Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2022, 03:47   #1

Volvo penta 2002 fuel starvation

Hello,
I have just finished a complete overhaul at my engine and tried to run.
Engine started running after bleeding the air out of the system but stopped after a while. I tried to bleed the air out once again in case some air was left in the system and run the engine once again with the same result. It looked to me as a fuel starvation issue and I opened the fuel filter to see if that was the case. The fuel filter was half filled with diesel fuel. During the overhaul I removed all the banjo bolts and fittings, when re assemble them I noticed that one of the had an orifice from the inside and my thought was that it should be positioned at the injector pump #2 out port that the return line to the tank is connected. I'm not sure if I was right with this so any help would be appreciated.

Lucas
lucasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 18:07   #2

Boat: Tartan 372
Re: Volvo penta 2002 fuel starvation

Reduced orifice banjo would be for the return to tank.
Old 31-03-2022, 07:58   #3

Boat: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasb View Post
I tried to bleed the air out once again in case some air was left in the system and run the engine once again with the same result. It looked to me as a fuel starvation issue and I opened the fuel filter to see if that was the case. The fuel filter was half filled with diesel fuel.
Sounds like you are pulling air into the fuel system.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:01   #4

Thanks Tcubed66, I also suspected that this was the right position for it.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:07   #5

FPNC,
Until engine stops from starvation it is working like a "digital clock" , to be honest I suspect the lift pump. As I wrote , when engine stops I find the fuel filter half filled.
From the other hand I have to take your opinion seriously. It make sense as well. For the time been I expect a new lift pump to arrive next week (I hope) and start from there.One step at the time.
Thanks for your support.
Lucas
Old 11-04-2022, 09:15   #6

Hello everyone,
Problem solved. It was the lift pump as I suspected. I replaced it with an electric one due to lack of a mechanical one. Everything works fine in a run test I did for 1 1/2 hours except the fact that the engine needs around 5 sec. to shut down. I suspect that I need a switch for the pump and switch the pump off before pulling the switch off rod.
Thanks for your feedback and help.
Lucas
Old 11-04-2022, 09:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasb View Post
Hello everyone,
Problem solved. It was the lift pump as I suspected. I replaced it with an electric one due to lack of a mechanical one. Everything works fine in a run test I did for 1 1/2 hours except the fact that the engine needs around 5 sec. to shut down. I suspect that I need a switch for the pump and switch the pump off before pulling the switch off rod.
Thanks for your feedback and help.
Lucas
Hmmmm, you shouldn't need that. The pump should not be able to force fuel into the injectors on it's own.... much less at high enough pressure to work.

Along the way.... did you ever check your tanks vents for being clogged?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:25   #8

Dear Cheechako,
Max press for the e-pump is 11psi (0.9 bar), this pressure cannot open the injectors. The engine is on the bench, fuel supply is from a can 40cm higher than the engine.
Lucas

Tags
fuel, penta, volvo