Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2021, 08:34   #1

Location: My sailboat (currently in Ontario Canada, heading south imminently)
Boat: G26
Can anyone near the St Lawrence move a 25 foot sailboat asap please?

Hello,
I'm Ann, good to meet you (hugs and tea all 'round) (with masks and social distancing of course!)

Against all odds, my perfect sailboat found me!!! Can anyone move a 25 foot Cape Dory sailboat from Alexandria Bay (NY) to my friends' farm near Mallorytown (ONT)?

She needs a tow across the St Lawrence, then to be hauled... she's missing a shroud and an outboard, also needs a ton of cleaning and some repairs, or I'd say sail her

Meanwhile, if you want to know more about me, I made my way from Calgary to Ottawa, mostly by foot, with my service/support dog, to raise awareness about the climate crisis, in 2019... And then i camped outside the prime minister's office from Dec 5 till Ottawa was put on lockdown the first time in mid-March of that year... There's a Facebook page called The Expedition - Walk to Waken the Nation... Also quite a lot of articles, etc, elsewhere online and in the news... Please look up my chosen name, Ann Cognito, and my legal name, Tanya Bucknor (one of these days I'll get around to changing it)

I gave up my sailboat dream, and my teeny tiny beginnings of a teeny tiny sailboat budget, to do that... Everything i carried with me was stolen on the road while stopped in a city... Everything i own was stolen from storage while I camped in Ottawa

But the universe has given me a 25 foot Cape Dory sailboat!!! My exact dream boat... She's even already painted blue

I just need someone to get her from Alexandria Bay (NY) to my friends' farm near Mallorytown (ONT)

Please contact me if you can do any or all of this, hopefully for a kind price

My phone stinks but the number is (647)625-6271

Email is anncognito@protonmail.com

Or Messenger and text messages work too

Sincerely and hopefully,
Ann
Ann Cognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 11:01   #2

Boat: Shearwater 45 Staysail Schooner
Re: Can anyone near the St Lawrence move a 25 foot sailboat asap please?

It is not possible to personally or have a friend take your boat to Canada, at this time, due to COVID restrictions. We are in VA praying for Canada to open up to private yacht visitation so we can bring our Schooner home to usa Lake Ontario via the St Lawrence.
IMHO, Best way to move it would be to call Andrews Trucking in St. Catherine’s, Ontario. Ask for Glenn and explain your need. Then contact an import broker to arrange customs paperwork. Have a yard where it can be unloaded and splashed in advance.
Either way there is a lot of paperwork to take a usa boat to Canada.
Or you can just wait till the border opens up, but you will still have the paperwork.
Great boat, I’ve sailed Cape Dory’s for over 30 years, your gonna love her!,
capemiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:12   #3

Thank you, I'll check

I'm not trying to sneak around restrictions, and I take this pandemic very seriously... That's why I need her -- so I can stop couchsurfing, because it's bloody terrifying being homeless in a pandemic.. I was caught between circumstances when the pandemic began, and everything has been a mess since then... But I can live on her and be safe
Old 05-05-2021, 10:09   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

Ann, I don't want to be a downer, but as CM says, unless this is done commercially, it's going to be difficult to do this as long as the border remains closed to recreational traffic. The only way might be to have a fellow Canadian bring it across, but since you're asking for a tow it seems more likely this tow person would be an American. But they can't cross by boat right now (unless they have a commercial license to do so).

And you will also have to clear into customs (is Mallorytown a customs location?) and import the boat once it arrives in Canada. At very least you're going to get dinged for HST on the value of the boat (not necessarily what you paid).
Old 05-05-2021, 11:15   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

It can be done.
If the person towing the boat is paid. He can get a Commercial Transaction Number from US customs if he's American or Canada Customs if he's Canadian. Both countries recognize each other CTN's.

We'll be in the area around the end of June. If you haven't worked it out by then get a hold of us and perhaps we can do it for you .... $1.00 .... in advance

Mike is right, you will get dinged on HST but we may be able to help lower that ... we have ways
Old 05-05-2021, 14:20   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
It can be done.
If the person towing the boat is paid. He can get a Commercial Transaction Number from US customs if he's American or Canada Customs if he's Canadian. Both countries recognize each other CTN's.

We'll be in the area around the end of June. If you haven't worked it out by then get a hold of us and perhaps we can do it for you .... $1.00 .... in advance

Mike is right, you will get dinged on HST but we may be able to help lower that ... we have ways
There ya go Ann. This is your best ticket to making your plans actually happen.

BTW, speaking as one land-homeless person to another, there are other options than couch-surfing. My boat is my only home, but I've been barred from even seeing it for over a year and a half now (it's in Newfoundland). I've managed to keep a roof over my head with a combination of friends, family and most importantly, house sitting.
Old 05-05-2021, 15:08   #7

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
It can be done.

There you go Ann, you've got an excellent offer. Now, before anything, make sure you have the boat's documentation in order - the Title and bill of sale. These will be necessary for the customs clearance and to register your boat in Ontario.
I also bought my boat in upstate New York but had it trucked thru customs, and the process is a lot easier if the owner is present - something to plan for if you decide to transport it by land.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 18:39   #8

Hello
I apologize for not seeing these responses ☹️ thank you all for trying to be so helpful (hugs and tea all 'round)

Things went completely sidewards but other things worked out for now… I found another sailboat

She's a Grampian 26, and she's a good boat… doesn't need much work, but having said that -- i already have a question (will post seperately) and will probably find more

Hope all's well with all your boats!
Ann
Old 13-06-2021, 19:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
There you go Ann, you've got an excellent offer. Now, before anything, make sure you have the boat's documentation in order - the Title and bill of sale. These will be necessary for the customs clearance and to register your boat in Ontario.
I also bought my boat in upstate New York but had it trucked thru customs, and the process is a lot easier if the owner is present - something to plan for if you decide to transport it by land.
SVTatia... I'm sorry, that's so sad... I really hope things change... Come sailing?
Old 13-06-2021, 19:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Cognito View Post
Hello
I apologize for not seeing these responses ☹️ thank you all for trying to be so helpful (hugs and tea all 'round)

Things went completely sidewards but other things worked out for now… I found another sailboat

She's a Grampian 26, and she's a good boat… doesn't need much work, but having said that -- i already have a question (will post seperately) and will probably find more

Hope all's well with all your boats!
Ann

Glad things are progressing. Grampians are great, solid, simple boats. I've sailed a few 26s and 30s, and owned a Grampian 34 for many years. Good luck with the new (old) boat.
Old 13-06-2021, 19:31   #11

Thank you, Mike
Simple and solid, that's what I've read and it's good to keep hearing.. She's downright spacious, too!
Old 13-06-2021, 19:59   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Cognito View Post
Thank you, Mike
Simple and solid, that's what I've read and it's good to keep hearing.. She's downright spacious, too!

Yes indeed, for a 26-footer, she's got a lot of living and storage space.
Old 13-06-2021, 20:06   #13

Oodles! Sort of like a sea vardo (but not needing to be pulled) (knock on wood)

Tags
asa, boat, enc, lease, sail, sailboat