Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2022, 09:45   #1

Boat: SeaRunner 37, 11.3 metres
U.S.A. gasoline CAUTION 2022-06/09

In April, the White House announced a plan to increase use of homegrown biofuels during the 2022 summer driving season to offset rising fuel prices and fuel supply challenges.
Ethanol is considered a biofuel because it is derived from corn. Most gasoline sold in the U.S. is blended with 10% ethanol, otherwise known as E10 gasoline. E15 gasoline - a fuel mixture containing 15% ethanol - is also sold in some states, but it is much less widely available. During the summer months, E15 gasoline sales are normally prohibited due to Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulations surrounding its potential to increase smog during warmer temperatures.
To align with the President’s plan, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued an emergency fuel waiver on April 29, allowing the sale of E15 gasoline from June 1 to September 15, 2022.
E15 gasoline has appeal to consumers as a transportation fuel due to its slightly lower price and slightly higher octane rating than standard gasoline. However, E15 gasoline’s potential to harm smaller and older engines is not widely understood by the public.
With the arrival of the summer recreation season, and the increased use of marine and outdoor gasoline-powered equipment, the increased availability and use of E15 gasoline raises some safety concerns.
The higher ethanol content can cause engines not designed for E15 to run hotter, damage seals, and cause fuel system leaks, which could increase fire hazards.
The Outdoor Power Equipment Institute (OPEI) conducted a poll in 2020, which found that nearly two in five Americans mistakenly believe that ethanol blends higher than 10% are safe to use for any gasoline-powered lawn equipment or other small engine products, such as motorcycles, boats, snowmobiles, and sport utility vehicles.
Use of ethanol blends higher than E10 in non-approved engines is prohibited by law and will void the warranty. But E15 is not always labeled clearly where it is sold, increasing the risk that consumers will fill their engines with the wrong fuel.
Fire departments should be aware of conditions where use of E15 gasoline could present a fire hazard, and where public education can help to prevent these dangers.
The following are some resources that could be used to increase understanding about the risks:
  • The EPA lists the types of vehicles and engines for which E15 fuel is permitted versus prohibited.
  • The Department of Energy’s (DOE’s) Energy Information Administration (EIA) explains the facts about ethanol as a transportation fuel, including information about the differences between E10, E15, and E85, the most common ethanol blends in use. Photo examples of pump labels are provided.
  • The U.S. Coast Guard, Sector Detroit posted a warning on its Facebook page in response to the EPA waiver on E15 gasoline sales this summer. The post contains a graphic showing how E15 gasoline labeling at the pump can be very misleading. It is often labeled “Unleaded 15”, or by its octane rating, as “Octane 88,” without clear reference to its percentage of ethanol content.
  • OPEI created a public education campaign called Protect Your Power with messaging and infographics to always use E10 gasoline or less in outdoor power and off-road equipment such as sport utility vehicles and boats.
This year’s E15 waiver is not the first. In 2017, a waiver was issued to address fuel shortages caused by Hurricane Harvey. In 2019, EPA formalized its authority to issue waivers allowing year-round sales of E15, although this ruling was reversed in 2021. This year’s emergency waiver was issued due to economic factors and supply-chain issues.
While this year’s waiver is expected to affect only around 2,300 gas stations, a fraction of the roughly 150,000 filling stations in the U.S., it is possible that availability of E15 gasoline will continue to increase in the coming years, due to the EPA’s Renewable Fuel Standard Program. This program requires EPA to mandate continued increases in the volume of renewable fuel mixed with petroleum-based transportation fuels.
Those responsible for fire safety education should stay informed about the latest national and state legislation surrounding E15 gasoline and ensure the public is aware of the fire hazards and other risks when it is used improperly.
(Sources: EPA, U.S. Coast Guard, DOE EIA, OPEI, Reuters)
Old 03-06-2022, 10:07   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: U.S.A. gasoline CAUTION 2022-06/09

Fuel Injection = Problem Solved

Whatever you get, make sure it’s fuel injected and you won’t have any trouble.

That’s been my technique for some years now and it has worked flawlessly.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 10:16   #3

Boat: SeaRunner 37, 11.3 metres

Fuel injectors will not save you from the risk:

"The higher ethanol content can cause engines not designed for E15 to run hotter, damage seals, and cause fuel system leaks, which could increase fire hazards."
Old 03-06-2022, 10:20   #4

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

So how exactly does fuel injection make this ok? Chotu?
Old 03-06-2022, 12:20   #5

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

All of the problems from ethanol happen in the carburetor. An incredibly minuscule proportion happen elsewhere. If you do have some kind of problem from ethanol in your fuel line or whatever, that’s what your fuel filter is for. It keeps any of that crud out that is not certified to go through your system.

Fuel injected everything just works all the time. There is no doubt about it. Just think of what cars used to be like when they had carburetors versus what they were like once fuel injection got put in them. Night and day. Vapor lock? Etc., gone.

Even gasoline with some water in it is no problem for fuel injection. It goes right through.

You guys can disbelieve this all you want, you can argue about it all you want. I’ll just keep on cruising around on my motorcycle, and having my outboards all work without ever needing fuel system work or maintenance. Without having to clean a carb. Without having to pull a starter cord until I’m about to pass out.

You don’t have to listen, but if you do, your life will be easy and carefree like mine now is.

I have four fuel injected small engines now. Three of them are outboards. They run flawlessly at all times on ethanol gas and everything. They start first pull. Or in the case of two of them, the instant you turn the key. Just like a Japanese car. Incidentally those are fuel injected as well.

