameter drum sander in a drill that will avoid chipping even more. If you have the right size hole saw tape it off with masking tape to avoid chipping.
Any drilling over maybe 1/4" without chipping is better done by putting masking tape where you intend to drill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51hNa1zbAJL._SX466_.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	287982  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2024, 14:37   #3

Boat: S&S Catalina 38

Gel coat is very soft, if you start the hole with the drill in reverse you will minimize chipping and tear out. You don’t need much, I try to get about 1/8 “. Then you can drill the rest of the hole without worry.
tsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2024, 14:51   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsell View Post
Gel coat is very soft, if you start the hole with the drill in reverse you will minimize chipping and tear out. You don’t need much, I try to get about 1/8 “. Then you can drill the rest of the hole without worry.
Just learned so much from your reply starting with the use of "tear out". the rest of your advice also makes perfect sense as does the earlier post suggesting tape and sanding.

To be clear I abhor drilling holes in my boat but if I must I want them better than my past attempts - thanks.
Old 23-03-2024, 14:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
For that size I would use a hole saw. If you have to sand up to 1-1/8" from a smaller hole saw, use a 1" diameter drum sander in a drill that will avoid chipping even more. If you have the right size hole saw tape it off with masking tape to avoid chipping.
Any drilling over maybe 1/4" without chipping is better done by putting masking tape where you intend to drill.
I have a nice dremel tool with sanding head as suggested - thanks!

Tags
gelcoat