Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2017, 14:24   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Sudden oil sheen from Yanmar?

I'm halfway through a 6 week cruise and I just noticed a new oil sheen coming from my exhaust flow (Yanmar 4Jh5E with low hours). I've been motoring a good amount on this trip (4 hours today) but nothing too demanding. As per the manual, I'm in the habit of cycling the motor from low to high throttle 5 times before cooling/shutting down to burn off carbon. I never saw a sheen before today and I would have noticed it, but the fluid levels are still good and there are no changes to motor sound or function. Any idea what could suddenly cause a very light but visible oil sheen?
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 14:54   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Sudden oil sheen from Yanmar?

A dirty fuel injector gets my vote for the issue.
As opposed to running it up a few seconds in neutral, I run mine hard for a couple of minutes towards the end of a day of motoring.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 15:24   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Sudden is usually an injector.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 15:25   #4

How concerned would you be about it? I don't feel confortable doing too much tinkering myself this far from home, but I could find a local mechanic to look at it...
Old 12-07-2017, 16:20   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sudden oil sheen from Yanmar?

Wouldn't bother me much at all most Yanmars have a reputation for being a little smokey, and a slight sheen and smoke both can come from just a little unburnt fuel.
Unless of course she started smoking a lot.
I'd run a can or two of sea foam in the tank, depending on how large the tank is, that may well clean it up if it's just varnish on an injector tip, which it may well be.

If you don't know how long it's been since the injectors have been cleaned and pop tested, once I got to a good place to have that done I would
Old 12-07-2017, 16:56   #6

Sounds like a good strategy, thanks a lot for the advice
Old 12-07-2017, 17:37   #7

I had a Perkins doing that. Turns out the pushrod had come off the rocker so one cylinder not working. You really couldn't tell it on a 4 cylinder engine. So watch your oil level, mine got higher and higher as the fuel was being pushed past the piston rings into the sump due to the valve not opening...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 18:21   #8

Boat: Seafarer36c

This is pretty funny that you only had a 3 cylinder engine and didn't know it. How long did that go on? I remember you once saying your boat only used something like .6 gal per hour. I think this might be it.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 18:36   #9

I'm in a very salty little town here in Lunenberg, Nova Scotia. If I'm lucky I'll find a good mechanic to clean the injectors tomorrow.

If I end up going the Sea Foam route, maybe it would make more sense putting it directly in the fuel filters? Higher concentration to the injection system and less tank sediment to dislodge. Thoughts?
Old 13-07-2017, 09:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
This is pretty funny that you only had a 3 cylinder engine and didn't know it. How long did that go on? I remember you once saying your boat only used something like .6 gal per hour. I think this might be it.
Haha, yeah this is a different boat. This was the little 32 ft Trawler I had. It was surprising it wasn't more noticeable. The engine started right up and seemed to run well, however it was a 4-236 in a 32 ft boat so a bit overpowered. You can imagine the surprise when we took the rocker cover off and the pushrod is sitting there alongside the rocker! I'm not even sure how that happens or that it was possible. I guess the pushrod can bend enough to do it without permanent deformation. "springy". We reused the push rod as it was perfectly straight! We were on a trip south in Fl so I was checking the oil every morning... and it was getting fuller and fuller!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	634.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	383.3 KB
ID:	151797  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 11:21   #11

If the sea water goes through a transmission heat exchanger, check your transmission fluid now. If the transmission heat exchanger has a hole in it, it will suck the transmission fluid out of your transmission and burn it up.
Old 13-07-2017, 12:14   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Valve sticks open and push rod falls out of the rocker pocket, next time piston comes up it closes valve.
You got lucky, I've seen more than once when the piston pushes the valve closed it bends the valve and the valve head pops off and trashes that cylinder.
Old 13-07-2017, 12:15   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlylelk View Post
If the sea water goes through a transmission heat exchanger, check your transmission fluid now. If the transmission heat exchanger has a hole in it, it will suck the transmission fluid out of your transmission and burn it up.

That is an idea I hadn't thought of but it sure is possible.
Old 13-07-2017, 12:18   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A closed valve on an engine will make that cylinder actually work like an air spring and it will run smooth. Back in the 80's I think Cadillac had a V8 engine that would shut down two and run on 6 and even shut down 4 and run on 4. It did so I believe by disabling the valves in the shut down cylinder, if the valves still worked then you would of course have an air compressor and that takes bunches of power to run, but close the valves and you have an air spring.
Old 13-07-2017, 13:21   #15

Boat: Ontario32

Should not be a problem finding several well skilled diesel mechanics in Lunenburg N.S. it is of course a working harbour first and and a tourist harbour second. Is the Bluenose there now?
Crew of Turning is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, yanmar