Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2013, 18:04   #1

Alternate oil filter for Westerbeke 46?

Hi All,

As others have obviously learned before me, buying engine-specific oil filters for older engines from on-line marine suppliers can be an expensive proposition. For my Westerbeke 46, Torresen (now Toad) wants $15 and change plus shipping. So I'm looking for a filter that I can pick up at an auto parts store for much less. I found a Fram filter that was the right size in terms of the gasket and over-all size, but the threads were too big to fit on the engine's oil filter port. (Standard vs. Metric?) Anyone have any suggestion on how to find a compatible oil filter? ( I actually need a filter somewhat shorter in length than the stock W46 filter because my 100 amp alternator does not leave enough room for it.) Thanks for any help you can offer.
neptune919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 18:11   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Alternate oil filter for Westerbeke 46?

i take the numbers of the correct one and or the one i took off the engine, i run to napa and i find a proper one with the help of the friendly counter salesman or saleslady.
very easy.
mhave fun

auto also works, but..they usually have fream .. so does walmart,and a few other places ........
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 18:44   #3

If you can pick, try to get a purolator. I think the L30001 will fit. On their website they have the dimensions so you can scope it out a bit. WIX also makes good filters.

Between Purolator and WIX I bet you might be able to call them and see if they have something that would fit that's a bit shorter.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 14:15   #4

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I buy Baldwin filters filters for several marine diesels from: BF Web Express :: Air Filters, Oil Filters, Fuel Filters, Lube Filters, Coolant Filters.

Their price is 10-20% better than any best price I could get from Napa.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 14:55   #5

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
I went to a local diesel parts supplier with my old engine mounted spin-on fuel filter when i needed a smaller one. They measured everything, looked in there massive parts catalog and found one that would fit yet took up much less space. The fuel was already filtered by racor i didn't need another huger filter on the engine.

I tried napa and some of the other large parts stores with no success. A proper diesel parts supplier with truly knowledgable staff should be able to help you find a filter that will work for you.

Tags
oil, oil filter, westerbeke