Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2018, 21:45   #1

Boat: Freedom 40
Engine Control on port or starboard

We are replacing the engine on our Freedom 40 Center Cockpit. The current throttle/gear controller is on the port side of the wheel. Instrument/ignition contol panel is in the companion way on the starboard side of the aft cabin. Our old engine was at full throttle to start, so there always was a little bit of a sprint to get to the throttle to reduce the RPMs. The new pannel/ignition will go where the old one was, but moving the new controls to the starboard side of the wheel is an option. New engine starts at idle speeds.

Having both the ignition and throttle reachable during starting seems practical. But if the port side is the preferred side for docking (prop walk) it would be much better to have the throttle on port. The new control will also conveniently cover all the old mounting holes.

Advice, opinions...

Erik
Old 29-12-2018, 22:04   #2

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet
Re: Engine Control on port or starboard

Sounds like a crazy set-up. Like having the car ignition in the back seat of the car. I would assume panel and all controls should be within reach of helm...... but what do I know.
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 22:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post
Sounds like a crazy set-up. Like having the car ignition in the back seat of the car. I would assume panel and all controls should be within reach of helm...... but what do I know.
The instrument pannel is actually in a sweet spot - out of the weather, viewable and reachable from the helm, and locked up when the boat is locked up. And if the throttle contol is on starboard, then from the helm the ignition and throttle are all within reach. But if the boat is primarily/preferentially docked on port, then the control should be on port.
Old 30-12-2018, 09:19   #4

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad.wabbit View Post
...if the port side is the preferred side for docking (prop walk) it would be much better to have the throttle on port...
One has nothing at all to do with the other.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 10:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
One has nothing at all to do with the other.
Maybe I'm overthinking this, but - one can only reach the throttle when standing centered behind the wheel or on the side the throttle is on. One gets a much better view approaching a dock if standing on the side of the wheel. Thus if the throttle is on starboard, it becomes more awkward to dock on port. So if port is the preferred side to dock on, the that would be the preferred side for the throttle.
Old 30-12-2018, 10:29   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Engine Control on port or starboard

My throttle is to Starboard, and if it were on the port side, then I’d be crawling over it all of the time as I guess from a kid growing up riding horses, I always get into or onto something from the port side.
It has never caused a problem for me.
Powerboats we had the throttles were on the Starboard side and the transmission levers to Port if memory serves
Always thought separating the two was dumb.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 10:55   #7

One does mount a horse from port. The original owner always did things for a reason and we've had little to complain or improve upon. Thus the debate.
Old 31-12-2018, 10:22   #8

I have attached images of a Freedom 40 instrument panel, wheel / throttle and center cockpit for the forum's reference. Not sure if your vessel is similar to this layout.

What instruments are inside on the starboard side of the companionway and what, if any are at the helm? Not being able to see instruments from where I am controlling the engine is problematic to me, unless one spends a great deal of time motoring and staying inside and thus monitoring the engine remotely away from the helm.

Having keyed ignition near the throttle and wheel is logical so as to not require the run around, even though your new engine will start at idle speed.

How often do you actually dock your vessel utilizing its favored / prop walk direction? I have found that docking often is dictated based on the dock's orientation, wind, current, obstacles, etc. and not the boats prop walk characteristics [but then I have at times docked into my berth in the marina under full sail propulsion when the engine would not start, hence no prop walk availability from the iron jib and at times when approaching the fuel dock, i.e., Old School Sailing with quick maneuvering in tight quarters].

If you favor port side docking so much that it is "THE WAY" you actually dock then I would suggest placing the throttle on such favored side. I am starboard handed [a righty] hence favor controlling the throttle with my right paw and not my southpaw.

Much depends on what object you have greatest concern about bumping into when docking as to which side of the vessel one needs to have greatest visibility and awareness of. The dock often being the much lesser of the evils especially when docking alongside another vessel or a post.

Do you med moor, where throttle control is typically performed facing stern as you are backing / reversing the vessel to the dock. Many things can become cattywampus when your wake is made fore instead of the customary aft.

But ultimately the decision may depend on which hand do you favor holding your beer with, because that ultimately dictates which remaining hand you have available for shifting the throttle and turning the helm wheel as the Skipper should never want to have to ask a crew member: "Here hold my beer."; or if soloing to have to set your beer down when docking. The truest test of single handed docking is while holding a beer in one hand so as to have only a single hand available to perform the requisite navigating maneuvers, trimming sails, adjusting sheets, lowering halyards, and setting your dock lines. Developing ambidexterity aids in all instances, including drinking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Freedom 40 center cockpit.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	182925   Click image for larger version

Name:	freedom 40 wheel and throttle.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	182926  

Click image for larger version

Name:	freedom 40.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	182927  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 10:34   #9

Consider mounting the starting switch convenient and leave the panel below if you must.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 18:17   #10

Montanan ~ thanks for chiming in and posting the video outtakes. I’ve admired your cockpit before. At present we just have a compass mounted on our console top and I hope to keep the top clear for Happy Hour snacks, drinkies, and food in general. Our engine control is mounted on the side, just slightly forward of the wheel, with the lever top barely clearing the top.

Cheechako ~ as our ignition is push button anyhow, wiring a second switch at the throttle is being considered.

I’ve committed and cut a 4x4 hole to mount the throttle on port...

Bad
Old 31-12-2018, 19:33   #11

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post
Yes, if there is room at the wheel, put the ignition and start button there with the controls on either side or as close as possible to the wheel/pedestal. Some boats that don't have room in a 'binnacle' or pedestal at the wheel will put the controls on the side of the cockpit seat, in that case yes you would want them closer to the port side if that's the way your prop walks you.

Now since you moved the key switch and start button off the aft companionway(?) , you can find a better use for those empty holes. I keep adding switches to my boat and just about run out of room now.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine