Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2024, 04:04   #1
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac
D2-55 Heat Exchanger Replacement

Need urgent assistance.

I am about to begin replacing my Volvo Penta D2-55B heat exchanger with the designated replacement part #22898286, a D2-55"F" heat exchanger. I noticed that there are three items on the front of the "B" model exchanger that are not on the "F" model and can't find any instruction on how to make the replacement.

Specifically, my "B" model has an electrical "coolant monitor", a small short coolant hose from the coolant pump to the heat exchanger, and a small coolant connection that connects from the exchanger to the salon heater and water heater...I believe the latter is a return line and previous owner engine replacement add-on.

I believe I have all the other parts, hoses needed.

Thank you.
Old 16-04-2024, 19:22   #2

Re: D2-55 Heat Exchanger Replacement

I’m not at home at the moment and thus away from tech info, but here is what I think you need to do to fit the later style HE housing to an earlier A or B engine.

The F model used only one electrical sender for coolant monitoring as it is equipped with the MDI system, but the HE tank should be fitted with two threaded ports. If you have only a temp alarm and no temp gauge, your temp alarm switch should thread into the front most port on the HE tank, right at the exit of the coolant from the cylinder head. If you also have a temp gauge, the sender for the temp gauge threads into the port on the side of the tank just ahead of the thermostat location.

On the late style tanks the hot water outlet to the house hot water tank and cabin heater is a threaded plug on the rear of the HE tank, just below the exhaust outlet. The return from the cabin heater goes to the threaded plug on the top of the circ pump. Cap off the existing small hose that goes to the side fitting on the circ pump if it is in use.

The new style HE tank went into production on the “C” version engine. It had the older style electrics, and the new HE design.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat exchanger, men