Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2017, 08:42   #1

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft
Compounding & waxing didn't help...

Ok folks, here's the scoop!

As some of you know, I just had Rocinante pulled to repair a leaking thru-hull and figured that since I had paid to haul, I might as well make the most of it and have her prettied up as well!

I replaced the zincs, reattached the boot on the saildrive and I also had Rocinante "professionally" compounded and waxed.... while, in general, she looks great, I was not pleased with the results at the waterline.

Specifically, the dark blue still has a white "haze" in areas.

The fellow that did the work said it will not come off and that I would have to have the lines re-painted. Since I'm not sure what causes it, I'm not buying it... just yet. If the entire stripe was faded, I'd say ok, but not knowing any better, it still looks to me like it's "something" on the surface of the paint that should come off.

Does anyone have first hand experience with this?
Any thoughts on what I should try or is it in fact the paint that needs to be redone.

As always, Thank you!
Old 10-09-2017, 09:47   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Compounding & waxing didn't help...

I'm pretty sure that your boot stripe is not paint, it's applied vinyl. It's wearing through the pigment on the surface. Polishing will usually clean dirt and stains off vinyl but at the expense of making it both more porous as well as faded.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:54   #3

If it's vinyl, that's the problem. If paint, yes that should have come off. Be aware that some yards call "compounding and polishing" simply buffing with 3M Finesse It, wax, or etc. Compounding is a lot more work.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:56   #4

If it's vinyl, replace it. If paint, need to polish it carefully, by hand, in line with the stripe or you smear blue on the white and it's hard to remove. Try a small area with a polishing compound. Have had to do mine too. Easier on the hard....
Good luck.
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:12   #5

Boat: Nordship 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I'm pretty sure that your boot stripe is not paint, it's applied vinyl. It's wearing through the pigment on the surface. Polishing will usually clean dirt and stains off vinyl but at the expense of making it both more porous as well as faded.
Isn't vinyl coloured all the way through?
I have never seen vinyl with pigment just on the "surface" ?
SaylorMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:35   #6

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

Thanks folks - can't believe that I don't know if my stripe is vinyl or paint, but will certainly find out... simply assumed it was paint and never checked.

Assuming it's paint, I'll try to do a small area myself as Flyingriki suggested and see what happens.

Thanks again for the input!
Old 11-09-2017, 09:35   #7

If gelcoat it may be faded through I have recently sanded and painted.
Easy looks fabulous. Also, I have done this on another boat years ago and
lasted well. Need at least 2-3 coats.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:46   #8

Boat: Catalina 375

While on the subject I will ask a similar question. When going down the St Lawrence River this summer, I apparently went thru raw sewage in Montréal. Apparently from Ottawa where sewage systems overflowed during flooding in the spring. I now have a brown stain on the gelcoat of the bow. What will remove it? Compound? It does not change with pressure wash and scrubbing with soap.
Thanks
s/v Ardbeg
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:11   #9

Probably a stain from decaying logs. Same as in the yellow smile from the
Intracoastal Waterway.
Use "Phospho" stain & rust remover Wipe on gone. Carefull.
Like magic. It is a diluted phosphoric acid.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:21   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Doubt it was sewage but chemical or petroleum pollution that caused the staining. Might try oxalic acid or other fiberglass cleaners/bleaches. Failing that, compounding and polishing the area may clear it up. Be careful with compounding as that is actually removing Gelcoat and too vigorous work with the buffer could burn through.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:32   #11

Boat: Catalina 375

Thanks for advice. I assumed sewage as one could see the same floating in the water. We had 100 year floods this spring. I do not think there has been pulp and paper operations for 20 years so I do not think it is wood stain! One can see the dividing line on Lake St Louis between the clean water and from Lake Ontario and the filth from the Ottawa R. I do not think it could be heavy industry although it could be from farming operations. Obviously there is a joke here as all this comes from the politicians in Ottawa however I still have to get it cleaned.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 16:08   #12
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRocinante View Post
Ok folks, here's the scoop!

As some of you know, I just had Rocinante pulled to repair a leaking thru-hull and figured that since I had paid to haul, I might as well make the most of it and have her prettied up as well!

I replaced the zincs, reattached the boot on the saildrive and I also had Rocinante "professionally" compounded and waxed.... while, in general, she looks great, I was not pleased with the results at the waterline.

Specifically, the dark blue still has a white "haze" in areas.

The fellow that did the work said it will not come off and that I would have to have the lines re-painted. Since I'm not sure what causes it, I'm not buying it... just yet. If the entire stripe was faded, I'd say ok, but not knowing any better, it still looks to me like it's "something" on the surface of the paint that should come off.

Does anyone have first hand experience with this?
Any thoughts on what I should try or is it in fact the paint that needs to be redone.

As always, Thank you!
Depends what it is.

If paint, it should compound, polish, and wax real nice.

If vinyl, a machine will burn it up if not careful, but at low speed, compound polish and wax should work fine.

If gelcoat, dark colours are tough. If it was heavily faded/oxidized it can take a fairly aggressive wet sand (perhaps even 2 passes), compound, polish, and wax.

Beware who you call a "pro". One poorly qualified who accepts pay for work is a "schmo" not a "pro".

What were their qualifications?

(No I'm not kidding.) We get several calls a year to repair gelcoat wrecked by "Schmos".

Some of our best customers are those whose boats we have fixed from "concrete like" residues, to swirls, to burns, to excessive gelcoat removal,
to just all around poor results.

I actually saw a boat after a guy paid to have it "deep cleaned". WTF is that? They ran a machine over it with something. Didn't even wash it first. All kinds of swirls ground into the gelcoat from pad contamination. Just a disaster.

Always ask to see qualifications and insurance from anyone you hire to work on your boat. Even at a well known yard; ask who will actually be performing the work, what their qualifications are, and if none, or limited, who is the senior tech over seeing and final approving the job.

Ask them to include the process and materials they will be using in the itemized written work order. Ask what results are to be expected, how long it will retain what level of gloss and what ongoing maintenance will be required how frequently.

I'm serious. Schmo gelcoat damage can cost several thousand to repair. Sometime the only solution is to re gelcoat or paint, that can be tens of thousands.

Lastly, a "pro" will use the least aggressive method and materials to achieve spectacular results. It will be costly because it takes longer, but it will look nicer, longer, and will increase the life expectancy of the gelcoat overall.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 18:21   #13

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

The stripes may be gelcoat done in the mold with the finish coat. My experience with faded colored gelcoat is - give up and have it painted in Awlgrip. I spent two years trying to get my dark gelcoat hull looking good without success.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 20:43   #14
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Guess based on experience-somebody painted the boot stripe with single part paint.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 20:57   #15

Boat: Tartan 37

That's the work of a term I use, YAMBY
Young
American
Motherwhater
Building
Yachts

That dam Yamby screwed that up.

My bet it's a vinyl tape, just use a quality vinyl cleaner. Like 3M marine vinyl cleaner or wet-n-forget.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote