Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2015, 08:20   #1

Boat: Compac 23D
Re: Help! My transmission won't go into gear

And how did you slide the shaft back in were any bolts loose? My boat is in the water and everything seems fine from the bilge side
BobL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 10:36   #2

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post
And how did you slide the shaft back in were any bolts loose? My boat is in the water and everything seems fine from the bilge side
My shaft slide out of the coupler leaving the outboard half of the coupler attached to the drive train and a naked shaft lying in the bilge. A real good reason to keep a spare key.😊
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 10:56   #3

Rumlater;
I have no idea what caused the seal to start leaking, but it is clearly shot. Oil just runs right out after filling. Sounds like too big a job for me (at 74 years) to remove the tranny with the very tight quarters on my boat.

Lesterbutch;
Still don't quite understand the "slide the shaft back in" concept? That would be an easy fix it that's the problem.

tdh1849
Thanks for the tip on the yanmar dealer in Ft Lauderdale.
Old 18-05-2015, 12:30   #4

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

Coming into Lahaina harbor with following waves I went full reverse to keep behind the swell. The shaft parted from the coupler and the 3 blade prop pulled it aft pinning the rudder to port. As the boat broached the 8' wave in the channel entrance she drove hard to starboard and into the harbor by the grace of God.
Regular maintenance for the last 30 years dictates checking the tightness of the coupler screws every time I change oil...
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 13:09   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by duefocena View Post
Coming into Lahaina harbor with following waves I went full reverse to keep behind the swell. The shaft parted from the coupler and the 3 blade prop pulled it aft pinning the rudder to port. As the boat broached the 8' wave in the channel entrance she drove hard to starboard and into the harbor by the grace of God.
Regular maintenance for the last 30 years dictates checking the tightness of the coupler screws every time I change oil...
Really? Lahaina without steerage with that tight dog leg to starboard. You are one lucky dude! Well done!

I had the same thing happen backing out of a slip in Kaneohe at the Yacht Club. Luckily I was still in the harbor, could tie off to a mooring post and could borrow some tools and dive down to see what was happening. It was a friends boat that I was taking to Pearl Harbor for him (a Celestial 46). I made it by slipping the shaft back in place and tightening the keeper bolts but was very skeptical about it the whole way.
Old 23-05-2015, 14:49   #6

PROBLEM SOLVED:My transmission won't go into gear

Lesterbutch and others
Found the problem!!! Loosened the flanges at the transmission and found a big (1") nut had worked itself loose and thus allowing the trans/spline flange to slip back about an inch. This let all the fluid out of the trans and disengage the shaft.
Put the nut back on tight and whadda ya know...it works. Whew!!!

Thanks to all.
Old 23-05-2015, 15:01   #7

Re: PROBLEM SOLVED:My transmission won't go into gear

[QUOTE=BobL;1832026]Lesterbutch and others
Found the problem!!! Loosened the flanges at the transmission and found a big (1") nut had worked itself loose and thus allowing the trans/spline flange to slip back about an inch. This let all the fluid out of the trans and disengage the shaft.

Thanks to all

Seems the biggest problem with sailboats is their motors
Old 23-05-2015, 19:01   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: PROBLEM SOLVED:My transmission won't go into gear

[QUOTE=BobL;1832030]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post
Lesterbutch and others

Thanks to all

Seems the biggest problem with sailboats is their motors
Glad you got it straightened out. That certainly wasn't too costly.

Tags
gear, transmission