Make no mistake. Fuel injected engines are the way to get rid of all of your troubles. They just run and run and run.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 19:22   #6

Boat: Atkins Thistle 32 ft

Ethanol in gasoline will dissolve solids which accumulate in fuel tanks, thereby clogging fuel systems. Carburetors, fuel pumps, filters, fuel injectors can all be impacted by this. Ethanol also attracts water. In suspension, it can severely damage injectors and high pressure pumps. As it separates in fuel tanks, microorganisms will grow on the water/fuel interface, resulting in rapid clogging of fuel systems. Partial clogging of carburetors or injectors will result in lean running conditions, causing severe engine damage. These effects are all well proven and documented at the cost of very large expensive marine and truck engines.
In summary, the only real beneficiaries of ethanol in gasoline are the Big Ag corn growers who now have a legally mandated market. Welcome to crony capitalism.
IolantheSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 19:27   #7

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Assuming we are talking about gasoline for marine use, every fuel dock I have been to in the last few years sells only ethanol-free gasoline. Problem solved, unless you buy fuel for your outboard in jerry cans at a gas station or something like that.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 20:11   #8

Boat: Tartan 3800

I used to grow corn. I think ethanol as a fuel is great. I used to buy E85 for a car and a truck I had that were set up for it.

I drive an EV now and don't buy much gasoline. I have a battery chainsaw and a battery lawnmower etc.

I have two gasoline outboard motors and I buy non-ethanol gasoline for them, which is available here. Not everywhere, I get that. Mainly it has a longer shelf life and is less sensitive to handling. E10/E15 run fine in outboards, I've done it, the shelf life is shorter on the fuel because it's hygroscopic, and you have to keep it tightly covered without a vent. I use safety cans for storing gasoline, and they don't have vents. I use gasoline within six months of buying especially in summer since heat and humidity contribute to deterioration. Ethanol or not.
Old 03-06-2022, 21:03   #9

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Lot of info here and differing opinions.

Outboard manufatcurer will not warranty an engine running E15. Gas docks around here sell E10. I have to go to one of a very few places to buy my ethanol free gas.

That grey marine fuel hose that feeds your outboard from the tank (in the USA) has a plastic liner in it and ethanol breaks it down. Some pieces may get into your filter and some may just clog the hose. I've gotten rid of all of those.

Local mechanics here say most of their business is because of Ethanol. Those who hve switched out no longer have engine issues.

YMMV do your homework and talk to local mechanics.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 02:31   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

NEWS from BoatUS [April 18/22]
Quote:
”... BoatUS notes recreational vessels are never compatible with E15 (15% ethanol). It is not permitted by federal law to use E15 fuel in boats (as well as motorcycles, off-road vehicles and power equipment), voids the engine warranty, and it has been proven to cause damage to marine engines. It also causes engines to run hotter* and contains less energy than E10. Recreational vessel engines may only use gasoline containing no more than 10% ethanol (E10) ...”
More ➥ https://www.boatus.com/news-room/rel...ecent-e15-news

“LOOK BEFORE YOU PUMP” ~ National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) and the Outdoor Power Equipment Institute (OPEI) ➥ https://www.nmma.ca/assets/cabinets/...sumer_BOAT.pdf

* The more air is added to the combustion chamber, the hotter the engine runs—which increases nitrogen oxide emissions and quickly leads to engine damage. E10 is 2.5% oxygen; E15 is 5% oxygen. NMMA studies have confirmed serious and well-documented human safety, environmental, and technology concerns associated with E15.

This occurs, regardless of whether a newer engine has ethanol compatible plastic parts (hoses etc).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:48   #11

If we are talking cars read your manual. My 09 Chevy 1500 4x4 has in the warnings page do not use E15. Use of E10 is ok.

My 15 Chevy 2500HD manual said E10 or E15 is ok.

Don't have the manual on the outboard of the boat, the John boat outboard is a very old Craftsman so I know it needs Pb to stay running.
warren5421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:36   #12

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Realistically, if the fuel system is alcohol compatible and fine with E10, it'll typically handle E15 fine. The bigger issue is that as you add more ethanol, you need a richer fuel mix. So you may need to re-jet a carb for an engine to run properly on E15. Fuel injection with O2 sensors will normally be able to adjust enough, hence the blanket approval for use in 2001+ cars and light trucks (as anything of that age and type will definitely be able to adjust fueling enough).

Nothing says E15 won't work in other engines, but it may not be automatic and there's no guarantees. But we won't see the stuff at fuel docks anyway (it's not approved for marine use), so this warning is mostly for trailer boaters.

Technically, ethanol isn't great for efficiency, but if you're looking to make more power it's a great fuel in high concentrations. The high octane rating and high oxygen content are both good for power potential.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:54   #13

Ethanol is a terrible excuse for gasoline. Regardless of other remarks I wouldn't even consider it for use in any of my engines, that includes my motorcycle, truck, car, boat, lawnmower, etc. Some may like it, but I've generally found that will eventually cause some issues down the line if used regularly.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:19   #14

Boat: Quickstep 24

Go into any small engine shop and ask the repair guy about ethanol. His/Her answer will be simple and sharp. "Don't!" They have been bogged down for years with repair work due to ethanol. More work than they want. If you can find ethanol-free for other-than-automobile engines, you'll be doing yourself a favor.
Note: My two Ford Escape Hybrids make it very clear ... "Do NOT Use E15" It voids the warranty. They are fuel injected.
RiverRat37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:33   #15

More air intake means the engine will run leaner and hotter, generally not good for most internal combustion engines. In an internal combustion engine, combustion ceases when all of the oxygen is used, never is all of the fuel burned during the combustion process, so where does that unburned fuel go...it's expelled out the exhaust. It's a double-edged sword, too lean, go to a larger jet to enrich the mixture, thus a cooler running engine but more unburned fuel exhausted into the atmosphere and more pollution and less fuel economy. We just can't win.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote