Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2019, 18:45   #16

Re: Yanmar 3HM35F sitting in water for 2 years?

I would also be optimistic that the engine will be fine. Especially from that era, Yanmar's are hard to kill.

Your Yanmar mechanic will know how to get it started. You can be sure he's seen far worse. I also doubt he's interested in what a bunch of yahoos on the Internet think he should do

As others have said, once you own the boat, ask him what should be done. Unless you have written maintenance records from the PO, assume things haven't been changed for MORE than 2 years. He'll probably recommend replacing oil, impeller, coolant, diesel, belts, hoses, and filters.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 19:59   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
The OP is thinking of buying the boat - he doesn't own it yet.

How many of the above posters would pull the injectors, change the oils, supply clean fuel etc etc before purchase?

How many owners would be happy to let a prospective buyer service the engine during an inspection?
I would.

I wouldn't buy a boat without running the engine.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:41   #18

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
I would.

I wouldn't buy a boat without running the engine.

You would pull injectors, change fluids, etc.....on a boat that isn’t yours?

I’ve seen the level of ineptitude alive and well in this world, not to mention lack of follow through. If I was selling my boat there’s no way I’d let someone go through all that without a deposit to specifically cover the what if’s of the work.

You want to pull injectors? The deposit will be cost of injectors plus the labor involved in pulling the head to remove the broken injector stud and or other small piece dropped into the combustion chamber.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:17   #19

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Can’t service the engine prior to ownership but I would Make it a priority to have seller start engine while your mechanic is there. Reasonable request if he is looking to sell the boat. And if not discount your offer by the cost of re-power.

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:32   #20

Boat: Cal 33-2

Since the current owners walked away from the boat for a couple of years, they will probably appreciate a potential buyer having a mechanic checking the engine out. Just get their permission before taking anything apart.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:00   #21

Sailmonkey, are you calling me inept? That seems to be an insult which is uncalled for. I find that those who are untrustworthy are unable to trust. What I suggested wasn't complicated, unusual or risky.

If I was really interested in a boat which was essentially abandoned by the owner, who isn't likely to spend any time preparing it for sale, I would discuss my plan with the owner with the caveat that my offer would reflect the condition of the motor. If I can't run it, my offer would be less the cost of a repower.

On the other hand, it is in his and my best interest to allow me to change the oil (for my benefit) and pull the injectors, oil the cylinders, do a compression test (for his financial benefit) prior to starting the engine. $20 in oil and an hour of my time before purchase is a minimal investment considering the consequences if I don't do it and then follow through on the purchase.

I wouldn't be doing this if I was just "kicking tires" and not serious about the purchase.
If the boat met all my other parameters and only the engine was the big question, why wouldn't you check it out.

Personally I don't find the diesel engine to be much of a mystery. Depending on the style of injector they are held into the hole with either one or two bolts. What is to break? You need the injectors out to do a compression check which any mechanic worth his salt will do for you during an engine evaluation, so those injectors are coming out one way or the other.

If I change the oil and don't buy the boat, what does the owner have to cry about?

The owner would probably be willing to just turn it over without adding anything to the cylinder or even checking the oil level. What does he care? If the cylinders are scored from a dry start, the problem will not be his when the boat title is signed over. Again, if I was interested in the boat, why not take the extra step in the event that the motor becomes something that I am living with down the road? I've checked it, prepared it for starting and left it in better condition than I found it. Where's the risk?

If the compression checks out and I've changed the oil, I still have the option of having the oil tested for metals to give me an indication of the condition of the rest of the engine. That my friend is how you minimize risk when buying something with a motor.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:03   #22

Boat: C&C 41

We have of course put down a 10pct deposit. Also I should add the price has been heavily discounted to reflect anticipated problems
joycemango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:26   #23

Quote:
Sailmonkey, are you calling me inept? That seems to be an insult which is uncalled for. I find that those who are untrustworthy are unable to trust. What I suggested wasn't complicated, unusual or risky.

If I was really interested in a boat which was essentially abandoned by the owner, who isn't likely to spend any time preparing it for sale, I would discuss my plan with the owner with the caveat that my offer would reflect the condition of the motor. If I can't run it, my offer would be less the cost of a repower.

