Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2021, 18:20   #46

Boat: Cape Dory 30c
Re: Can I move my 38-foot boat with an outboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoserumlvr View Post
To open, maybe, an entirely different kettle of fish, does anyone know anything about Cuban mechanics? I am headed for Havana, and I know they do wonders with old cars, but I am not sure about diesels.
Been to Cuba 5 times over the past 12 years. Nothing wrong with the mechanics but parts will be scarce to non-existent.
Mara Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 18:25   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
My point was that your specific and disrespectful assessment of BillK is at least as demeaning and snarky as his was. Yours in particular does not meet the CF rule about "being nice". Accusing him of being a bully is more of a personal attack than his indirect question about sailing ability. You both need to back off and consider obeying the rules that you agreed to when you joined CF.

BTW, in this case I am posting as a regular member of CF, not as a moderator.

Jim
No snarkiness in my response. I wrote it carefully and accurately based on my own experience with him. I disagree with your conclusion of your subjective analysis. Nothing demeaning or disparaging in my assessment of BillK forum behaviour. I respectfully disagree with your analysis. BillK makes these remarks often and needs to be called out. Another moderator Adelie called him out on a thread started by me. Further if you want to post as a regular member I suggest you create a second profile so your title of moderator will not appear and create confusion. FYI I received three PM Thank you specifically thanking me for the post you are objecting to regarding calling out Bills behaviour. I am not a bully and will not tolerate bullies. I like this forum. I want to be able to ask and respond to questions without having to read vitriol from a member who disparages others. The difference between my comments about BillK and his comments to the OP is that I can substantiate my assertions regarding his behaviour on this forum whereas he has no idea what the sailing skills of the OP are. Hence flawed premise and false assumption. It is simply deductive logic not ungrounded sniping. Point well taken about flagging offensive posts I don't quite know how to do that yet but will check in to it as I also informed myself on adding to the ignore list. I felt in this case it was important to show my solidarity with the OP and share my personal experience and strategies dealing with bullies on this forum rather then wait/hope the moderators eventually do something about it. Judging from your position I think I made the right call because I disagree that my posts about BillK are somehow similar in intent and purpose as BillK's post about the member. Best, Rick Blackburn.
Old 26-10-2021, 18:27   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
My point was that your specific and disrespectful assessment of BillK is at least as demeaning and snarky as his was. Yours in particular does not meet the CF rule about "being nice". Accusing him of being a bully is more of a personal attack than his indirect question about sailing ability. You both need to back off and consider obeying the rules that you agreed to when you joined CF. If you should encounter a post that offends you, flag it and leave it to the moderator team to deal with the situation.

BTW, in this case I am posting as a regular member of CF, not as a moderator.

Jim
It was not a question. He asserted that if I was good sailor I would not be asking such a question. I didn't appreciate that. I didn't call him a bully but I feel I am within my rights to say I find it negative and unwelcome and question why he felt the need to be superior. I came here to ask people for their insights, not for them to express disdain for my question.
Bluenoserumlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 18:42   #49

Quote:
It was not a question. He asserted that if I was good sailor I would not be asking such a question. I didn't appreciate that. I didn't call him a bully but I feel I am within my rights to say I find it negative and unwelcome and question why he felt the need to be superior. I came here to ask people for their insights, not for them to express disdain for my question.
Yes and I posted that based on my personal experience with him on this forum where he also expressed a need to be superior. I also questioned his need and concluded he was a bully. Again not based on vitriol but actual evidence that he has exhibited this type of behaviour before directed personally at a question and thread I started. Adelie a moderator in that thread stated that several more established members here like to 'beat up on newbies.' Well I am pushing back. I would rather that this forum remain useful then fall down the sociopathy of the Internet.

