Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2019, 15:23   #1

Boat: Beneteau 473
Yanmar Problems

Yanmar troubles

I lost power on my Yanmar 75hp turbo (4JHE3-TE snE11637) on my 2002 Beneteau. I’ll try to be brief with the symptoms.
We have a Gori prop that we use in “overdrive” a great deal. When the pitch is changed from 17’’ to 19” the max RPM we get is 2200. This has been consistent since the beginning, so I don’t think it is unusual. I have battery bank switches, house and engine. When we sail I disengage engine bank, but I forget to engage it again after we start motoring. I did so NY eve, we ran for about 24 hours, while the RPM was slowly dropping to 2000. Seas were heavy and I thought that the RPM issue was because of those heavy seas. Then the engine “died”. When I restarted, it ran for 10-15 seconds, while increasing throttle and died again. Later we determined that the engine did not die completely, but it was a a very low idle speed. Since the stop button can only be engaged when the engine and key are on, we could not get it stopped completely. For many hours, it was running at this low idle speed. It eventually stopped.
After the engine lost power, I engaged the engine battery bank along with the house, and started our generator set. We let that run for 20 hours. It seems that all batteries were topped off (according to monitors (did not disconnect and measure, but we can do that). We have been visually checking racor bowl (filter has 50 hours on it) and check engine oil every time before we leave dock or haul anchor.
Another symptom, once in a while as I am manuevering into slip or mooring, the Volvo Penta single lever (I think it’s a PC-270, or something like that) throttling in gear does not increase RPM and hence no power (either forward or reverse). Too avoid collision, I had to hold the button down to disengage gear, rev engine and while backing down, reengage gear. We checked the physical linkage for gear box and throttle, readjusted it, but it has happened again. Cable have been check, and they are not broken.
Any suggestions
Thanks ina advance
Seas The Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 16:13   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Yanmar Problems

You most likely have a fuel problem. It could be a clogged filter or it could be air in the fuel line, but the fact that the engine still runs at idle speed points more to a clogged filter. Running for 24 hours in heavy seas can easily stir up crud from the bottom a fuel tank and clog a nearly new filter.

I'm surprised you could restart it when it 'died' without a lot of grinding noise if it was in fact still running.

Remember that even Beneteau's have two fuel filters--a primary and a secondary. Replace them both and bleed the system and you should have a working engine again.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 16:17   #3

Boat: Hylas 54

2200 RPM max is too slow, you are bogging the engine down by over propping it. I suspect that your exhaust elbow is clogged.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 17:13   #4

It could be a simple problem like fuel delivery as mentioned above, fuel tank crud can clog the filters which is an easy fix, sometimes crud gets caught in the primary filter housing intake port, so worth checking that too, disconnect hose clean with a thin wire. If you have an electric fuel pump it is pretty easy to see if there is a flow by disconnecting downstream from the pump.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 17:15   #5

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Sounds like exhaust elbow clogged bogging down engine. Also check air filter if so equipped..... lack of sufficient air to engine will bog her down. Fuel filters as well as mentioned but I think air issue imho. Start simple and go from there.

Good luck!
Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 19:06   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I agree that it's probably a clogged fuel line or possibly blocked exhaust mixing elbow as others have stated. Could also be a clogged fuel breather line. That can easily be checked by loosening the filler fitting and seeing if that cures the problem.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar