Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2017, 10:10   #16

Re: Engine not starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Just wondering, how does a fuel pump get fouled with oil?
I presume he means injector pump and a seal failed, allowing crankcase oil into the unit.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:27   #17

[QUOTE=Scout 30;2470140]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
The electrical pump should be on the outlet side of the Racor(?) fuel filter. Between the filter and the on engine filter.

I'd like to know why that's recommended because I am not a mechanic & can always learn something. I've had the electric pump before the dual racors in my last 2 boats because after a filter change the pump is not sucking air, it pressurizes the lines so any leak is easy to find & in an emergency the motor will run even with a small leak in the fuel line as long as the pump is before the leak. I should note that I normally leave the pump turned off.
The pump should be after the primary filter because the filter is there to filter stuff out. There is usually a small filter in the bottom of the pumps. You do NOT want that small filter to be your primary filter. Pumps can suck as well as push. They will draw fuel through the primary filter. Any air gets expelled through the bleeding process.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 15:33   #18

The 3JH4E electric fuel pump is part of the engine, hence it would be located after the Racor but before the engine filter.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 17:20   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I'm wondering if we have been told the whole story here.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 00:31   #20

We all(yes even me!) need to be more careful when stating FUEL PUMP in order of clarity either say Lift Pump or Injection pump other wise it;s Apples and Oranges ,

Now an Injection pump can get black oil in it from a leaking main shaft seal into the front gear case- BUT saying that it's normally the other way around- fuel leaking into the engine oil,

The lift pump can also be contaminated from a seal/diaphragm issue as it also has parts of the pump exposed to the engine internal oil- Again how ever it normally leaks fuel into the oil rather than the other way around,

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:18   #21

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captsteve53 View Post
We all(yes even me!) need to be more careful when stating FUEL PUMP in order of clarity either say Lift Pump or Injection pump other wise it;s Apples and Oranges ,

Now an Injection pump can get black oil in it from a leaking main shaft seal into the front gear case- BUT saying that it's normally the other way around- fuel leaking into the engine oil,

The lift pump can also be contaminated from a seal/diaphragm issue as it also has parts of the pump exposed to the engine internal oil- Again how ever it normally leaks fuel into the oil rather than the other way around,

Cheers Steve
I think you're right here. The lift pump is normally always called the fuel pump but in this case I think we're probably talking about the injector pump.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine