Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2012, 18:14   #1
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Universal / Kubota Hydraulic Windlass Possibilities

I have a universal model 20 that is a Kubota based engine. Upon browsing the Kubota tractor parts I keep seeing the injection pump camshaft mounted hydraulic pump that fits the same engine. Im toying with the possibilities of using this pump to mount hydraulic windlass drums on the fore and aft deck to use for anchor retrieval and Kedging. The heavy duty motors cost a mere 300 and the valves around $100. A few questions are how would 375 rpm compare to the typical electric windlass speed. Didnt see the rpm specs at lewmar just retrieval speed.
How would 3275 inch pounds compare to the typical 1000 watt electric windlass motor?
Has anyone here done this before that could offer details and advice?
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 18:30   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: universal /Kubota hydraulic windlass possibilities

I don't know the numbers but many boats have a hydraulic pump driven off a different engine than the drive engine or an electric pump. This is so you still have enough hydraulic power to operate the windlass and/or side thruster while operating your drive engine at slow speed. I would not drive a hydraulic pump from my main engine, or at least I would have an alternate drive method for slow speed boat operation, such as when retrieving an anchor.

Check the different windlass manufacturers and see what they use for a selection guide.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 05:11   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz
I don't know the numbers but many boats have a hydraulic pump driven off a different engine than the drive engine or an electric pump. This is so you still have enough hydraulic power to operate the windlass and/or side thruster while operating your drive engine at slow speed. I would not drive a hydraulic pump from my main engine, or at least I would have an alternate drive method for slow speed boat operation, such as when retrieving an anchor.

Check the different windlass manufacturers and see what they use for a selection guide.
Very common on english narrow boats to operate thrusters, works well on torquey slow speed diesels. The main problem with hydraulics is costs, everything is way more expensive then electrics and the pumps etc are hard to fix in remote areas, whereas anyone can rewind motors.

Dave
Old 25-01-2012, 06:02   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

The only issue I see is the 375 rpm.... If your windlass is 1:1, 12" in circumference , your're looking at 375fpm! Almost six FEET PER SECOND!

I had a hydraulic take off on the genset of my tug with hydraulic capstans, also a,small crane. The rig also had a hefty oil cooler.
Old 25-01-2012, 08:37   #5
cruiser

The only issue I see is the 375 rpm.... If your windlass is 1:1, 12" in circumference , your're looking at 375fpm! Almost six FEET PER SECOND!

ok that answered part of my question. Due to the ability to vary the rate easily with the hydraulic flow metering that shouldnt be a problem. can see adjustable rate via an adjustable valve and up down controls via solenoid switching, or a lever at the drum and or helm you could run like a throttle.

now about how 3240 inlbs of torque or 270 ft lbs compares to a 1000 watt electric windlass motor. When Im looking at the conversion calculators online it looks like im trying to compare apples to oranges. Im thinking the electric motors are gear reduction anyway. 270 ft lbs of torque seems like a lot if you think of torquing bolts and the like. Any physics gurus out there?

As for cost. looking at the v series lewmar at around $2k as a base point, with the $250 hydraulic pump, $300 hi torque hydraulic motors and $100 reversing valves with speed control, Ive still got a lot of room for installation, capstan, and accessories. also thinking of the possibilities of hydraulic run emergency pump that could move a lot of water quickly.
Old 25-01-2012, 10:44   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
As for cost. looking at the v series lewmar at around $2k as a base point, with the $250 hydraulic pump, $300 hi torque hydraulic motors and $100 reversing valves with speed control, Ive still got a lot of room for installation, capstan, and accessories. also thinking of the possibilities of hydraulic run emergency pump that could move a lot of water quickly.
That is pretty simplistic way to price a windlass. All the above gives you is a few of the many parts you will need. Good luck.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 17:25   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
That is pretty simplistic way to price a windlass. All the above gives you is a few of the many parts you will need. Good luck.
When I referred to plenty of room for installation I was referring to lines ,clamps ,fittings , machine work to adapt a junkyard gypsy or capstan to the hydraulic motor, I allowed a thousand bucks for this to equal a v series lewmar and am thinking im looking at more torque and speed. What am I missing that is going to break the bank? Name some of the many parts Im missing if you would please?
Old 26-01-2012, 17:43   #8

Boat: Roberts TY 43

I converted my Lafrons anchor windlass last year. There was enough reduction in the gear to use a high speed, low torque hydraulic drive motor. I have a few specs here...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lic-60986.html
Norskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:10   #9

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'
Re: Universal / Kubota Hydraulic Windlass Possibilities

The pump you wish to install on the engine is a power source. It does not determine the RPM or torque of the hydraulic motor that will drive your winch/windlass. That is determined by the hydraulic motor you buy. They are available in a variety of sizes. The larger the motor (they are rated in the volume of fluid it takes to make a single revolution of the shaft) the slower it will turn with a given flow. The flow volume is determined by the pump volume and RPM it's turned by the Kubota. So, find the volume of flow your pump will produce on the Kubota. Then buy a motor with the volume that will give you the RPMs and torque you need. The larger the motor, the slower it will turn and the more torque it will have. It's a hydraullic reduction gear, and you get to choose the reduction ratio.

Done right they work very well.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windlass