Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2021, 08:41   #1

Boat: Najad 320
Volvo Penta 2003 problem after injection pumps replacement

I have a problem with my Penta 2003.
First of all - sorry for my English - I could translate some technical names not correctly ...
Generally even engine is old, it is in good condition, worked ok. But lately more and more white smoke appeared, I decided to regenerate it a little.

What was dome:
- I removed all 3 injectors and injection pumps
- They were regenerated by bosh service. They said pumps were stucked and worked only on 30%
- I mounted everything back, checking very carefully if injection pump's levers (control sleeve) jumped into control rod, used same thinness shims, every pump goes to same place (what should not be important when pumps are regenerated)
- When run the engine it went maximum high and couldn't stop it (I closed air supply and disconnected fuel to stop it)
- I started to search for help and found this topics and read carefully:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...op-195236.html
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...mp-183937.html
- I thought maybe sth was broken in mechanism during engine high working, so I took off the cover. Everything looks ok, control rod and link rod are not bent.
- I removed pumps, checked again if levers jumped into rod and everything looks ok untill I screw pumps. It looked like mechanism has no power to move pump's levers.
- I checked the pumps - it looks like on 2 of them it is hard to move lever (control sleeve) by finger
- I mounted the cover back and checked if levers and control lines are able to move control rod without mounted pumps. It is possible for throttle (to stop engine) but for accelerate it goes one way and do not move back.

Conclusion:
1. I will give back the pumps to service to make control sleeves operate lightly
2. I am not fully sure if point 1 will be enough - in my opinion even they will work lightly it will be difficult to move control rod with cable/levers. It looks like 22 and 24 springs are very delicate and I am not sure if sth in not broken here. I don't know in which position latch (8) should be when mounting the cover.
3. There is also regulator kit (10) which perhaps should harden the system then engine is running. But I am not sure how to check if everything is ok here ...

Does anyone have some experience with this engine and could help with it? The problem is that I am far away from yacht and will be able to further work on it end of December so I have to be good prepared.

Or maybe you know some penta expert on canary islands who could help?

Regards,
Maja
bosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 03:18   #2

Re: Volvo Penta 2003 problem after injection pumps replacement

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GFbDsX1C51fFBBxG9

+ picture with parts numbers.

Old 16-11-2021, 09:36   #3

Really? Nobody has any idea?
Old 26-03-2022, 04:16   #4

Hi bosman,
Have you resolved the issue ? I recently overhauled completely (to the last bolt) my 2002 engine which actually is the same but 2 cyl. version.
I did not do anything at my inj. pumps as they work fine but I did everything else. Like you removed that bar, refitted the pumps etc. My engine started immediately after bleeding the system without the need of adjusting anything.
In your case it looks that too much fuel is been injected since you can increase or decrease rpm even if they are too high and this can be coming from the injectors opening pressure. The inj. pump spacers are for the timing, if you have white smoke there may be a problem with the timing as well.
Let's start from injectors opening pressure ang go step by step.
Lucas
lucasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 04:04   #5

Hi Lucas,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts

Pumps where back in service. We observed that if you will squeeze pump a little (as it is squeezed when mounted) - control sleeves operate lightly. So it was not a problem. Finally pumps were wrong set (in any position fulek flow was not set to zero so it was impossible to turn engine off with control rod movement.
Looks like everything works fine now except ...:
- we have to change engine mounts
- one element broke during mounting everything (spring - no 8 part number).
But we are on good way to have engine is quite good condition for such old one
Old 11-04-2022, 08:57   #6

Hi bosman,
Glad to hear that everything is in order, sad to hear that spring is broken.
Hope to be able to find (or make) one. I had to replace 2 of my rubber mounts as well. Well done
Lucas
lucasb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, penta, pump, volvo