I wholeheartedly agree and will advocate against that behaviour whenever I feel it is necessary to protect our collective rights to a free and respectful and friendly exchange of all things salty!
Old 26-10-2021, 18:55   #50

BTW I just got off the phone with a member of the Cape Dory Owners association who removed his inboard and mounted a Honda 9.9 extra long shaft high thrust outboard on a side mount built for him by Yves Gelinas (who I do know personally) that he used for years as his only auxiliary engine on his Cape Dory 36 18000lbs disp. At 2200 rpm on the Honda the boat moved 5.2 kts in a calm sea. This is clear testimony that disputes the venerable opinion of BillK. This reminds me of a sea head versus composting toilet thread where all those who have never used a composting head are adamantly against them. Yves has used the same engine and mount on his Alberg 30 for decades and has circumnavigated. The owner of the CD36 said the Honda mounted on the port side quarter worked great but eventually sold it because he didn't like the overall aesthetic of the outboard on the side of the boat. Darrell Nicholson of Practical Sailor bought it to use for testing this very question.
Old 26-10-2021, 19:05   #51

Thank you! Interesting. I don't doubt that a diesel is better, but it is encouraging to hear that people make it work. I know people who make passages with no motor, so commenters who say you should never go anywhere without an inboard, I don't agree with them.
It reminds me of commenters on posts about electric motors who say they are terrible because they prefer internal combustion.
I would like to go electric personally but not sure I can manage it this year.
Bluenoserumlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 19:10   #52

Quote:
Thank you! Interesting. I don't doubt that a diesel is better, but it is encouraging to hear that people make it work. I know people who make passages with no motor, so commenters who say you should never go anywhere without an inboard, I don't agree with them.
It reminds me of commenters on posts about electric motors who say they are terrible because they prefer internal combustion.
Me too and probably will one day trade in my outboard for an electric inboard when I can afford the lithiums. Personally I am not convinced that diesels are better or that they make you a better sailor. Diesels may help you get where your going faster when you are on a fixed land-based schedule, but thats not sailing thats motoring.
Old 26-10-2021, 19:45   #53

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
It is convenient to have a motor, one which is readily available and powerful enough to move your boat in a bit of wind (and stop it when needed).

I think a 6hp would be marginal and mostly inconvenient. Whatever size, it would be best if mounted on the quarter, not on the stern, with controls, etc, (otherwise, how do you start the thing, anyhow?)

In my view I'd either rig up a permenant solution or forget it. You can sail most places, and you can call on the radio for help getting into the marina if you don't know it well enough to sail in.

I have a 15hp and a good dingy. I could use that if my diesel was down and I needed to go 10 miles, etc, but I don't plan on it.
Old 26-10-2021, 19:51   #54

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiCountryDon View Post
Why?
He is correct in his statement.
Don
Right or wrong he was rude and disparaging to the OP.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 20:02   #55

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
People aren’t doing it because it’s easier and more reliable to just fix what you already have (the diesel) than to rig up an outboard.
If you do this, just get a bigger outboard.
You just need to have the throttle and shift available.
Point it straight.
You steer with the tiller or wheel.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 20:24   #56

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
If you do this, just get a bigger outboard.
You just need to have the throttle and shift available.
Point it straight.
You steer with the tiller or wheel.
SV Cloud Duster
And how about electric start? (or do you lay on your tummy to pull the starting cord?)
Old 26-10-2021, 20:37   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
And how about electric start? (or do you lay on your tummy to pull the starting cord?)
Actually the CD owner I cited earlier speced a manual start for reliability. You start the outboard before lowering it.
Old 26-10-2021, 21:31   #58

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Some of the sailboats around here in this situation just tie on a longer cord to extend the pull start. One or two have cable controls. Some stick on a tiller extension. For one-off needs, as said lash a skiff to the stern quarter and run the outboard on that. This all works fine around here for moving within the harbor under normal conditions, which is what it sounded like the question was about. Works better with two people though.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 21:34   #59

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Oh you mean those tiny cables that hang over the transom? Or fuel hose?
You can simply plumb these into the transom.
Don't see a problem there.
If your running something with more HP.
You don't want to pull a cord for sure.
All you'll have to do is lay on your belly and push a button.
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 23:08   #60

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeanda View Post
We move our 39 foot, 25,000 lb sailboat around the marina with a 9.9 pretty regularly by tying the dinghy alongside. Rig it so you can untie quickly if you need to scoot the dinghy around and give a push in one direction or another.
^^ This.
As someone who owns a boat with no provision for an inboard, my boat is small enough that the outboard works fine. But for your boat I highly recommend fixing/rebuilding the inboard as soon as you can. Even folks who sail most of the time need an engine to get out of a jam once in a while.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, outboard