Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2017, 17:55   #1

Engine not starting

Hi all I have a 2008 Beneteau 41 with a Yamar 3JH4E
Diesel 1100 hours. Recently after anchoring out over night it would crank but no start. My mechanic states fuel pump has black oil fouled and Yanmar has no new pump. Instead of rebuild I should get a new universal diesel and not trust this engine. I'm not sure what to do. Appreciate any advice
docofthebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 18:01   #2

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Engine not starting

First thing I would do is install an electric pump with a switch right after your fuel tank selector valve. Great for filter changes, priming & running your engine when the mechanical Yanmar pump quits. The next thing I'd do is find a different mechanic. Replacing a diesel because of the fuel pump is nuts.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 18:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
First thing I would do is install an electric pump with a switch right after your fuel tank selector valve. Great for filter changes, priming & running your engine when the mechanical Yanmar pump quits. The next thing I'd do is find a different mechanic. Replacing a diesel because of the fuel pump is nuts.

He did install an electric pump and said it didn't work. The engine has been running well until now. Could I rebuild the pump.
Old 02-09-2017, 18:14   #4

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
+1 The engine is only just run in, replace the mechanic not the engine.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 18:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
+1 The engine is only just run in, replace the mechanic not the engine.

That's my thought as well thanks
Old 02-09-2017, 18:30   #6

is the injector pump fouled? black oil? has the fuel been polished? maybe the boat has old, degraded fuel

maybe the mechanic has a universal kickback he is craving
cptcptcpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 20:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcptcpt View Post
is the injector pump fouled? black oil? has the fuel been polished? maybe the boat has old, degraded fuel

maybe the mechanic has a universal kickback he is craving

It was running fine the day before. Fuel is fresh. I replaced the filters bled the lifter pump but couldn't see fuel coming out of the high pressure pump.
Old 02-09-2017, 18:31   #8

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Learn to do your own trouble shooting unless you can afford to keep replacing engines. A non mechanic should be able to figure out if your electric pump is supplying fuel to the injector pump. Then if you have a manual, check the bleeding of air.
Any pump is rebuildable if parts are available.
Here's a new pump from China on Ebay: NEW Fuel Pump For Yanmar Marine Diesel Engine JH Series 3JH2BE 3JH2G 3JH2L 3JH3 | eBay
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 18:34   #9

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Hey, even if the high pressure injection pump is toast the rebuild cost of the pump is so far short of a new engine it's not funny.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 20:50   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

While you are cranking the engine ensure that the sea water inlet sea cock is closed. When the engine starts open the sea cock immediately.

Does the mechanical lift pump have a hole in the diaphragm?

Did the mechanic bypass the mech. lift pump when he installed the electric pump? He should have.

The electrical pump should be on the outlet side of the Racor(?) fuel filter. Between the filter and the on engine filter.

Have you checked to see if the electric pump is actually pumping fuel into the on engine filter? It should be.

If all checks out then you may have to bleed the on engine filter several times. There should be a bleed screw near the top of the HP pump.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:21   #11

Boat: Scout 30

[QUOTE=DeepFrz;2469996]
The electrical pump should be on the outlet side of the Racor(?) fuel filter. Between the filter and the on engine filter.

I'd like to know why that's recommended because I am not a mechanic & can always learn something. I've had the electric pump before the dual racors in my last 2 boats because after a filter change the pump is not sucking air, it pressurizes the lines so any leak is easy to find & in an emergency the motor will run even with a small leak in the fuel line as long as the pump is before the leak. I should note that I normally leave the pump turned off.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:27   #12

[QUOTE=Scout 30;2470140]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post

I'd like to know why that's recommended because I am not a mechanic & can always learn something. I've had the electric pump before the dual racors in my last 2 boats because after a filter change the pump is not sucking air, it pressurizes the lines so any leak is easy to find & in an emergency the motor will run even with a small leak in the fuel line as long as the pump is before the leak. I should note that I normally leave the pump turned off.
The pump should be after the primary filter because the filter is there to filter stuff out. There is usually a small filter in the bottom of the pumps. You do NOT want that small filter to be your primary filter. Pumps can suck as well as push. They will draw fuel through the primary filter. Any air gets expelled through the bleeding process.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:57   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, docofthebay.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:04   #14

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Failure happened after anchoring out overnight. Anchoring overnight keeps the fuel sloshing around in the tank. I would check the fuel pickup tube and fuel line for picked up debris. If the electric fuel pump does not pump fuel as well, then that is one more indicator for the tank pickup and and fuel lines clogged.
Oh... and as an aside change your diesel mechanic, not the engine.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:23   #15

First thought is get a new mechanic because anyone that recommend an engine swap without detailing why the current one cannot be repaired is not to be trusted.

Feed pumps and injection pumps can be fixed for a whole lot less than a new engine.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine