Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2021, 17:01   #31

Boat: Nonsuch 30Ultra Grand Banks 36
Re: Can I move my 38-foot boat with an outboard?

Why?
He is correct in his statement.
Don
MultiCountryDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 17:05   #32

Boat: Nonsuch 30Ultra Grand Banks 36

Please note that almost every poster has said:
1)Can be done
2) Very bad idea except as LAST resort.

Bill was correct and the concensus is just that.
MultiCountryDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 17:40   #33

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiCountryDon View Post
Bill was correct and the concensus is just that.
I think the pushback was not on the summary, but on this sentence:

Quote:
But, honestly, if you were that good a sailor, you probably wouldn't need to ask the question...
To many this will seem a bit snarky, but that is not necessarily how it was meant. The difficulty with the internet is we don't see the facial expressions or body language, or hear the tone in which it was spoken. It might have been a put-down, but it also might have been meant to be amusing. That is one reason that using an appropriate emoji can be useful. In the end we should be giving each other the benefit of the doubt, not looking for a fight. And be very careful before submitting a post...

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 17:42   #34

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara Mae View Post
Comments like that of BillK should not be encouraged.
He’s right you know.

Someone who sticks a small outboard is going to be a problem.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 17:43   #35

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
that expose his flawed premises and false assumptions to encourage others to dismiss his barbed inputs as pompous oneupmanship.
Umm.... Pot, meet Kettle...

Jim
Old 26-10-2021, 17:59   #36

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

If you are cruising from FL consider that the cost of repairing the engine will increase for each degree of latitude that you move South. You are signing up for maintaining this situation for the duration of the cruise.
Considering this I suggest:
1 - Make your inboard reliable now.
2 - Make a reliable outboard solution work considering that conditions may not always be benign.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 18:00   #37

Boat: Cape Dory 30c

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiCountryDon View Post
Why?
He is correct in his statement.
Don
Because he ridicules the inquiry, belittles the inquirer in order to dominate the discourse. He might be a competent sailor but here on CR he is a bully. I don't like bullies and more importantly I don't trust bullies. Make your point. Share the knowledge no need to disparage other members. There are many members here with considerable knowledge that I suspect exceeds BillK's and they express themselves effectively, eloquently sans vitriol. I know several master mariners with unlimited ocean tonnage certificates, long liners, off-shore rig supply captains, CCGR, and Ship Pilots on the Thames. Not one of them ever denigrated me for asking my questions and managed to provide solid answers from their professional experience without once commenting on my skills, seamanship, intellect and or lack thereof. As a group they were empathetic, safety conscious and encouraging. I think Bill might be an imposter covering up is relative lack of professional experience with arrogance and disparagement.
Mara Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 18:02   #38

I want to thank almost everybody who replied. I learned a lot from the answers, learned about the experiences of people who have faced similar challenge. You could spend a lot of time talking to people at marinas and not learn nearly as much.

I find the negative snarkiness of some comments dispiriting, but that's the internet for you. I don't know why some people want to take digs at someone who asks a question, but I guess I should just assume they are unhappy, sour-faced losers and then forget about them.
Bluenoserumlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 18:05   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoserumlvr View Post
I want to thank almost everybody who replied. I learned a lot from the answers, learned about the experiences of people who have faced similar challenge. You could spend a lot of time talking to people at marinas and not learn nearly as much.

I find the negative snarkiness of some comments dispiriting, but that's the internet for you. I don't know why some people want to take digs at someone who asks a question, but I guess I should just assume they are unhappy, sour-faced losers and then forget about them.
Yes thats the internet at large, but we do not have to tolerate that behaviour here at CR. Your questions, thoughts and reflections are encouraged and just identify the blowhards and bullies and add them to your ignore list. I will continue to call them out to encourage enlightened discourse and respectful debate.
Old 26-10-2021, 18:09   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Umm.... Pot, meet Kettle...

Jim
Unclear as to your implication. I do not disparage members, but I will pronounce on personal attacks from bullies. You are a moderator and let this "But, honestly, if you were that good a sailor, you probably wouldn't need to ask the question..." go, but call me out for advocating in defence of the OP? Not sure you understand your mandate.
Old 26-10-2021, 18:10   #41

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
BillK does this all the time. He is a bully who seems to enjoy disparaging rhetoric.
I try not to notice such behavior so it takes a while for me to associate such comments with an individual. And as far as responding to them I always try to remind myself of two important concepts:

1) Never get into a pissing match with a skunk, and

2) Never get into an argument with a fool: he will drag you down to his level and then beat you with his superior experience.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 18:11   #42

Quote:
Yes thats the internet at large, but we do not have to tolerate that behaviour here at CR. Your questions, thoughts and reflections are encouraged and just identify the blowhards and bullies and add them to your ignore list. I will continue to call them out to encourage enlightened discourse and respectful debate.
Thank you!
Old 26-10-2021, 18:12   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhoof View Post
If you are cruising from FL consider that the cost of repairing the engine will increase for each degree of latitude that you move South. You are signing up for maintaining this situation for the duration of the cruise.
Considering this I suggest:
1 - Make your inboard reliable now.
2 - Make a reliable outboard solution work considering that conditions may not always be benign.
To open, maybe, an entirely different kettle of fish, does anyone know anything about Cuban mechanics? I am headed for Havana, and I know they do wonders with old cars, but I am not sure about diesels.
Old 26-10-2021, 18:19   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I try not to notice such behavior so it takes a while for me to associate such comments with an individual. And as far as responding to them I always try to remind myself of two important concepts:

1) Never get into a pissing match with a skunk, and

2) Never get into an argument with a fool: he will drag you down to his level and then beat you with his superior experience.

Greg
Thanks

1. He did the same thing to me. So it was easy to identify him.

2. I believe I maintained the moral high ground.

3. Thanks
Old 26-10-2021, 18:19   #45

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Unclear as to your implication. I do not disparage members, but I will pronounce on personal attacks from bullies.
My point was that your specific and disrespectful assessment of BillK is at least as demeaning and snarky as his was. Yours in particular does not meet the CF rule about "being nice". Accusing him of being a bully is more of a personal attack than his indirect question about sailing ability. You both need to back off and consider obeying the rules that you agreed to when you joined CF. If you should encounter a post that offends you, flag it and leave it to the moderator team to deal with the situation.

BTW, in this case I am posting as a regular member of CF, not as a moderator.

Jim

Tags
boat, outboard