Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2009, 04:42   #1

Boat: Easy Catamaran 11.6m
Antifoul While in the Water?

We recently had our catamaran antifouled but the marina was unable to get to a few spots under the keels where the yacht was standing on wooden blocks. We are now back on the water with no antifoul on these places under the keel.

Does anyone know of a way to protect these small areas from fouling while the yacht is in the water? The guy at the marina suggested diving under and smearing some greasy substance (such as lanolin) under there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jo
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 04:52   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
Worth a try

Next time give a small pot of the A/F and a brush to the team putting the boat back into the water so that they can hit those spots when the boat is lifted. This is normal procedure.
Old 14-09-2009, 18:07   #3

It would have been ideal if we could do this, but we weren't actually lifted with a sling or anything. The marina sent a diver underwater to chock the yacht with the wooden blocks under the keels and then it was raised out of the water on a flat lifting platform. It remained sitting on these blocks until it was lowered back into the water.

I guess they would do it differently for a monohull? I'm not too experienced with this sort of thing as this is our first yacht and our first antifoul... I guess we'll learn as we go along. Maybe some little spot is always missed on a catamaran and you just get it next time? I'm not sure.

Jo
Old 14-09-2009, 19:32   #4

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
Never get a bottom job done there again. They should have either placed another stand next to the ones there while being initially painted and removed those and painted the areas where the first stands were. The other accepted method would be to put the boat in the slings late in the afternoon, paint the areas where the stands were and splash the boat the following morning. I can't believe they put the boat back in the water without painting those spots! Lifting platform or not they should have lifted or moved the blocks a little to paint those areas.
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 20:20   #5

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
I have to fully agree with Martinini
Old 14-09-2009, 20:42   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
It sounds like your boat was put in a cradle while in the water and then returned to the water while still in the same cradle. Big No, No for doing a bottom job. Use such a system only if the cradle is provided with a means for releasing one side brace at a time while on the hard or repositioning the side supports to allow access to areas not done. Same with the keel blocks, they should be moveable to allow access to the under keel area. Although the under keel area is less of a fouling problem since most sailor use the normal barnacle build up removal process of dragging keel across a reef or sand bar while underway. That does a good job of removing any growth on the bottom of the keel.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 20:44   #7
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I agree too. Demand they properly antifoul your boat or give partial refund. These people do not care about boats nor about you and should be avoided. Shame on them.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 22:42   #8

Thanks for all this advice. I guess it really is a steep learning curve! It still leaves us with the problem of having some missed spots under the keel unfortunately. We can't take the yacht back to them any time soon as I am due to have a baby and we also have a 3yr old. Makes things difficult. Sounds like my husband might be going for some extra swims to keep it clean....

Jo
Old 14-09-2009, 23:53   #9

Boat: boat less ATM
find a sand bank & some tyres

My only suggestion is beaching and sitting down on four strategically placed car tyres so that the unantifouled areas can be accessed. It will mean sliding around on your back, so I would go for a sandbank rather than a mud bank. And REMEMBER leave your body parts under the hull for as short a time as possible. Count all limbs after the job is finished. You may need to give it a couple of coats over two cycles of tide.

When Pelican has been cradled out, the yard always moved the supports so we reach ALL the hull.

BTW Mackay has a 4 - 6 metre tidal range. GO NORTH
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 05:31   #10

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
I would be careful where you do this touch up as the EPA might get you for breaking the law!! Check to see if there are any approved places to do the antifouling on the beach.As SVstrider advised there are places in Nth Qld (Shute habour had an area) where you could do this but I do not know about your area . I would be seeing the people & have them redo the job. You should not have to be touching the bottom for at least 12mths.
Regards
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 05:49   #11

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Sounds like you came out of the water on a railway but even with slings there are sometimes problems. Typical is they pick it up just before lunch, then launch right after. In the mean time to put some paint on the areas where the blocks were. That leaves minimal time for the paint to dry. Not optimum.

What I have done, is place new blocks near the normal one, then lift that corner with a small hydraulic jack. Clean and paint one spot. Then lower back onto the original blocks and move to another corner.

Of course, I am doing my own bottom and am usually in the yard for several days taking care of a list of maintenance items.

Some super wide cats have a hard time finding a lift that can take their beam, but at 39' you should be able to find a yard and not have to use a railway.

All of this from a Yank that has no idea what services are available in your area.

Good luck.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote