Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-05-2014, 12:50   #16

Re: chainplates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
I am replacing my glassed in chainplates now and putting the new ones outboard. After removing the old bits, I epoxied a 4" wide strip of 1/2" G10 on the inside for a backing plate. I did have to notch out the rub rail on the outside to accommodate the new plates. I've seen people put the plates under the rub rail, but that seemed to be more work then it is worth. I didn't see any issue with the old 1/4" thick chainplates, although I am replacing them with 3/8" thick. The chainplate bolts were another matter...
How did you go about removing the "old bits"? What is involved in exposing the glassed in bolts? Are you cutting or grinding or both?
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote