Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2015, 09:46   #16

Boat: Offshore 33 cat ketch
Re: Boat name painting or decal

Boat US has a nice design app where you can design your own. Used it twice and the product was exactly to my liking and easy to apply. Also made matching registration numbers....looks very professional. I'd attach a photo, but this app flips the photo upside down....haven't figured out why it does that...very frustrating!
mserafi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:58   #17

Boat: Tartan30

Good lettering enamel should last 5-7 years if you keep it waxed.
After 20+ years of Sign Painting and specialiZing in lettering all sorts of boats both in and out of the water I have plenty of thoughts about all this
1. There ARE still Sign Painters out there, but we are a vanishing breed, and hard to find.
2. Paint WILL last if applied correctly, waxed now and then. just think of how many posts you have seen about people having a hard time getting the lettering off....lol
3. If you change boats often, or scratch your boat often, then maybe decals are the best choice. If you plan on keeping the boat then removing the name will not be an issue.
So here is the trade off.
Vinyl lettering is charges usually by the inch of letter height....so 8" letter at $1 an inch =$8.00. If you have a long name or a really big boat that can add up.....PLUS most Sign Shops have a minimum charge of some kind.
That is for ONE color letter. If you want extra details like an outline on the letters, or a drop shadow to make it look classier the double the cost. If you want drop shadow AND an outline then Triple the cost.
If I paint it, I can keep the costs on the extras down because I am not cutting and throwing away all that excess and very expensive vinyl.
Applying decals to a compound curve can be a challenge and these days most are done wrong. Painting it is compensated for during the layout process.
Sooooo if you want a plain one color boring look, then go for the decal. If you want something really nice, that stands out from the rest, and involves some real old time Craftsmanship, along with all the free stories you can stand the take the time to find the local Old Sign Painter, feed him some coffee to sober him up, and let him/or her work their magic.
You did not say where your home port is, but if you come near the Pamlico Sound area of NC look me up.
By the way.....nothing gets attention in a Marina like a Sign Painter working of a project......except maybe a pretty girl, or free beer, and eventually they will end up over watching the Sign Painter....lol
scottydaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:01   #18

Boat: Tartan30

Good lettering enamel should last 5-7 years if you keep it waxed.
After 20+ years of Sign Painting and specialiZing in lettering all sorts of boats both in and out of the water I have plenty of thoughts about all this
1. There ARE still Sign Painters out there, but we are a vanishing breed, and hard to find.
2. Paint WILL last if applied correctly, waxed now and then. just think of how many posts you have seen about people having a hard time getting the lettering off....lol
3. If you change boats often, or scratch your boat often, then maybe decals are the best choice. If you plan on keeping the boat then removing the name will not be an issue.
So here is the trade off.
Vinyl lettering is charges usually by the inch of letter height....so 8" letter at $1 an inch =$8.00. If you have a long name or a really big boat that can add up.....PLUS most Sign Shops have a minimum charge of some kind.
That is for ONE color letter. If you want extra details like an outline on the letters, or a drop shadow to make it look classier the double the cost. If you want drop shadow AND an outline then Triple the cost.
If I paint it, I can keep the costs on the extras down because I am not cutting and throwing away all that excess and very expensive vinyl.
Applying decals to a compound curve can be a challenge and these days most are done wrong. Painting it is compensated for during the layout process.
Sooooo if you want a plain one color boring look, then go for the decal. If you want something really nice, that stands out from the rest, and involves some real old time Craftsmanship, along with all the free stories you can stand the take the time to find the local Old Sign Painter, feed him some coffee to sober him up, and let him/or her work their magic.
You did not say where your home port is, but if you come near the Pamlico Sound area of NC look me up.
By the way.....nothing gets attention in a Marina like a Sign Painter working of a project......except maybe a pretty girl, or free beer, and eventually they will end up over watching the Sign Painter....lol
scottydaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:50   #19

Boat: Tahitiana 32

Here is how we do it in Detroit on our steel Tahitiana... Go to the dumpster and get a big piece of cardboard. Cut out the design (should be able to do this in 1-2 beers). Tape the cardboard "stencil" to the boat. Spray it on with a can of Rustoleum. Go sailing.

georgelieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:19   #20

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Most sign shops can make you quality lettering with lots of options for colour, size, and logos. I went to a small, local shop, and they did great work. Installation was easy and pleasant. Fortunately, the old name was vinyl letters as well, which came off easily and cleanly.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:23   #21

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelieber View Post
Here is how we do it in Detroit on our steel Tahitiana... Go to the dumpster and get a big piece of cardboard. Cut out the design (should be able to do this in 1-2 beers). Tape the cardboard "stencil" to the boat. Spray it on with a can of Rustoleum. Go sailing.
2 beers? It took me 3 to peel and stick my Vinyl letters... might explain the slope.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:39   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
That stuff holds up to ag chemicals? Wow.
No it was the first GE powered ag plane, it was an experimental prototype, we painted the airplane just pure white with the idea that you can do things with Vinyl that would tax a very talented painter, plus you could change it later if you wanted.
It would not hold up on an airplane long time I don't think, but I've seen pictures of a Cessna Caravan that fast signs wrapped that looked like a waving American flag. I doubt a painter could have done that, but a computer and a printer? Easy.

GE's H80 Engine Makes its First Flight on the Thrush 510G Aircraft | Press Release | GE Aviation
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:06   #23

Boat: Shannon 43 ketch

Boat U.S. is the way to go!
YellowcakeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 13:18   #24

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

I just bought 3" tall numbers & letters for both my sailboat & dinghy , vinyl Green for the sailboat and Blue for the dinghy $2.50 ea set of two sides . Yep 5 bucks for both sets , both sides ! Plus $4.99 shipping $9.99 total .
ebay is the place ( 1060 graphics ) is the name of the seller . It shows they also do graphics of all kinds just send them your specks , ant font , any color , custom lettering & decals . And no i do not have anything to do with this company just very happy with the price i got.
The letters and numbers came with a spaced backing and clear pull off cover to just put the whole piece up and peel away the back , w/ directions .
sailersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 13:37   #25

I made ours up in Word or Word Draw or Paint on the computer, unusual shape and shadowed lettering. Took the file to a local plastics shop, TAP Plastics, they did it right away. Put it on in 1998, still there, looks great.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 13:54   #26

Boat: Endeavour 42 CC Katash

I used Island Boat Lettering in Wantagh, NY, 800/735-8526, www.islandboatlettering.com, and they were very good, using the best UV vinyl and easy to install.
pwmullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 14:23   #27

Boat: Carver 325 Aft Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktara View Post
i did the decal from Boat US last year and it is perfect. was easy to apply as well

Same here. Easy to apply and looks good after 2 1/2 years.
damaib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 15:47   #28

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

OMG..

with 60EUR I got name and home harbour laser-cut into solid 316 SS 3mms thick (1/8") with my font of choice....

I hate plastic things. Please do either :-)

VIHUNA - SOUTHAMPTON

100EUR for a rounded logo 80cm (2' 6") diam.
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 16:01   #29

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
OMG..

with 60EUR I got name and home harbour laser-cut into solid 316 SS 3mms thick (1/8") with my font of choice....

I hate plastic things. Please do either :-)

VIHUNA - SOUTHAMPTON

100EUR for a rounded logo 80cm (2' 6") diam.
So did you use that as a stencil to spray paint the letters?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 16:55   #30

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

If you use decal paint over with U/V resistant clear
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, paint