On the other hand, it is in his and my best interest to allow me to change the oil (for my benefit) and pull the injectors, oil the cylinders, do a compression test (for his financial benefit) prior to starting the engine. $20 in oil and an hour of my time before purchase is a minimal investment considering the consequences if I don't do it and then follow through on the purchase.

I wouldn't be doing this if I was just "kicking tires" and not serious about the purchase.
If the boat met all my other parameters and only the engine was the big question, why wouldn't you check it out.

Personally I don't find the diesel engine to be much of a mystery. Depending on the style of injector they are held into the hole with either one or two bolts. What is to break? You need the injectors out to do a compression check which any mechanic worth his salt will do for you during an engine evaluation, so those injectors are coming out one way or the other.

If I change the oil and don't buy the boat, what does the owner have to cry about?

The owner would probably be willing to just turn it over without adding anything to the cylinder or even checking the oil level. What does he care? If the cylinders are scored from a dry start, the problem will not be his when the boat title is signed over. Again, if I was interested in the boat, why not take the extra step in the event that the motor becomes something that I am living with down the road? I've checked it, prepared it for starting and left it in better condition than I found it. Where's the risk?

If the compression checks out and I've changed the oil, I still have the option of having the oil tested for metals to give me an indication of the condition of the rest of the engine. That my friend is how you minimize risk when buying something with a motor.

I’m not calling you specifically inept. I’m calling a large portion of the population inept and not conscientious.

If a bonded/insured mechanic is tasked with removing the injectors or changing the oil, that’s one thing.

If a private purchaser wants to do the same, that’s another. What recourse is there if a private purchaser just barely tightens the injectors, there is a small amount of leakage that is no big deal in the short term but either sticks the injector with soot, or washes out the sealing surface long term? What happens if the oil filter comes un screwed because it wasn’t tightened properly?
Old 05-09-2019, 11:48   #24

Boat: Morgan 323

What happened with the Dufour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joycemango View Post
Hi -
We are looking at buying a 1986 C&C 41 for a great bargain because (sadly) owner became ill and had to "drop everything." As a result, the Yanmar engine - a 1985 3HM35F with only 1500 hours on the meter - has been sitting unprotected at the mooring in a Massachusetts marina for about 2 years. Our broker who is also an amateur surveyor (ha ha) went over the deck with moisture meter and shockingly there is only one small wet spot, also visual inspection of engine did not reveal much, the propeller shaft had white precipitate on it, band the bilge needed pumping. The mildew is fixable.

We are getting a Yanmar mechanic out in a few days to look it over.
Wondered though if anyone had thoughts regarding likelihood of the engine having survived or whether we should not trust it even if it appears OK?

What replacement engines would people suggest ... USED, and we are on tight budget? We really want to keep boat, I don't know how much we'd be looking at for engine installation - I think we could afford a used engine but not sure about the installation.

THANKS!
GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:10   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
If a private purchaser wants to do the same, that’s another. What recourse is there if a private purchaser just barely tightens the injectors, there is a small amount of leakage that is no big deal in the short term but either sticks the injector with soot, or washes out the sealing surface long term? What happens if the oil filter comes un screwed because it wasn’t tightened properly?
That is a lot of what-if's. I guess I'm more risk tolerant when it comes to taking a chance on people, but then again, I often check the licensed mechanics work after they leave to make sure they put all the fasteners back and tightened them up. I don't know what that says about me.

... sort of a trust but verify philosophy
Old 05-09-2019, 16:28   #26

Quote:
That is a lot of what-if's. I guess I'm more risk tolerant when it comes to taking a chance on people, but then again, I often check the licensed mechanics work after they leave to make sure they put all the fasteners back and tightened them up. I don't know what that says about me.

... sort of a trust but verify philosophy

I don’t hire work out on my boat, but I also see the work that friends of mine with boats manage to screw up while performing simple tasks.
Old 08-09-2019, 22:18   #27

Boat: C&C 41

Well the mechanic took a look for about 20 minutes - and (drum roll) IT STARTED! Turns out it had been winterized. I wasn't there in person, so can't give you more details (yet), and the full service, sea trial and survey are coming up Sept 9-10, but so far it is looking very good. Score one for Yanmar ...
joycemango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 22:47   #28
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Thanks for the update and hope all goes well with sea-trial etc.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, yanmar