Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2015, 22:21   #1

Kubota/Universal Diesel Problem

I have a Rawson 30 with a Kubota D850 3 cylinder diesel. I purchased the boat recently. I am having trouble keeping the engine running. The motor will start and run really well for about 20 mins and then it seems to starve for fuel and cut out. The fuel looks good and clean. There seems to be plenty of fuel pressure coming through the injectors. The filter looks brand new and seems to be completely clean. I'm stumped. Also, the engine only has around 200-300 hours on it.

This is my first boat and I'm excited to get it out on the water. Thanks for any insight.
Rawson30Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 00:17   #2

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer
Re: Kubota/Universal Diesel Problem

Start by changing your fuel filters. If that doesn't fix the problem then I'd say it is air in the fuel

With diesel engines, 90% of problems such as this is the result of air being sucked into fuel lines or the fuel filters. Check all fuel lines & clamps; check your water separator fuel filters, especially the o-rings in the top & bottom. Sometimes the old o-ring is not removed when changing filters and adding a second one allows air to be drawn in.

One way of tracking down the source of air is to temporarily install a section of clear hose and check for small air bubbles. The leak is somewhere upstream of wherever you see the air. Work your way through the system methodically and you will find the source of air intrusion.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 03:13   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rawson30Spartan.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 04:29   #4

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Had the same with my Yanmar. Changing filters was not the solution. On the end of the fuel pickup line in the tank a mesh filter was mounted. Bacteria present in the tank slowly accumulated on the mesh when the engine is running and after a certain time formed a layer starving the engine of fuel. When the engine stops the layer of bacteria disintegrates and the fuel supply is restored. Hope this helps finding a solution.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 04:38   #5

Boat: 41' Moa Ta Navigator Ketch

I had the same problem with that exact engine and it took me months to figure out. Turned out there was gas added to the diesel (about 4 gallons in a 18 gallon tank). It would run about 20 minutes then die.

Sent from my QMV7B using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Seail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 07:12   #6

Could be a plugged fuel tank vent. Does the tank take a breath if you open it after the engine dies?
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 08:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayH View Post
Could be a plugged fuel tank vent. Does the tank take a breath if you open it after the engine dies?
I checked the vent before and it definitely wasn't plugged or clogged.
Old 27-06-2015, 08:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seail View Post
I had the same problem with that exact engine and it took me months to figure out. Turned out there was gas added to the diesel (about 4 gallons in a 18 gallon tank). It would run about 20 minutes then die.
How did you find out there was gas in the diesel? How would I check?
Old 27-06-2015, 16:20   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Check your fuel line from the bottom of the pickup tube to your filters. Make sure that there is no screen filter on the pickup tube. If there is remove it and get rid of it. Check the bottom of the tank for build up of crud that could block your line. Check that the fuel line is clear and in good shape with no kinks.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 16:24   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Had this problem on my boat.

Engine ran 20 and cut out. I bled the fuel system, restarted and it all repeated again.

Before you go too deep take the filler cap off and run the engine at the dock. If this solves the problem, the vent line off the tank is either pinched or blocked.

Eliminate the easy stuff first...

"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 16:59   #11

That is more often known as the M25.

Here is a link to tons of info on your engine

Diesel Engine - C34

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 17:52   #12

Boat: Sceptre 41

check the hose ends for leaks. I once had the hose clamp wear a hole in the hose. I cut off the end of the hose and replaced the clamp with an awab type clamp. much better clamps btw.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 05:51   #13

Boat: 41' Moa Ta Navigator Ketch

Funny story I took the injection pump to the repair center and he ask me if I soaked it in gas. He could smell it but I couldn't. I got a two gallon can of fresh diesel and rerouted the pickup to it and it ran good. The marina that pumped the gas into my tank pumped the bad diesel out and replaced it with good (for free) and àll was fine.

Sent from my QMV7B using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Seail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 06:52   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawson30Spartan View Post
How did you find out there was gas in the diesel? How would I check?
Tests for Identifying Fuel Adulteration (pg 3) ➥ http://meerutup.tripod.com/diesel.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 20:39   #15

Your model Kubota comes with no less 3 different types of fuel lift pumps if it is not a sealed unit check internal mesh screen filter.
Get a non- smoker to do smell test at the fuel filler or put a small in vessel and light, it if petrol is present it will ignite very easy in comparison to raw diesel.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel