Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2019, 17:11   #1

Strange white 'fuzz' on oil cooler fitting

Hey all, first post here. I'm super new and learning as quick as I can with my new to me Tartan 42. Recently I've noticed a strange white fuzz on our oil cooler fitting (westerbeke w50). It's almost salt-like, though I haven't completely ruled it out the location doesn't make sense for it to be salt water. The fuzz grows in the same location every time, even after tightening hose clamps and not using the engine. I was worried about a stray current, but the anode seems fine, and I'm not seeing any voltage on my multimeter. I haven't tested for AC yet, but will tonight. In the attached photos you can see the fuzz on the fitting which is the raw water loop. The clean fittings are the oil loops and the plug is the anode. I cleaned the fitting off and applied some corrosion block, but the fuzz still forms.

Thanks for any help and your time reading this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191028_171300.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	202444   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191028_171253.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	202445  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191028_213218.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	367.7 KB
ID:	202446  
thematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 17:18   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Strange white 'fuzz' on oil cooler fitting

Yeah that’s salt, I’d bet money. See it on the drain fitting right beside that fitting?
I have never seen a fitting go bad like that, but I bet you have one that has, ideally replace with a bronze one, but that may be like saying replace with a gold one, I don’t know where you would find bronze small fittings like that, perhaps someone else does? Pretty sure it’s brass and brass doesn’t last in salt water.

I believe that fitting itself is actually leaking, one way to know for sure is clean it well and dry it thoroughly, then put baby powder on it and run it, if there is any liquid at all the baby powder will show it.

Of course I’m betting water flows through that fitting and not oil, cause if oil does, well then I’m stumped
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 17:23   #3

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Strange white 'fuzz' on oil cooler fitting

Is there salt water running through those hoses? I think what you are seeing is zinc from the brass fittings de-zincifing - the brass gets porous as the zinc is elecrolytically removed from the brass. It would be a good idea to replace those fittings - with bronze ones if you can find them. If you can't find bronze or red brass plan on replacing them periodically.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 18:05   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

What the others said +1.

I'm thinking you have a brass fitting in the raw water loop and the brass has dezincified (sp?) and is becoming porous. The white stuff is probably not NaCl salt, rather other salts deposited by the action of warm/hot sea water and the brass (calcium / magnesium / etc).

I agree that bronze would be way better and last a lifetime but brass needs to be replaced often. Maybe every couple of years????????
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 18:38   #5

You guys are awesome! That makes perfect sense. Got home and took some fine sandpaper and 'polished' up the surface where the fuzz grows. Sure enough micro pitting and in the spot where the fuzz grows is a little copper colored spot. I don't have baby powder on hand, but I wrapped some absorbent cloth and will see what happens.

No AC detected either, so do you think this just a result of the salt water in the hose causing electrolysis over time?

I'll see if I can get a fitting ordered. Thanks all!
Old 31-10-2019, 19:03   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thematt View Post

No AC detected either, so do you think this just a result of the salt water in the hose causing electrolysis over time?

More because it is brass, not bronze.

Brass and sea water don't play well together where as sea water and bronze live a long and happy existence together.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 20:43   #7
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
You guys are awesome! That makes perfect sense. Got home and took some fine sandpaper and 'polished' up the surface where the fuzz grows. Sure enough micro pitting and in the spot where the fuzz grows is a little copper colored spot. I don't have baby powder on hand, but I wrapped some absorbent cloth and will see what happens.

No electrolysis, galvanic corrosion. It is acting as a sacrificial anode (at least the zinc in the alloy is) while sitting in your steel engine. No different than you zinc in your prop shaft. I’m surprised it’s a raw water cooler engine, looks pretty new.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 20:59   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

You will be able to get an equivalent fitting/plug in 316 ss. Install with thread tape & or pipe sealant goop
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 21:53   #9

It's a Westerebeke W50, manufactured in 1980. The original schematics are still availble online. The engine itself has a fresh water coolant loop via the HX, but the oil is cooled with this small oil cooler (pictured). I beleive it's copper or perhaps bronze. Where paint has flecked away it's a nice rose copper color, but that's only a guess. The previous owner had it replaced relatively recently.

Given the fitting is not installed in Steel would the SS still be a good option?
Old 31-10-2019, 22:00   #10

Replace the cooler anode[emoji780][emoji780]
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 22:10   #11
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
It's a Westerebeke W50, manufactured in 1980. The original schematics are still availble online. The engine itself has a fresh water coolant loop via the HX, but the oil is cooled with this small oil cooler (pictured). I beleive it's copper or perhaps bronze. Where paint has flecked away it's a nice rose copper color, but that's only a guess. The previous owner had it replaced relatively recently.

Given the fitting is not installed in Steel would the SS still be a good option?
Yes but use an isolator like Lanocote or Tef gel so they don’t get welded together in the future.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 22:56   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Replace the cooler anode[emoji780][emoji780]

It's super fresh still ~90%. I'll clean the threads out and make sure contact is good this weekend. I would hate to think the cooler is being eaten 😬
Old 01-11-2019, 02:16   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Matt.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:56   #14

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
It's super fresh still ~90%. I'll clean the threads out and make sure contact is good this weekend. I would hate to think the cooler is being eaten [emoji51]
That plug looks similar to a sacrificial anode. When you remove it (after closing the sea cock) take a picture and post. I’m guessing that is not just a plug. What does the parts manual say it is?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:11   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
That plug looks similar to a sacrificial anode. When you remove it (after closing the sea cock) take a picture and post. I’m guessing that is not just a plug. What does the parts manual say it is?

It's the anode. You can see in my initial post I said the plug is the anode, I was attempting to describe the oil cooler features and seems I've added some confusion. In my previous posts I've noted the anode is in good shape. At about 90%. I'm concerned there isn't good contact though.

Thanks again everyone for warm welcome and help! I'll dig into this tonight or tomorrow.

Tags
oil, oil cooler, w50, westerbeke